RE92's and Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 10:37 AM

RE92's and Tahoe

Hey guys, would you guys consider going to tahoe on re92's unsafe? I know we've got to have chains, but my impression is that because we've got AWD, we don't need to put them on typically...just carry them.

Also, would the re92's be considered a liability around the bay when it gets wet? Would you guys change them? (mine only ahve 7k miles on them).

TIA
Old 10-03-2005, 10:41 AM

Car Info: WREX
They are supposed to provide traction on wet and lightly snow-covered roads
Old 10-03-2005, 10:42 AM
This Guy Can Hella Draw!

Car Info: '14 MBP FXT | '03 WW Evo VIII
With 7K on them, you'll be fine. They are not unsafe. If conditions are get really bad, most likely the roads will be closed. Just drive within your limits.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:48 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
I lived in Tahoe for a winter with RE92's and they were fine.

Just don't expect great traction, and you should be okay. What I think is more important then the tires, is knowledge of how to drive in snow. I grew up in a snowy climate, and have done my fair share of spinning out on ice and snow (luckily, only once on a public road, and I ended up safely back in my lane without hitting anything or anyone).
Old 10-03-2005, 10:53 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRB Wagon (Cobb AccessPort, P7's), 2-73 914 2.0, 74 914-2.0
I've driven them to So. Lake Tahoe and the Lake Arrowhead areas in the snow and they work okay. There are some better mud and snow tires out there but they seem to work fine. I tend to drive pretty conservatively in the snow and wouldn't try to set any speed records.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:07 PM

I've used them for many ski trips over the last few years in snow up to 4-5" deep with no issues. As others have said just make sure you drive cautiously and remember your stopping distance is greatly increased in snow.

- Matt
Old 10-03-2005, 12:09 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX + 08 335i + 07 Tahoe Lt3
man speaking of winter I really can't wait till the ski resorts open up
Old 10-03-2005, 12:15 PM

I hear ya, I was camping on the Rubicon trail at Tahoe this weekend and can't wait for it to start snowing.

- Matt
Old 10-03-2005, 12:41 PM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
cant wait for the snow either...I can finally put my pzero nero M&S to the test
Old 10-03-2005, 01:06 PM

Cool, thanks for the replies guys...winter's just around the corner...and glad to know i don't need to replace those tires.

Thanks again.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:52 PM

Car Info: '09 accord, '14 2 seater chevy
Also note, just carry chains. I made 7 trips to tahoe last year and it was snowing every time. Not once was I asked to put my chains on. Most the time they recognized my car from a distance and just waved me through. I had one funny one. The guy stopped me and was angry with me "why didn't you stop back there and put chains on, chains are mandatory, can't you read" I smuggly replied "for all wheel drive even?" He took a few steps back and was trying to look under the car and a guy across the road yells "it's a subaru, let him go" I smiled and left

The RE92s actually respond better in snow than my P-Zero M+S do. They wedge better which helps with stopping, and seem to have a better bite on turn in. Just remeber to keep the speed to where you can handle the car(not where you think you can handle it, where you KNOW you can handle it) and braking distance is key. I see tons of accidents every time I go up there and it's almost always some nitwit in an SUV thinking they know how to drive in the snow.

Another tip is to actuall get used to how your car handles. Find a nice parking lot(umm make sure it doesn't have those litle concrete divider things, which most don't up there because they wouldn't be able to plot it) and have a ball. Do some standing on the brakes, some low speed evasive maneuvers, find the wonder of the throttle and AWD to get yourself out of a hair spin. I spent 2 hours playing in a parking lot to get used to the car, then just took it easy and everything was cool.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:59 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
I never lost traction with them on the highway last year. Some of the backroads that weren't plowed were like a rally course though haha. And my favorite part of last snowboard season? Watching a Toyota pickup (raised) get stuck in the snow right in front of me, and I just went right around him without even slipping hahaha.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Originally Posted by MVWRX
I never lost traction with them on the highway last year. Some of the backroads that weren't plowed were like a rally course though haha. And my favorite part of last snowboard season? Watching a Toyota pickup (raised) get stuck in the snow right in front of me, and I just went right around him without even slipping hahaha.
You wouldn't believe (or maybe you would) how many SUVs and Trucks you will see on the sides of the road stuck in a snow bank because some idiot paid a lot of money for AWD, and figured driving in the snow on AWD is just like driving on dry pavement. They probably started getting slightly out of control and slammed on the brakes, possibly waiting for the AWD to kick in and miraciously save their asses. Too bad AWD doesn't exactly do a damn thing under braking
Old 10-03-2005, 02:11 PM

Illusion, i was planning on finding a nice snowy parking lot to see what i'm capable of in the car....but do you guys have any advise besides don't break while loosing traction? Maybe some book to read?
Old 10-03-2005, 02:46 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
...turn the wheel in the direction that you're sliding (if the rear end is going right, turn the wheel right)...that principle has saved my *** a few times on the backroads by tahoe city. I don't know of any books, but if you find any post up the info here because that's a good idea.

Quick Reply: RE92's and Tahoe