Rebuild my motor via Cosworth or sell and get EVO?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 08:29 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Like some people said, 320whp is not hard to achieve even on pump gas with the right turbo. Reliability, especially in your 07, will be mostly a luck of the draw. If you got lucky and got a good set of pistons from the factory, it will hold up just fine. If not, you'll need to rebuild the motor. At that point reliability is all up to the builder and the components you choose.

One thing to note, EVO's have their own set of issues. They're not the holy grail that many Subaru guys think they are. Be prepared to deal with transmission and clutch issues that you never even thought of in the Subaru. Then there's the interior, and some interesting electrical in the X's. The motors are definitely stronger from the factory but they're not bullet proof either.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 02-25-2011, 08:30 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
And some places are getting more...with less.
Lol... WTF?
Old 02-25-2011, 08:50 AM

Car Info: Un Carrito Que Hace Vrooom Phsss!
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
Lol... WTF?
fight....fight.....fight.....fight....fight!!! lol guys!! I think I read a "who can put more hp contest..?" lol
Old 02-25-2011, 08:53 AM

Car Info: Un Carrito Que Hace Vrooom Phsss!
id say this...I got rid of my first STi..got a 350z..hated it....and went through many other cars bought always missed my subaru. Especially when your on the highway and hear that unique rumble cruise right by you....it nice to experiment on other cars though. Id keep the STi and (DD it)...and built your EVO...??make it your summer/track/weekend car?
Old 02-25-2011, 08:53 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!
honestly i think youd have heaps more fun with a rwd car... a corvette would be awesome, but so would a nice m threezy.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:00 AM

Car Info: Fast
The grass is always greener....

I have seen more than one evo pitch a rod. When they blow, they take out EVERYTHING. Transfer cases blow, so plan on a shep box. That said I doubt you will approach that power level anytime soon.

Another vote for the vette. V8 power is great. Motors are easy to work on and upgrade, and the handling is pretty nice. The Evo is nice, but there are a lot of other options out there now.

Last edited by aboothman; 02-25-2011 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:29 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by CaliSuby
fight....fight.....fight.....fight....fight!!! lol guys!! I think I read a "who can put more hp contest..?" lol
No fight and nothing to prove here

Let's keep this on topic for Daniel.

-- Ed
Old 02-25-2011, 09:30 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Originally Posted by Krinkov
/\ This.

Hell, C6 vettes are into the low 20s now, you could walk right into one of those for what you sell your STI for and prolly have a couple grand left over. Hell thers a clean Z06 for $34K you can prolly get into pretty close to what you can sell the STi for

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...s-for-sale-98/
There are TWO low mile Z06s for sale in Santa Clara at a local independent dealer right now... Both under 40K.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:37 AM

Car Info: 2008 Forester XT 5spd
This is my friend Sean's Evo, He's at about 400whp (I think) on GST's dyno. He's went through a motor, and a tranny (added a custom 5spd, as the 6spd aren't as strong), revamped all his suspension and brakes . . . but then again he races his car. He has been know to drive it to his work every now and then (You can even see his yellow and white parking sticker for his work, on the bottom corner of the windshield). Some guys drop as much money into their cars and it'll rarely see track time. I too am guilty of my car being more than I really need.

I've been in Sean's car at the track, it's pretty amazing. Plus Sean is a very talented driver.

Evo's are sweet, especially the IX's with the MIVEC. As for reliability, I couldn't tell you. I do know that the LIC Time Attack car has been pretty reliable considering the abuse it's been through on the track. I'm sure Adam and Noah would have some insight on your goals.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:38 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
Daniel just rebuild the motor with top notch stuff. Keep it maintained and it'll last for a very very long time with whatever you throw at it. Each car has its breaking point no matter what type of car you buy. In the end, its how you care for it and how's built.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:48 AM

Car Info: 07 STI Built/Widebody/E85/Rotated GTX3576 13 Fozz
Originally Posted by adizon
This is my friend Sean's Evo, He's at about 400whp (I think) on GST's dyno. He's went through a motor, and a tranny (added a custom 5spd, as the 6spd aren't as strong), revamped all his suspension and brakes . . . but then again he races his car. He has been know to drive it to his work every now and then (You can even see his yellow and white parking sticker for his work, on the bottom corner of the windshield). Some guys drop as much money into their cars and it'll rarely see track time. I too am guilty of my car being more than I really need.

I've been in Sean's car at the track, it's pretty amazing. Plus Sean is a very talented driver.

Evo's are sweet, especially the IX's with the MIVEC. As for reliability, I couldn't tell you. I do know that the LIC Time Attack car has been pretty reliable considering the abuse it's been through on the track. I'm sure Adam and Noah would have some insight on your goals.
Smack still drives it to work occasionally, but last time I talked to him (few weeks ago) it was down because of a blown motor. I had asked him why I haven't seen the 9 in the garage recently.

He has a badass Evo X that he drives daily that already has a new turbo and a bunch of other goodies on it now too.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:52 AM

Car Info: 2008 Forester XT 5spd
Originally Posted by apetron

He has a badass Evo X that he drives daily that already has a new turbo and a bunch of other goodies on it now too.
Not Surprised! lol. Sean always had nice set-ups, even back in the day when he used to track his Audi TT.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:00 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by 04GG
There are TWO low mile Z06s for sale in Santa Clara at a local independent dealer right now... Both under 40K.
Been trying really hard to not reply to this thread but can't let this one by - I seriously strongly suggest against getting a C5 or C6 Corvette. Get loads of time with Skip Barber or something and learn to enjoy the STi, or get an EVO if that's what you want (seems like you have wanted one for a long time).
Old 02-25-2011, 10:18 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Been trying really hard to not reply to this thread but can't let this one by - I seriously strongly suggest against getting a C5 or C6 Corvette. Get loads of time with Skip Barber or something and learn to enjoy the STi, or get an EVO if that's what you want (seems like you have wanted one for a long time).
I love RWD cars (it is a very different feel than AWD IMO), but no doubt driver education is invaluable regardless of what car you are driving I told this bit in another thread, but it is appropriate here as well. One of my former bosses who auto-x'ed his 944 turbo took a Skip Barber class and said it was easily the best car related money he ever spent.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:22 AM

Car Info: 05 18g LGT Wagon | Former 08 LGT Spec.B
you don't need a built motor for 320whp.
FP HTA68- $900
Walbro fuel pump- $75
dw 1000cc injectors- $550
TMIC or FMIC- $700
clutch- $600

That should reach your 320whp goal on pump gas. Then if you get bored of that, get tuned for e85 and it should keep you happy for a while.

STI- strong tranny, weaker motor/turbo
Evo- Strong motor/turbo, weaker tranny

I don't know which one happens more often, evo blown trannys or subie blown ringland/head gaskets

Last edited by LGT Mark; 02-25-2011 at 10:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Rebuild my motor via Cosworth or sell and get EVO?