Removing Weather Stripping for Load Carrier (UK & CA Spec)

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 11:18 AM

Car Info: '08 FXT Dark Gray Metallic
Question Need Help Removing Weather Stripping from Roof for Load Carrier

Hi There,

I have found that the Impreza comes with anchors under the weather stripping on the roof, for the load carriers that are sold in the UK and Canada. I really want to get these because I don't want to buy the typical Yakima or Thule racks with rubber feet.

I was wondering if anyone has this setup and wouldn't mine giving me a few minute demo of how to take off the weather stripping. I found a thread on NAIOC that discusses it, but it also has people's ill attempts at removing and is described as tricky.

I live in San Francisco and work in San Bruno, and wouldn't mind driving to have someone to show me how to do it. If you have this setup, I would also appreciate seeing it if fits on my GC8 (2000 RS) to ensure that I'm not buying something that doesn't fit.

Any help (physical or pictures) would be great.

Thanks-

P.S. I was thinking of using the online form of the UK dealer to buy it, but I'm wondering if they don't account of sending it to a different country with their shipping rates. Any thoughts? Or has anyone purchased from a Canadian dealer?

Last edited by 2point5AWD; 06-07-2006 at 07:38 AM.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:33 PM

Car Info: 05 PSM STi
if you figure out how to get them please let me know. i asked my brother in law back in japan to check on these same ones and all the dealers and acssoray shops say you have to buy the whole rack!!!! (BS) but if you find a way to get the towers only please tell.. or if i figure it out i'll be sure to drop you a line....
Old 06-07-2006, 07:37 AM

I was looking at the weather stripping yesterday and I noticed that the piece on the GC8 goes all the way from the bottom of the front windshield to the bottom of the rear one. This is posing a little bit of a problem because on the newer models it looks as thought it is only from the top of each piece of glass - hence, less to remove.

I tried looking up how to remove in the maintenance manual pdf I have but I couldn't find anything.

Someone has got to have some idea? Anyone? Bueller?
Old 06-07-2006, 09:49 AM

Car Info: 05 Audi S4... trying to mod the driver!!!
I have installed the Subaru Euro load carrier on my 02 wrx and now 05 sti... I can look at your strips and see if the design is the same. I will be in South Redwood City tomorrow afternoon until about 830pm if you want to meet up.

lndbrusr
Old 06-07-2006, 09:57 AM

Do you have a set of the Euro load carriers that we could possibly attempt to put on my car, so that i know for sure I'm not going to waste my money?

I work in San Bruno so I could drive down that way tomorrow after work. PM me and let me know where you'll be. I can leave work a little early, and be down there by 5:30. Does that work for you? PM me if you want.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:42 PM

Everything worked

To all that have been reading, I received the load bar setup for the GC8 model and have successfully put them on my car. The setup is a little different than the current model setup, in that the 4 pieces that connect to the car (that the roof rack clips onto) are not bolted to the car, they simply slide under the anchors under the weather stripping. However, with the amount of force it took to get them to “slide” under the anchors, they are not going anywhere on their own – simply put, I’m not worried in the slightest that these are going to fall off on their own.

Anyhow, it all worked. I just bought some used bike mounts from someone that had them on Thule square bars and it fit perfectly.

If anyone has any questions let me know-

~Eric
Old 07-10-2006, 03:45 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: 2018 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel EOC Stage 1
Originally Posted by 2point5AWD
To all that have been reading, I received the load bar setup for the GC8 model and have successfully put them on my car. The setup is a little different than the current model setup, in that the 4 pieces that connect to the car (that the roof rack clips onto) are not bolted to the car, they simply slide under the anchors under the weather stripping. However, with the amount of force it took to get them to “slide” under the anchors, they are not going anywhere on their own – simply put, I’m not worried in the slightest that these are going to fall off on their own.

Anyhow, it all worked. I just bought some used bike mounts from someone that had them on Thule square bars and it fit perfectly.

If anyone has any questions let me know-

~Eric
got any pics Eric?
Old 07-10-2006, 03:54 PM

Car Info: 05 Audi S4... trying to mod the driver!!!
Congrats Eric!

I am glad that it is working for you.

lndbrusr