RANT: I think I'm done seeing movies in the theatre.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 03:46 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
First matinee showings for me, only. Eerie silence in an almost empty theater. Before the previews and public service messages begin, people are either sitting in absolute silence or trying hard to whisper below the 'white noise' threshhold. Sometimes I refrain from eating my popcorn because I swear that everyone in the theater can hear my chewing!

I watch and own a fair amount of DVDs at home. I like the convenience of starting and stopping the movie when I like, some of the special features on the disks, the economics of owning a copy of the movie but only paying once, etc.

But, overall it isn't as good for my viewing experience as a walk-in theater properly equipped with the latest sound and acoustics. There's something about looking at a high-resolution image with the lights out. Movies are shot like this because they are meant to be shown larger than life. Same reason why they shouldn't 'colorize' old b&w movies. Same reason you don't cut minutes out of a movie shown on TV for 'language and content'. Same reason why a movie isn't re-edited (butchered) for pan and scan showings on standard TV.

As a kid, I was lucky enough to see "2001: A Space Odyssey" at a theater. It's never the same when I see it now.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 06-01-2004, 04:33 PM

i completely agree. i was just talking about this with my friends not too long ago. the prices are just crazy now a day. i remember back then when 10 bucks covered my ticket, drink, and popcorn. now 10 bucks is my ticket. its crazy.

and two days ago just made my decision to not to go theaters even easier. i went to watch the day after tomorrow, and i had the strange feeling that something was going to happen to my car. the next day i see that i got keyed across my hood. LOVELY!!!!!!!
Old 06-01-2004, 04:54 PM

Car Info: AW '03 wagon
gawd, i thought i was the only one who felt that way about theaters. at mercado, i've witnessed fights during the movie b/c people can't keep the 'no dont go in there girllllfriend' to themselves (watching halloween 3), rather yelling it outloud as to be funny. also, i've never finished a movie without someones phone/pager going off. I usually bet the person i go with to watch the movie that some annoying ring will go off, and i always win.
i can go off with more rants, but that's the price you pay when putting a bunch of people in a room, and unfortunately it's a high price these days. There's bound to be at least ONE jack@ss who will ruin it for you.

hank
Old 06-01-2004, 05:12 PM

Car Info: 2004 USDM STI
netflix
Old 06-01-2004, 06:30 PM

Car Info: 02 STi
Originally Posted by Aithien
If you go AMC Mercado in Santa Clara down here in the Bay Area, you can bring your own food and drinks into the theater.

Ticket prices are $9 for adults, but bring ANY student ID you can find and you can get it for $8. As for the chaos, it's not as bad with this theater. I usually tend to watch my movies around 10-12am period as the number of teeny-boppers who have to call mom to get a ride home are much lower in numbers.
just dont take your suby...the lil punks there like to put dings in it. I hate Mercado for that reason. Buncha wanna-be thugs over there too...

-freddie
Old 06-01-2004, 06:37 PM
NASIOC Slut

Car Info: 1995 Subaru Impreza 1.8 L
I have not had these issues. I only go to matinees, bring my own drinks if I need them (which I dont usually bring anything anyway) and sit in the spots away from other people to the best of my ability.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:43 PM

Car Info: 2017 WRB WRX Premium
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
never seen a gang fight at the santa cruz ones...that's your problem man...going to the drive ins in the ghetto. haaaa.

F hollywood? You do realize that you are funding hollywood more by purchasing dvd's than going to the movies don't you? (based on one time cost only)
LOL!!! I only have like 10 DVD's to my name. I never buy the DVD's, I just rent them. And Hollywood hasn't come out with a good movie or a good story plot in a movie in a VERY LONG TIME!!!! Hollywood needs to steal old ideas to stay afloat. Stupid a$$ movies like Starsky and Hutch, Charlies Angels, Gone in 60 Seconds....
No one has good ideas anymore, so they steal from old ideas. HOLLYWOOD SUCKS. F HOLLYWOOD!!!!

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)
Old 06-01-2004, 06:51 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 yellow wrx
ok, so id didnt read the whole thread, but just for everyones info, the theaters in the bay aredoing this "slowly raise the tickets to 10 bucks" movement. that means that if you go out on a date with the gf, you spend 20 bucks flat just to get in... i think you could buy a new dvd for like 16, that is what makes me feel like an idiot. i pay more to watch a movie once, while being disrupted by retards the whole time than i would pay to buy the movie on great quality dvd and watch it in the comfort of my home with as many times as i want.

btw, i think i am going to the movies tonight, just because the gf loves to do stuff like that!
Old 06-01-2004, 06:51 PM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
I love movies, I love theaters, I just hate the other patrons.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:48 PM

Car Info: '01 Forester S
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mrs. Solo
It's all about netflix! I don't mind waiting a few months for things to come out on DVD, besides, I've got tooons of catching up to do on movies I missed last year for **** sake!
Here,here ! Netflix is the way to go. I don't mind waiting either. Plus the privacy of watching the movie.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:08 PM
Rat

Car Info: always changing...
I hear you. Went and got a big T.V., rarely go to the movies anymore...
Old 06-01-2004, 11:27 PM
more than meets the eye

Car Info: ?
netflix rocks. my "collection" is growing day by day... lol
Old 06-02-2004, 02:21 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
I bought THE CORRUPTOR today. Great film
Old 06-02-2004, 08:48 AM

Car Info: 2016 Red WRX
Try going to a dollar theater in socal. You'll TRULY learn the meaning of ghetto. after going to a dollar theater, all typical theaters will seem like the best place son earth. last time i went to a dollar theater, someone got shot. so quit yer crying about someone talking during the movie! haha.

Quick Reply: RANT: I think I'm done seeing movies in the theatre.