really OT, i have a question about the corolla GTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 03:52 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!
really OT, i have a question about the corolla GTS

haha yeah, um..i have some questions, and i hope some of you can answer them

is it possible to make an sr-5 into a corolla GTS? anybody know the main differences?

What motors will, or have been known to fit into a GTS? ive heard of people putting in 1st gen supercharged mr2 motots, and even 3SGE engines, any other motors?

TIA
Old 06-13-2003, 03:57 PM

Car Info: 00 impreza rs
i'm not sure. You should check out club4ag.com it has all that good stuff.
Old 06-13-2003, 04:59 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
It woud probably bring better results to swap the Celica motor into a Celica GTS chasis from '80-84. I had an '84 Celica, and the chassis was great, even for a POS car, but the truck motor in it sucked ***. No high end- in a Toyota coupe! Lame. Anyways, I have long wondered if the twin cam GTS head would have fit the 2.4 liter block in my Celica... that would have been pretty sweet...
Old 06-13-2003, 05:17 PM
2006 Mt Hammy Car Show Winner

Car Info: Black 03 WRX, White 04 E46 M3
for what it costs it's not worth making a sr5 a gts. You will need a whole new rear end, basically all the wiring and ecu, different engine. And for interior the seats and i think the gauge cluster is different. The sr5 really sucks and has no power at all, and you can find a gts for really cheap. Also the 3sge will fit in the corrolla body, i am almost 100% sure because my friend was gona get my other friends engine from his 88 all trac.

theres specific details on club4ag under reference. Goto the bottum then clikc sr5 to gts. It tells u everything.
Old 06-13-2003, 10:25 PM
NASIOC Slut

Car Info: 1995 Subaru Impreza 1.8 L
You can turbo the sr5 like that Levin in the 2nd season
Old 06-14-2003, 08:57 AM

Car Info: 14 Mazda3 sGT, SOLD 12/26: 00 2.5RS Sedan
In the manga, Itsuki eventually turbos his Levin. This was during the Toudou (whatever) racing school saga with the pro circuit drivers with the Hondas.
Old 06-14-2003, 09:07 AM

Yes, it is possible to convert an SR-5 to a GTS. It really depends on how much you want to spend. Of hand, I would say that you are better off buying a GT-s to begin with. But, if the SR-5 is really fresh and clean then maybe...

There are a ton of engines that can work on an ae-86. You can stay with the stock 4a-ge with the old TVIS (kinda wimpy) and do some minor tweaks such as playing around with the air flow meter or swap the head for a 140 horse version from an later model AE-92 (front drive) GTS Heck you can even go with the new 20 valve 4AG (with a little conversion on the coolant hoses) I have even seen an SR20DET installed in an 86!!!

In my opinion, I would shy away from the heavier 3Sg or 3TGTE cause they are heavier and upsets the balance of the car.

I once had an 86 with the 140 horse 4AG running on carbs ( twin weber 45 DCOE side drafts) 288-264 TRD cams, high comp pistons and was really a blast to drive.

If you are having the itch to for an AE-86, contact Tito at Redstar, he has done a few of these monsters and is a Toyota guru well before I graduated grade school and I'm 32 years old

Last edited by rota wheels wrx; 06-14-2003 at 09:10 AM.
Old 06-14-2003, 10:21 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Evolution VIII
Dave,

OMG! So that was you w/ that blue AE86!!! I used to see you driving it on Bay Bridge back in the days but I didn't know you then.. hahaha Your Hachi was hella clean! dayam!

Cal
Old 06-14-2003, 01:17 PM
VIP Member

hey thanks for the information everyone (specially dave and rotawheels )

well if all goes as planned this summer, hopefully i can get a job, and get the cash flow going, and get a hachi. But yeah, i already have one turbo car, and i really dont want another lol
i like the NA feeling, the linear powerband. Ive also seen a SR20DET put into a hachi, lol ive seen a vid of it at sac raceway killing an NSX!! haha
but yeah, if i am able to buy a GTS, i dont think i want to turbo it. Ive looked at prices for the 3SGE engines with the new 6 spd and i was like "WHOA!" lol
how rare, and expensive are the 20 valves?
ive also talked to some people about the supercharges mr2 motors, but those are only 1.6 liters IIRC, and they are pretty old engines
ive also talked to some people running diffrerent heads, to get more power, and that def. sounds like the best option in terms of power vs. money

but yeah..thanks for the info guys, i appreciate it

"beat takeshi" on club4ag
Old 06-14-2003, 02:41 PM
VIP Member

haha thanks for the input
yeah, if i decided to put in an sr20, or a turbo mr2 motor, id be worried cause it would be a front heavy car
but yeah, lol i appreciate teh specific information
ill wait til i get more and more money saved, then hopefully i can find one and buy it

Quick Reply: really OT, i have a question about the corolla GTS