Rebuild my motor via Cosworth or sell and get EVO?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 10:23 AM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Been trying really hard to not reply to this thread but can't let this one by - I seriously strongly suggest against getting a C5 or C6 Corvette. Get loads of time with Skip Barber or something and learn to enjoy the STi, or get an EVO if that's what you want (seems like you have wanted one for a long time).
lol I know why your saying this and I agree. BUT...

If theyre not going to do that (likely), then its even dumber just to trade it for an evo. The STI and EVOs are just money pits, sorry guys

You can get a vette for pretty cheap now that will be plenty fast but they drive around much more relaxed than EVOS or STIs, I seriously stopped speeding when I got my vette, it just chuggs along at 2Krpms at 70mph on the freeway all day long and gets better mileage than my STI did. Makes enough power on pump gas that you'll likely no feel like spending thousands modding it and making it unreliable.
Its a surprisingly practical daily driver that you find yourself driving pretty casually most of the time, thats probably why its got one of the lowest insurance rates of any sports car (another bonus) but itf you ever do want to learn it ways and take it to a track day its a whole different beast!

Then again, yeah you should probably do what jacob said before you do anything. Track days are fun in any car and it might make you like your STI more.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:34 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: WRX, EVO, MSP3
Originally Posted by apetron
Smack still drives it to work occasionally, but last time I talked to him (few weeks ago) it was down because of a blown motor. I had asked him why I haven't seen the 9 in the garage recently.

He has a badass Evo X that he drives daily that already has a new turbo and a bunch of other goodies on it now too.
Sean's IX is not about as he decided to test it's off road ability at Super Lap in Buttonwillow causing his very nice Voltex splitter and rear diffuser to be shards of carbon scrap, last motor he tanked was well over a year ago and that was due too a faulty component in a rather expensive motor (crank counter weight snapped).

I actually drive it daily albeit only in and out of the shop while Sean awaits a new splitter and diffuser.

Mike
Old 02-25-2011, 10:59 AM

Car Info: 2005 forester
I saw you drive it (or try to ) on wed. that thing is a cold blooded *****. mike and I just had this talk two days ago and I would get a evo x and have brian tune it on e85 and leave it alone!!!!!

yea right! I love my subaru and cant wait for mike to put my 1200cc injectors in to turn up the boost. dan I would build your sti 320whp is not going to be a issue as far as strain on the car... good luck whatever you decide.... cough... sti...cough
Old 02-25-2011, 12:06 PM
Lil' Slugger

Car Info: 05 WRB STi Wagon/00 BRP GC Sedan
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
Like some people said, 320whp is not hard to achieve even on pump gas with the right turbo. Reliability, especially in your 07, will be mostly a luck of the draw. If you got lucky and got a good set of pistons from the factory, it will hold up just fine. If not, you'll need to rebuild the motor. At that point reliability is all up to the builder and the components you choose.

Thanks
-- Ed
Just out of curiosity what would you suggest for a build on the 07 for what he is looking for?
Old 02-25-2011, 12:23 PM

even tho my sti is pretty modded, I still believe st. 2 custom tune/tbe is the best value, and that thru most tight roads you can't use anymore power than that anyway. Sure you want to waste that much money? I'd really think about it. I never have any money to track my car, its just wasting away.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:24 PM

Car Info: 07 black piggy STI, 1996 Integra LS
Originally Posted by adizon
This is my friend Sean's Evo, He's at about 400whp (I think) on GST's dyno. He's went through a motor, and a tranny (added a custom 5spd, as the 6spd aren't as strong), revamped all his suspension and brakes . . . but then again he races his car. He has been know to drive it to his work every now and then (You can even see his yellow and white parking sticker for his work, on the bottom corner of the windshield). Some guys drop as much money into their cars and it'll rarely see track time. I too am guilty of my car being more than I really need.

I've been in Sean's car at the track, it's pretty amazing. Plus Sean is a very talented driver.

Evo's are sweet, especially the IX's with the MIVEC. As for reliability, I couldn't tell you. I do know that the LIC Time Attack car has been pretty reliable considering the abuse it's been through on the track. I'm sure Adam and Noah would have some insight on your goals.

Wait... is the the mullerized evo featured on best motoring?!
Old 02-25-2011, 01:08 PM

Car Info: 335i & S1000RR
+1 for a C6 Z06. You're crazy if you think they don't handle better than STi's and EVO's.

Harder to drive at the limit, yes. Slower in the turns, no.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:32 PM

Car Info: 07 STI Built/Widebody/E85/Rotated GTX3576 13 Fozz
Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
Sean's IX is not about as he decided to test it's off road ability at Super Lap in Buttonwillow causing his very nice Voltex splitter and rear diffuser to be shards of carbon scrap, last motor he tanked was well over a year ago and that was due too a faulty component in a rather expensive motor (crank counter weight snapped).

I actually drive it daily albeit only in and out of the shop while Sean awaits a new splitter and diffuser.

Mike
Ahh, that makes more sense then. He mentioned trashing the voltex kit while we were chatting about his motor problems which he was probably talking about the motor thing from the year before.

The way he worded it made it sound like it was recent. Nevermind, carry on!
Old 02-25-2011, 01:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: WRX, EVO, MSP3
Originally Posted by apetron
Ahh, that makes more sense then. He mentioned trashing the voltex kit while we were chatting about his motor problems which he was probably talking about the motor thing from the year before.

The way he worded it made it sound like it was recent. Nevermind, carry on!
Well in fairness it's still recent as he was supposed to have had the motor back about a year ago but instead has been tracking on a stock motor since mid last year.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:29 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by boxerfxt
I saw you drive it (or try to ) on wed. that thing is a cold blooded *****. mike and I just had this talk two days ago and I would get a evo x and have brian tune it on e85 and leave it alone!!!!!

yea right! I love my subaru and cant wait for mike to put my 1200cc injectors in to turn up the boost. dan I would build your sti 320whp is not going to be a issue as far as strain on the car... good luck whatever you decide.... cough... sti...cough

Wait, you saw me drive my car?
Old 02-25-2011, 02:31 PM

Car Info: 2000 impreza 2.5RS
Keep sti
Old 02-25-2011, 02:33 PM

Car Info: 2005 forester
Originally Posted by brucelee
Wait, you saw me drive my car?
naaaa saw mike trying to drive the evo.... sorry
Old 02-25-2011, 03:01 PM

Car Info: 2015 Ford F-150 XLT FX4 Sports Package,SOLD-05 STi
You sir are a confused individual.
Just keep the STi and build the motor. Dont get me wrong I like EVO's too. I have a friend that has an EVO and he misses his Subaru. Says the EVO has a harsh ride, no cruise control and the interior is bland. He's been thinking of selling it for awhile but hasnt puled the trigger on doing it.
If you want around 320whp just go the E85 route. Thats what I did and couldnt be happier. I was able to put down 326whp 400wtq. Could of have pushed it more but kept if on the safer side.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:07 PM

Car Info: 2008 Forester XT 5spd
Originally Posted by ouji
Wait... is the the mullerized evo featured on best motoring?!
Nope, different car!
Old 02-25-2011, 08:06 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Get the EVO and join the Darkside.

Quick Reply: Rebuild my motor via Cosworth or sell and get EVO?