Repainting the whole car. I am worried.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2003, 12:29 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
Repainting the whole car. I am worried.

I need to get the whole car repainted. My WRX that is. My problem is that I am scared. I have never seen a completely repainted car that looked perfect. I know that it is a matter of $. You get what you pay for sort of deal.

I am looking into various places to get the car repainted. What should I be expacting to pay?

I want to get the car semi-prepped myself and install all the body panels myself afterwards. That way that part of the job will be done up to my standards. Hehe.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 04-26-2003, 01:53 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!
talk to freddie, he seems to know a lot about paint and stuff

Good luck
Old 04-26-2003, 02:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 98 2.5RS WR Blue (breathin fire/not on fire)
hey alex.....i know Anthony's Auto Craft in San Rafael does some of the best work I've ever seen here in Marin......I'm sure you're gonna pay for it though!!!!
They repainted my freinds 740 bimmer a couple times...and it looked amazing
andrew
Old 04-26-2003, 02:08 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 98 2.5RS WR Blue (breathin fire/not on fire)
oh yeah forgot to mention prices....figure $3500-$5000
total.....i don't think prepping it yourself is a good idea....
you prep + they paint = unhappy IMPREZER
and then they can just tell you any of the paint problems we're your fault!!! I do have a body shop here at the dealership!!! they repainted my bimmer top to bottom and it looks amazing...
give me a call..i have some good input!!
Old 04-26-2003, 03:11 PM

Car Info: baby blue TRICK STAR on pink TUFF II's (MIA) =(
Arrow

I'm semi-hungover as I type this, so please excuse me if this message is choppy.

I've had several friends, who have had their cars "completely" repainted--door jams, engine bay, & undercarriage. Most of them did not do the interior--under carpet, dash, etc. though. I'm not sure how extensive of a repaint you're looking for, Imprezer, but sounds like you want at least the exterior, engine bay, & door jams.

The best repaint/color changes I've seen have been done @ Euro Design in South San Francisco. It's a very well known shop, esp in the show car circles and handles a lot of custom work for celebs--athletes & entertainers as well. Their work is PRICEY, but in the case of body/paintwork, you really do get what you pay for! If you're interested in Euro Design, contact RICH, the owner. Be forewarned, the shop usually is pretty busy and your car may be out of commission for a while.

Unfortunately, there are not very many other N. Cal shops I would wholeheartedly recommend for custom paint/body work. But if you are willing to send you car down to S. Cal, there are quite a few places where I would be confident in having the work done. 20/20 Autotech in the City of Industry & Auto Explosion in Torrance/Gardena both do top-quality work and have done jobs for many of the leading aftermarket manufacturers/tuners and award winning showcars.

I've personally had some minor custom jobs (painted hood scoop, front lip, fog covers, & a couple other goodies) performed @ 20/20 and can attest to the high quality and attention to detail of their work.

Hope this helps, and GOOD LUCK!!

Peace

CL

p.s. As RS-Turbo advised, I wouldn't recommend doing the prepwork on your car yourself. Not that I don't have confidence in your abilities, most shops do not like to work on cars &/or clean up jobs that others have performed.

Last edited by CLsmooth71; 04-26-2003 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-26-2003, 11:03 PM

Car Info: 14 Mazda3 sGT, SOLD 12/26: 00 2.5RS Sedan
Dude, if you're gonna go do the So Cal route, go to MOB Autoworks.

Oh yea, here's the site.

http://www.mobworks.com

Last edited by Hollandaze; 04-26-2003 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-26-2003, 11:41 PM

Car Info: '02 EJ25FXT Stage 2 "No Laggin' Wagon"
Reiterating what many have said, I was thinking about repainting my '90 Civic si back in the day and from everything I researched, 80% of the success of the paint job is rely heavily on the preparation of the car. The remaining 20% is going to be split between the actual paint job and finish work.

I'm pretty sure if you try to prep the car yourself, many high end shops will more than likely not touch your car or even go through and prep your car anyway and charge you for it. Let them do everything if that's what you are planning.

Just promise us you're not going to paint the car with that ghetto, "Look at how my car changes color as you drive by" crap. And for God's sake, if you're gonna paint it yellow, choose a yellow from a European color pallete.
Old 04-27-2003, 12:26 AM

Car Info: 09 E90 M3 SEDAN w/DCT
I think a great paint job is going to cost you more in the price range of 6-10 grand. I got a couple of quotes on my car, and a complet paintjob was quoted anywhere from 6-10, from reputable shops, of course!

Man Alex, it must be nice to have deep *** pockets! U slinging crack on the side or something?

J/K!

Andy
Old 04-27-2003, 04:02 AM

Car Info: 2000 2.5RS Silverthorn
I have a friend that owns a Autobody shop. They do really good work. It is called Weird-oh's. They have a website. It is www.weird-ohs.net .

Tell him Orlando sent you. They do mostly hot rods and customs but im sure if I have a talk with him he will do it. Ill talk to him tomorrow in the morning and Ill get back to you.
Old 04-27-2003, 05:36 PM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
I've heard Corvette City in San Jose does very good work. Contact Aaron (international B) or Christian (w/ the M3) and they'll tell you about it.