Rebuild my motor via Cosworth or sell and get EVO?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 07:36 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Rebuild my motor via Cosworth or sell and get EVO?

I'm growing a bit tired of my STi... I guess I just got used to the power and now it feels like Im driving a yugo. I need to go faster but will only do it safely. I love how my car handles, I wouldn't change any of that but would like to rebuild my motor by getting new pistons, and all supporting hardware enough to have a UBER reliable STi with around 320whp, it's not much to ask but thats my goal. Right now Im at around 240whp. Anyone know what kind of price I'm looking at for a pretty basic upgrade in terms of the hardware.

Option 2: Sell my STi (07, 39k miles and minor mods) and buy an EVO,. I know I can achieve a lot more power with far more reliability than the STi could ever hope for. I could sell my STi for more than I can buy an EVO for, so if I can find an low milage EVO 9 or possibly a new gen 10+ I'd sell it and do some bolt ons and have a reliable car with over 300WHP and that handles better than the subaru.

I know you're subaru folks, but what would you do?

This is all about performance, no aesthetics involved (I think my GD looks better, but I don't care about what looks better.)
Old 02-24-2011, 07:38 PM
more than meets the eye

Car Info: ?
Evo!

do et
Old 02-24-2011, 07:39 PM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
Buy that EVO you've always wanted and kick rocks. /thread
Old 02-24-2011, 07:42 PM

Car Info: 07 STI Built/Widebody/E85/Rotated GTX3576 13 Fozz
Do you want to make 320whp on 91 or on E85? Very different builds to get to that number based on those fuels.

Doing it on 91 is going to take more work and more parts. Talk to your favorite shop and see what they say. Cosworth parts are crazy expensive btw.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:43 PM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
Originally Posted by apetron
Do you want to make 320whp on 91 or on E85? Very different builds to get to that number based on those fuels.

Doing it on 91 is going to take more work and more parts. Talk to your favorite shop and see what they say. Cosworth parts are crazy expensive btw.
But his Subaru is boring and handles like doo doo...
Old 02-24-2011, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by 03_Impreza_Al
But his Subaru is boring and handles like doo doo...
No, it's fast and it handles better than my old RS did with major suspension mods. I love DCCD and LOVE the way my car handles... It's just not reliable with higher HP numbers which is why I ask about the rebuild (Pistons + E85 + I/C + Bigger turbo, and all hardware to go with it. I figure Im looking at around $5k for the build. It doesn't have to be cosworth, just high end pistons and supporting hardware.

Def going E-85.

I'd still be a member here, I'd just drive an EVO, I mean if I did sell the STi and get an EVO (Which I;d smoke you all in! lol jk)
Old 02-24-2011, 07:55 PM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
sell your car

if you want an evo you have no Subaru love left
Old 02-24-2011, 07:58 PM

Car Info: $2000 hawkeye
get Zastava, Tristac or Peglica
Old 02-24-2011, 07:59 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
keep the subie and buy and evo when it comes time bring the evo out but otherwise drive the subie
Old 02-24-2011, 08:08 PM

Car Info: '06 Wagon
Get the evo, you only live once. You always get another subaru.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:10 PM

Car Info: 07 STI Built/Widebody/E85/Rotated GTX3576 13 Fozz
Originally Posted by brucelee
No, it's fast and it handles better than my old RS did with major suspension mods. I love DCCD and LOVE the way my car handles... It's just not reliable with higher HP numbers which is why I ask about the rebuild (Pistons + E85 + I/C + Bigger turbo, and all hardware to go with it. I figure Im looking at around $5k for the build. It doesn't have to be cosworth, just high end pistons and supporting hardware.

Def going E-85.

I'd still be a member here, I'd just drive an EVO, I mean if I did sell the STi and get an EVO (Which I;d smoke you all in! lol jk)
If you are going for what you say above, depending on the components, you are looking at more then $5K.

Depending on what you want here are some ballparks to think about. This isn't a complete list and its already at $4330 with no labor or any machine shop work of any kind.

Turbo ~$1500
Intercooler ~$750
Pistons ~$600
Rods ~$550
Rod Bearings ~ $80
Injectors ~$450
Fuel Pump ~$100
Turbo Inlet ~$300
Old 02-24-2011, 08:24 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Dude... you're silly. Seriously.

That is a huge leap. If you want an evo then sell it and get one. If you want more power... get more power.

Get a decent turbo and supporting mods and you'll hit those numbers EASY. Or go E85 and you'll hit them on your VF39.... or get close.

I saw an sti with limited mods and a 20g xt on mike's dyno putting down more than what you're wanting and there was more there with a ported waste gate.

I'd go that route. Then start a saving account and start putting money in it. When you motor goes THEN build it. Makes no sense to me to rebuild a functioning motor... and that's coming from a guy that did 115mph in his 53 cadillac and pulled the motor out for a rebuild the next day.... don't do it.

Those motors are give and take. You might have gotten a good one. Might not.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:38 PM
2006 Mt Hammy Car Show Winner

Car Info: Black 03 WRX, White 04 E46 M3
Get an Evo! You will achieve your goal easily while still having a car that handles great.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by dan avoN7
Get an Evo! You will achieve your goal easily while still having a car that handles great.
I appreciate the advice Dan. I know you've been there so I know you know about the reliability issues with out weak *** EJ's. Stock + minor mods is fine, but when you want power like you had in your old car, thats when you start suffering from reliability. The Subaru will never handle as well as the EVO, simple as that nor will the Subaru ever achieve the amount of power that the EVO is capable of.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:56 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
320 wheel isn't all that hard for an STi. You don't need to build up a motor for that much power. However, if you've already gotten bored of your STi, you're going to get bored of 320 wheel soon as well. If you have the mentality where it's never going to be enough, get the Evo because the cap is so much higher.

Quick Reply: Rebuild my motor via Cosworth or sell and get EVO?