Replacement LED for maglite flashlights...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 08:44 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by ryball
Oh, and just FYI, the drop in Maglite LED's will drop into regulation very quickly due to heat. There is a little circuit in the pill that will drop output within a minute or two to protect the emitter. There are a few out there that have good heatsinking, and will hold out longer at peak output, but for the most part you are better off getting a dedicated LED light.

Not trying to rip on it, just letting you all know that the stated output on those things is pretty much useless and does not reflect real world output.

Oh well, I gave the one I had to my dad and he loves it.
The drop-in as in the Mag brand LED bulb replacement? If so - no, they don't clip out. I just went camping with my 2x - 1 is a 3D w/ a 2CEL LED and the other is an off-the-shelf 4D LED MAG. In light of me forgetting my lantern, we used the 4D light sitting against my 2.5gal water container as a light and it stayed like this for a couple hours. I have never seen either light conk out - and the 2Cel powered by 3 cels should if any will. Maybe you are talking about something different. Lights are fun..

EDIT: Sorry - I should say mine have never conked out, but this is 2x and the 3cel powered 2Cel LED I have had for over a year now.

Last edited by wombatsauce; 04-30-2007 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:05 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
The drop-in as in the Mag brand LED bulb replacement? If so - no, they don't clip out. I just went camping with my 2x - 1 is a 3D w/ a 2CEL LED and the other is an off-the-shelf 4D LED MAG. In light of me forgetting my lantern, we used the 4D light sitting against my 2.5gal water container as a light and it stayed like this for a couple hours. I have never seen either light conk out - and the 2Cel powered by 3 cels should if any will. Maybe you are talking about something different. Lights are fun..

EDIT: Sorry - I should say mine have never conked out, but this is 2x and the 3cel powered 2Cel LED I have had for over a year now.
No, no, I didn't mean to say that they will completely conk out, they will drop the power level supplied to the emitter. Light output will not be "peak". You might not even be able to tell the difference when it drops without paying close attention, but suffice it to say, it will be less than optimal.

I didn't at all mean to say that they will turn off. They will not. They will just turn "down" because they are not heatsinked so the rated output that Mag advertises is not accurate.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:26 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by ryball
No, no, I didn't mean to say that they will completely conk out, they will drop the power level supplied to the emitter. Light output will not be "peak". You might not even be able to tell the difference when it drops without paying close attention, but suffice it to say, it will be less than optimal.

I didn't at all mean to say that they will turn off. They will not. They will just turn "down" because they are not heatsinked so the rated output that Mag advertises is not accurate.
Ah, I see. I have never noticed anything, but if it's small I probably wouldn't have - especially when it's really dark. I have noticed that the 4D is a little brighter but not as even and precise as my Inova T3. T3 fits in a pocket nicer tho...