Replacement LED for maglite flashlights...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 10:49 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
We do (it just hasn't been added to the site yet), but I'd highly suggest the TLR-2 instead. It's cheaper, it's aluminum, it's LED (and therefore easier on batteries), and I find the build quality to be WAY better. The only downsides to the TLR-2 is that although the light is waterproof, the laser is only water resistant, and the light is more difficult to attach/detach with the gun.

-Chris

Last edited by bassplayrr; 12-12-2006 at 10:52 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:58 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
how much is it? All I really care about is the laser. But the led option is sweet. I have an m6 now and I looooooooooooove it. Laser is at zero after about 5000 rounds through various pistols.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:32 PM
VIP Member

I have it on sale right now for $248.38. 5000 rounds out of your M6 ain't bad man. I would have figured that the bulb/lamp module would have gone out before the laser though.

Last edited by bassplayrr; 12-12-2006 at 11:34 PM.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:40 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
Originally Posted by bassplayrr
I have it on sale right now for $248.38. 5000 rounds out of your M6 ain't bad man. I would have figured that the bulb/lamp module would have gone out before the laser though.

I have to heartily agree on the TLR-2. I have one and it is awesome. The other benefit of the led is that you don't have to worry about the bulb going because of impulse shock. I have no problems with attaching/ detaching, it is super easy.

Last edited by ryball; 12-13-2006 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:49 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by bassplayrr
Sweet, thanks for the link. The only reason I prefer candlepower to lumens is because lumens measure only the theoretical light put out by the bulb/led with no optics, whereas candlepower measures the brightness of the focused beam. In otherwords, a light with higher lumens can be less "bright" than a light with lower lumens but a better focusing system. A good example is the Inova TIROS optics system. Inovas with this optic system are usually brigher to the naked eye than similar wattage/lumen led lights. This is better represented with a candlepower rating. I swear some of those people just go by lumes because it makes them sound more so like they know what they're talking about.

-Chris
Yeah, I know. I did a ton of reading and decided that I don't care about numbers. I have been going off of practical beam shot pics to gauge.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:06 PM
VIP Member

If you guys are thinking about doing this, Home Depot has Mags on sale until today, I think... %20 off. I picked up some 2C's the other day.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:08 PM
VIP Member

Still 10 cents more than I sell them for, but you have to pay shipping with me. Damn home depot.

-Chris
Old 12-13-2006, 03:28 PM

Car Info: GDA
that Mag85 DIY sounds insane! sweet as it may be, i don't think i'd do it on the basis that i like things to be simple. the high heat aspect of the Mag85 doesn't sound very appealing. what is your experience with the heat generated by the bulb/light, ryball?
Old 12-14-2006, 07:50 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by doughboy
that Mag85 DIY sounds insane! sweet as it may be, i don't think i'd do it on the basis that i like things to be simple. the high heat aspect of the Mag85 doesn't sound very appealing. what is your experience with the heat generated by the bulb/light, ryball?
It gets hot, but it is not un-manageable. I don't use it for more than a couple of minutes anyway. Anything requires a light to be on for an extended amount of time (hiking etc.), I just use one of my LED lights, anyway. I never used my regular mags for that kind of stuff before.

It's great for lighting up the backyard and scaring away critters at night.

The mod is super easy once you decide what parts you are going to get. If you have a mag laying around, I HIGHLY recommend it.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:25 AM

Car Info: GDA
i gave in to temptation after reading this thread and upgraded my 3D-cell Maglite to the LED version. i love it! the light is brighter but equally important is the extended battery life. it's perfect b/c it's so simple and low maintenance.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:02 PM
VIP Member

Okay, I've kinda gone overboard on this flashlight thing in the past couple of months.

I finally finished my first Mag LED mod. Here is the thread over on the Candlepower forums:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=163134

This is another flashlight that is brighter than is practical. It looks like the sun. The difference is that this one does not really get hot.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:33 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
I've gone waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overboard and got a Borealis 1050.

[streamlite stinger (twice as bright as a maglight)

and here is the Borealis:

1050 lumins! (remember that flashlight that catches paper on fire?)

Name:  951lumens.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  6.5 KB

Its crazy bright...

See this thread for details:

http://www.gunatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1738
Old 04-29-2007, 05:59 PM

Car Info: WRX --> RX-8--〉E93
Originally Posted by ryball
Okay, I've kinda gone overboard on this flashlight thing in the past couple of months.

I finally finished my first Mag LED mod. Here is the thread over on the Candlepower forums:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=163134

This is another flashlight that is brighter than is practical. It looks like the sun. The difference is that this one does not really get hot.

lol you are one step slower than brucelee again, his new flashlight will kill that haha i mean MELT that
Old 04-29-2007, 08:37 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by wimprezax06
lol you are one step slower than brucelee again, his new flashlight will kill that haha i mean MELT that
Not really

I made myself a Mag85 right after this thread started (which is what the Borealis is). It is an awesome light, but very easy to build and not very useful. That doesn't really matter though, because the light it puts out is so ridiculous. It is likely to impress anyone on the planet.

After I got tired of the Mag85, I made a Mag 2C with a Carley 1499 bulb that is actually a lot whiter and nearly as bright as the Welch Allyn bulb the Mag85 uses. I like it better than the Mag85 form factor. The Mag C's fit my hand better.

The tri-led light that I posted the picture of is a lot more complicated to build and is in the end more useful than the Mag85. That is why I posted it. It took a lot of research and I built it myself. I'm pretty proud of it.

The Mag85 can only run for maybe 10-15 minutes before it gets too hot. The led light runs for over an hour easily, never gets more than warm, and only uses two li-ion batteries that are a lot easier and quicker to charge than the 9 AA's the Mag85 uses. Also Nimh batteries drain in the Mag85 if you let them sit. The li-ion batteries hold their charge.

If you want to, I can help you build your own Mag85. It's very simple and the satisfaction of making it yourself is priceless. Just out of curiosity Dan, how much did your future father in-law pay for it?

Last edited by ryball; 04-29-2007 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:45 AM
VIP Member

Oh, and just FYI, the drop in Maglite LED's will drop into regulation very quickly due to heat. There is a little circuit in the pill that will drop output within a minute or two to protect the emitter. There are a few out there that have good heatsinking, and will hold out longer at peak output, but for the most part you are better off getting a dedicated LED light.

Not trying to rip on it, just letting you all know that the stated output on those things is pretty much useless and does not reflect real world output.

Oh well, I gave the one I had to my dad and he loves it.

Quick Reply: Replacement LED for maglite flashlights...