<rant> AOL steals money from its Customers!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 02:15 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 PSM STi
Angry <rant> AOL steals money from its Customers!

GRRRRRRRRR....

So, I had an AOL account for several years, then about 2 years ago, .....and decided that it was just too damn expensive and I never used it anyways, cuz AOL blows monkey nutz anyways. So I decided to cancel my subscription, and all was well. So I went about my business for the past 2 years, happy that I am now AOL free. Since then I have moved about 3 times, and formatted my hard drives on my computer. So I dont even have AOL software installed anymore.

Then Today, I am looking at my bank statement, and I see a charge that says "*TWX-AOLforBROADBAND," and I am like WTF!!! So I called them to figure out whats going on. Well, Turns out the bastards NEVER put my cancellation request in, and my account was never cancelled. So, for the past 2 years, AOL has been charging me 14.95/month for a service that was supposed to be cancelled long ago! I am soooo friggin' pissed, that's like $358.80 that AOL has basically stolen from me without my knowledge!

Now, I had to send a fax with a letter explaining whats going on, and what actions I want taken to AOL's corporate office in Jacksonville, FL and HOPE they decide to give me my money back. But knowing AOL, they will do the same thing that they did before....and "forget" to process my request, and keep my money. I am so friggin livid right now!!!! GRRRRRRRR I hope AOL gets hit by a Thermonuclear warhead! AOL is a friggin' SCAM! they will let you sign up, and take your money, but they wont let you cancel (although you THINK they cancel your account) and continue to take money from you!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Sorry guys, I just had to get that off my chest, I am so pissed! F*CK AOL!

</rant>

-Ted
Old 07-14-2005, 02:20 PM

Car Info: Sline
This has happened to my family as well, but not for 2 years.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:24 PM

Car Info: '98 Legacy GT - EJ20 swap, STI RA tranny, VF22+
That sucks, Ted!!!
Old 07-14-2005, 03:13 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX/05 Legacy
You check your bank statement once every 2 years?
Old 07-14-2005, 03:50 PM

Car Info: 04 Forester XT/96 Brighton Project
when i had a trial *god i dont know wtf i was thinking when i signed up for even a trial* the smarterself of me kicked in and i immediately cancelled AOL like 2days later and i told them in a stern voice that i want a written confirmation that it was cancelled and a week later i got a letter stating it was fully cancelled
Old 07-14-2005, 04:04 PM

Car Info: Twin WRX Turbo VR-4
Originally Posted by bemani
You check your bank statement once every 2 years?

I think they billed him anually(meaning, they chagred him monthly but got one big bill at the end of the year)

..you said 2 years later, so maybe bi-anually?

Last edited by slagehammer; 07-14-2005 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:22 PM
VIP Member

no, they charged me monthly....but for some reason I never saw any of the charges on any of my statements.....and I DO look at my statements every month when I get them in the mail....not to mention that I have online access to my accounts too, so I can see stuff that I charged this morning. I guess I must have overlooked the charges, because the entry in my statement looks like this:

"CHECK CRD PURCHASE 05/12 TWX*AOLforBROADBAND 05 888-889-7201 VA XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 133540002971546 ?MCC=4816 121042882DA"

and at a glance, I guess all I was noticing was the CHECK CRD PURCHASE, and figured it was something I bought....because thats what it says when I pay with my ATM card, so there are multiple entries that all say almost the exact same thing, I hardly ever carry cash, and pay with my ATM alot, so imagine 10 entries that all look almost identical, its easy to overlook. I kinda feel dumb for not noticing it....but at the same time, my account SHOULD have been cancelled when I cancelled it 2 years ago, so I wasn't expecting to see anymore AOL charges on there, I just assumed AOL did what they said they would do.

-Ted
Old 07-14-2005, 06:29 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Black 2003 WRX Sedan
that company can burn down and go to hell. when i cancelled my memebership kept forgetting to process the request. they finally processed it and i thought it was over. 2 months later i tried to sign on to see if i was really disconnected but i was able to get on. i called them up and they informed me that since i signed on i would be charged for the last 2 months at the normal rate, not the special rate that i had for the last 5 years. i went to hell and back to get the charges taken off my account. also, to this day they have not refunded my money for the DSL modem that i returned to them. bastartds still owe me $100.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:38 PM

Car Info: 2007 silver STI
thats what you get for signing up for AOL in the first place! j/k

seriously though that sucks. i have heard tons of stories like that too. either that or stories of it taking 2 hours to cancel a subscription cuz the aol phone people keep trying to get you to stay on by offering free months and what not.

then again i have also heard of a few people getting free internet from them for years because every time they called to cancel they were given more free months.. so i guess you were paying for their free months..
Old 07-14-2005, 06:42 PM
Hurray, it's Ian!!

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX Sedan
go google it. my friend has been trying to cancel his account for well over a year and a half.

google it.you will find MILLIONS of complaints against aol. some people got their banks and credit card companies to deny charges, but then aol would threaten their credit reports. they are a horrible company...in regards to their business ethics.

i'm so glad i got out of it before they became like this
Old 07-14-2005, 07:02 PM

There is even an FTC investigation into AOL's business practices due to the number of complaints.

Good luck. I've heard that you will need about 1 hour of phone time minimum to get through the cancellation process.

Furthermore, don't click on any AOL icons etc. on your PC because they will then automatically re-enable your account and billing.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:49 PM
VIP Member

Actually, at the time of my original post I had already gone through the cancellation process.... I'm supposed to get a confirmation letter in the snail mail in a few days, they also verbally gave me my cancellation number over the phone. I actually had to do it twice, because the first woman hung up on me, and I was being absolutely civil......then I was pissed off bad....so I called back and this guy answered, and I practically reached through the phone and strangled him, but he was cool, and everything was over in about 15 minutes. Maybe I got lucky.....I dunno, dont really care either, as long as my sh*t gets cancelled.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:09 PM

Car Info: 06 Evolution IX MR Graphite Gray
My AOL story...

So I had an account about... oh... 10 year ago or so. Long story short the account ended up getting suspended (11 TOS violations in less than a week - the final straw was telling an 'AOL Guide' to f**k off in a private chat). When I called about it, they said the account was suspended 'indefinitely'. Which translated into about 6 months. After which they resumed billing me. Similar situation to Ted - just didn't notice the charge on my card (my statements are about 5 pages long, so it's easy to get lost in the shuffle). Anyways, when I contacted AOL, I told them to look at the last login date (which was sometime around April of 1995 or 1996). It's pretty obvious I hadn't been using the service, and no one ever informed me that the account had been reinstated. So the CSR, while finding it amusing that I got suspended in the first place, credited back 3.5 years of service charges to my card.

I suspect you'll have a tougher time doing this now than I did several years ago though.

-T
Old 07-15-2005, 05:41 PM
Hurray, it's Ian!!

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX Sedan
hmm i've been suspended numerous times, and i've had 3 different accounts terminated with 3 different credit cards from my dad. hehe i've had a lot of violations from telling off the aol "guides" and spamming, etc...

i miss those days...when the underground aol scene was run by kids 10-16, and we pirated everything from music to ****. lol!!
Old 07-15-2005, 05:51 PM
VIP Member

ahhhhh yes.....I used to have a program called "AOHell", it was the coolest thing ever....if someone pissed me off in a chat room....I could boot them offline (and in the days of dialup and busy signals that was a bad thing)! LOL those were the days.

-Ted

Quick Reply: <rant> AOL steals money from its Customers!