Remote Start?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 10:10 AM
Loves the Anime

Car Info: STWODUCES
Originally Posted by Lurk
Take it to Audiomobile in Oakland. They do some clean installs.

Ask for Bo or Alan.
or just do it yourself. installing audio componets arent that hard. except for alarms. haha
Old 11-05-2007, 03:46 PM

I doubt you want to do any alarm install yourself. Go to Mach III in SF. They put mine in. You just need a bypass for the remote start. I dont know if that is illegal or not, but if you mod your car all parts are considered illegal for street use.

They carry the same alarm as viper and clifford made by the same company but under a different name.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:46 PM

Car Info: '14 Cayman
I have the clifford 3.5 matrix in my car. my buddy did it when he worked at circuit city. I would not recommend it. if you forget to put your car out of first when you park, and remote start it, you are ****ed. I remote started my car into a cement garbage can.

the alarm and remote start itself works fine. he did not cut into any lines, however he did just connect them without solder. (he just taped them together) its not as shady as it sounds, this way I dont have to worry about cutting into the wires and can be put back to stock without any harm.

Its cool to have the car warmed up on cold days, and cool it down with the built in turbo timer (you have to manually turbo time the car every time). On hot days, set the AC on before you shut off the car, so when you remote start it, the AC will be blasting. Theres nothing worst than hoping into an oven when the weather outside is hot enough.

As for shops that would actually install it for you, there are not many. There is such a huge liability for them if they install it into your car. If there is any damage from it, they can be sued up the A hole.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:08 PM

Car Info: '09 accord, '14 2 seater chevy
Compustar has models that they call manual transmission compatible.

Here's a blurb from the 2WSS manual
Step 1: After arriving at your destination, and BEFORE TURNING YOUR ENGINE OFF, place the transmission in the Neutral position.
Step 2: Remove your foot from the foot brake.
Step 3: Activate the parking brake.
Step 4: Remove the key from the ignition. The engine will remain running.
Step 5: Exit the vehicle and close the door within two minutes after activating the parking break. The engine will shut off and reservation mode for the remote
starter is now complete.
Your vehicle is now ready for auto-starting. However, the reservation mode will be cancelled if the door is opened or the CompuStar system is put in Valet
mode after the reservation has been set. Once cancelled, you will have to start the vehicle with the manual key and repeat the above 5 steps if you want to
restore reservation mode.
Important! If you try to auto-start the vehicle when reservation mode has not been set or turned on, the auto-start feature will not work. When you press the
auto-start button, the car parking lights will flash three times and the door icon in the CompuGLO LCD will be flashing to inform you that reservation mode has
not been set.
IMHO this is the only relatively safe remote start system for a manual transmission. Also 6000' range is pretty nice. With the car in the garage I tested it to about a mile and a half and still had reception.(I have a 2WSS-AS). The only pisser is that the 2 minute run time after you remove the key is not configurable.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:09 PM

Car Info: 06' 280whp/300wtq pig nose and 05' porsche cayenne
yeah bro i would not recommend it for S**T. i had a remote start on my car and my dad left it in gear and when i pressed the button to start it, it ran right through the garage.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by illusion
Compustar has models that they call manual transmission compatible.

Here's a blurb from the 2WSS manual

IMHO this is the only relatively safe remote start system for a manual transmission. Also 6000' range is pretty nice. With the car in the garage I tested it to about a mile and a half and still had reception.(I have a 2WSS-AS). The only pisser is that the 2 minute run time after you remove the key is not configurable.
thats the one I was talking about but couldn't remember the name
Old 11-05-2007, 07:36 PM

i remember in an old thread there was a certain type of remote starter, if the cars not in neutral then it won't start? Anyone heard of this? sounds pretty safe
Old 11-05-2007, 07:48 PM

Car Info: 1999 RBP 2.5RS coupe
Thumbs up

i have the clifford 3.5 matrix on my subaru also. I believe the alarm system itself ran for about $250ish? But im not sure cause my friends kidnapped my car and installed it on there for me as a birthday present. He use to work at the install bay at Fry's and i believed they charged between $100-$150 but i may be wrong.

From what i heard from my friend who installs alarms, autostart on a manual transmission is illegal. But you can find plenty of places who are willing to do the install. I've had mine for over a year now and i havent had any problems. Its good for wintertime when you park your car outside too.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:16 PM

Car Info: '14 Cayman
Originally Posted by sjscooby
i remember in an old thread there was a certain type of remote starter, if the cars not in neutral then it won't start? Anyone heard of this? sounds pretty safe
yea i forgot to mention this. there have been installs that have a ring around the trim of the shifter, so if your in first gear, it will (barely) touch with the ring and not remote start. this sounds like a good idea
Old 11-05-2007, 10:44 PM

Car Info: RIP: 2000 2.5RS Sedan, BRP Now: 08 WRB WRX Hatch
I have a remote starter on my car. I currently have the compuSTAR 2WSS. I've installed various alarms with remote starts and I still believe the compuSTAR modules are more advanced over the DEI (clifford/viper/etc) with safety features to enable the remote start. compuSTAR cost more than viper alarms and also have bigger 2way remotes, but compuSTAR alarms are worth it for their safety features. I've also noticed on some cars that the DEI remote starts has problems starting sometimes while my compuSTAR never had any problems cranking over.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:48 PM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
Originally Posted by Daios
I have a remote starter on my car. I currently have the compuSTAR 2WSS. I've installed various alarms with remote starts and I still believe the compuSTAR modules are more advanced over the DEI (clifford/viper/etc) with safety features to enable the remote start. compuSTAR cost more than viper alarms and also have bigger 2way remotes, but compuSTAR alarms are worth it for their safety features. I've also noticed on some cars that the DEI remote starts has problems starting sometimes while my compuSTAR never had any problems cranking over.
installed my alarm =) +1 for t3h daios.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:44 AM

Car Info: unicorn
most likely you'd be in neutral position if you have a turbo timer. haha
DONT LET YOUR FRIENDS REPARK YOUR CAR!!!

if you have a friend that works at best buy you can get it for 200 dollars.
best buy discount rocks!!!
Old 11-06-2007, 03:50 AM

Car Info: 06 GDB dirty white
Custom Car Alarm has some. down in Pleasant hill.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:19 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Awesome, great info, I really appreciate it!
Old 11-06-2007, 06:20 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
I guess another downside could be if you accidently started it when you were walking away from your car...like going to work for instance....

Quick Reply: Remote Start?