reputable tuning shop in the south bay w/AWD dyno?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 04:42 PM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
reputable tuning shop in the south bay w/AWD dyno?

i'm looking for a high quality, reputable tuning shop in the south bay that runs an AWD dyno. anyone know of a good one that they'd reccomend? nothing ricey, just some place that has guys who know how to run the dyno and make good, usable horsepower. thanks.
Old 05-13-2003, 05:43 PM
2006 Mt Hammy Car Show Winner

Car Info: Black 03 WRX, White 04 E46 M3
i haven't heard many good things about ATP. A little OT but does vishnu tune UTEC's or no since it's not their product and they dont know how?
Old 05-13-2003, 05:45 PM

thanks for playing nice, i appreciate it. damn, pleasanton and fremont are a ways away for me, especially if i'm stuck in traffic. would i be correct in assuming that the Vishnu in pleasanton is the same crew that runs http://vishnu-performance.com ? ATP is closer, but i've never even heard of it. I can't believe that there isn't anything in San Jose. anybody know of a similar place somewhere on the Penninsula? thanks.
Old 05-13-2003, 05:52 PM

Car Info: 2000 2.5RS Silverthorn
I-Speed can tune your car on ATP's Dyno.

www.I-SpeedUSA.com
Old 05-13-2003, 07:27 PM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
Originally posted by scoobiesnacks
I-Speed can tune your car on ATP's Dyno.

www.I-SpeedUSA.com
aren't you guys doing road tunes still?

and dropkickmuppets (great name) no shivnu does not tune anything that he does not sell. if your car has one part that he does not sell, he might not tune your car. if you want his tuning knowledge for your car, you can only use parts he sells. you can make your own judgement call on that.

having said that, i must say that i have not dealt with any tuners in the area except mpj/gb in hayward. what i have said above is merely what i have gathered from people's posts on this and other boards. there are plenty of people who are very happy with shiv's work and i have personally driven a vishnu stage 2 car and must say that it was nothing short of awesome.

so basically, there are pros and cons to each tuner you might choose. once you know what those are, you can make a more informed choice as to who you trust your car to. good luck.
Old 05-13-2003, 07:59 PM

Car Info: 2000 2.5RS Silverthorn
Originally posted by Steppin Razor
aren't you guys doing road tunes still?
Yes, but dyno tuning can also be done at ATP.
Old 05-13-2003, 09:25 PM

Chris,
i'm one of those people that doesn't really care what the big numbers are, but i really care about the little details. i have no intention of taking the car over about 280hp at the crank -- my concern is getting the turbo to spool quickly, make good (relatively speaking) low end torque, and to make sure that the mods i'm doing are going in the right direction and working well. it's not so much that i think i need a dyno tune, it's more about being interested in establishing a performance baseline, and then building on that. i'm the kind of guy that breaks out the torque wrench for everything, even if i know what 14 ft/lbs feels like on a bolt.

Steppin Razor,
thanks for the heads up on Vishnu, i don't have any of their parts, nor am i thinking about adding any. i'm glad i know now, so that i dont' waste the time driving out there. where on earth do people do 'road tunes?' i'm assuming that such a tune involves driving arround on the road, with a laptop sitting on the passenger's lap running data logging software, right? it's one thing to check jetting by pulling over after a full throttle run to check for carbon deposits on a motorcycle, but quite something else on a car. short of a NASA run way, i can't think of anywhere to do such a tune up. that said, i used to have a buddy who made two top speed runs on an actual NASA runway on his Yamaha R1 --sadly he doesn't work there anymore.
Old 05-13-2003, 09:40 PM

is i-speed in any way related to ATP or do they just come with you and help tune while your car is on the dyno. Also how much do they charge and will that fee be included in the dyno cost or do you have to pay the tuning fee on top of the dyno fee. And one more question how much is a road tune? Well okay one more if they charge for the hour how long does it normally take for them to get your car tuned?
Old 05-13-2003, 09:42 PM

o nm i just saw it on their site. I might do this in the future since i live like 10 min from ATP.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:58 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Go with Bill from I-Speed!

-Gagan
Old 05-14-2003, 10:51 AM

thanks for the explanation of a road tune, that's quite helpful. i'm going to add a programable ECU at some point, but it's not the first mod i'm going to make. i'll have to call ATP to see what their dyno rates are, and make an appointment for a baseline run before i go about installing any new parts. i'll go back in between installs for additional runs, and then hit up I-speed for a final road/dyno tune once i've got everything installed.
Old 05-16-2003, 09:50 AM

Let me just make one correction to an inaccurate post ... Vishnu does tune cars with other people products. Anyone who states otherwise is lying. I've seen him tune many other people products.

ATP - uses an inground Dynojet (forgot what model) running windows software - the one that steals HP I believe its $90 for a baseline (3 runs).

Vishnu - uses a ground-level Dyno Dynamics. It does tend to read lower than the Dynojet (check for my old post about the dyno comparison ... DD-> 224whp Dynojet --> 278whp). I believe Vishnu charges $90 for a baseline - using as many runs as it takes for the curves to stablize.

On a different note, last month I dyno'd on the Vishnu Dyno 251whp and then drove down to HKS (just north of LA) and dyno'd 296whp on their inground Dynojet.

Steve

Quick Reply: reputable tuning shop in the south bay w/AWD dyno?