Question: Will the plane fly? (warning: nerdy)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 03:43 PM

Car Info: _
The plane won't fly
Old 01-24-2006, 03:43 PM

Car Info: _
The plane will fly
Old 01-24-2006, 03:48 PM

Car Info: Black Car
I think I get it now. It's like if a person is running on a treadmill and u suddenly turn it off, he will still fly forward and hit the wall in front of him. It would be the same as a plane going up to speed but instead of the treadmill turning off, it will kind of just lift off and jet forward. Is my thinking correct?
Old 01-24-2006, 03:53 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
huh? I thought it's clear that it doesn't matter what speed the wheels are spinning. It only matters if the airplane reaches the neccessary speed (relative to air) for it to take off.

Basically the question needs to be answered to determine if the airplane would fly or not is. Can the jet/prop generate enough air speed (plane relative to air)? If the answer if yes, sure, it'll fly. If not, no, it'll move (in relation to air), but not take-off.

Originally Posted by MVWRX
No offense to you or anyone else making this claim, but why the hell wouldn't it? The only reason it wouldn't be able to is if the wheels had a top speed of less than 2X the take off speed (and therfore actually slowed the plane down). And since this is a hypothetical question, I beleive that it is assumed that the wheels won't fall apart or hinder the plane in any way.

In other words; what will a moving runway do to affect the props/jets of a plane at all? Nothing.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:56 PM

Car Info: WR Blue Wagon
Originally Posted by y0gfx
I think I get it now. It's like if a person is running on a treadmill and u suddenly turn it off, he will still fly forward and hit the wall in front of him. It would be the same as a plane going up to speed but instead of the treadmill turning off, it will kind of just lift off and jet forward. Is my thinking correct?
No.. actually, it would be more like you were on the treadmill wearing roller skates. You put your arms out and have a friend on each side hold onto your hands. Then turn on the treadmill and have them pull you forward as hard as they can sending you off the end of the treadmill and through your 10th floor window.

Will you fly?
Old 01-24-2006, 03:57 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Originally Posted by iBlueVirus
It only matters if the airplane reaches the neccessary speed (relative to air) for it to take off.

Basically the question needs to be answered to determine if the airplane would fly or not is. Can the jet/prop generate enough air speed (plane relative to air)? If the answer if yes, sure, it'll fly. If not, no, it'll move (in relation to air), but not take-off.

Again, no offense, but NO SH**! Who the HELL would build a plane with engines that couldn't get it going fast enough (relative to the air) to fly...

Last edited by MVWRX; 01-24-2006 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:59 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Talking

Originally Posted by Racenut
No.. actually, it would be more like you were on the treadmill wearing roller skates. You put your arms out and have a friend on each side hold onto your hands. Then turn on the treadmill and have them pull you forward as hard as they can sending you off the end of the treadmill and through your 10th floor window.

Will you fly?

Hahahaha....

I was thinking a similar analogy. You're on a treadmill with skates on. Then you blast a grande-burrito-from-the-night-before and launch off the front of the treadmill.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:14 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Hahahaha....

I was thinking a similar analogy. You're on a treadmill with skates on. Then you blast a grande-burrito-from-the-night-before and launch off the front of the treadmill.
HAHA

I think this is the best example yet.... maybe more people can relate to this
Old 01-24-2006, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
HAHA

I think this is the best example yet.... maybe more people can relate to this
No they wont.. they'll still be trying to calculate zero airspeed.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:21 PM
Former Vendor

hmmm... I don't design planes so I can't really answer that question. I believe a plane standing still in relation to ground does not generate enough speed (plane relative to air). However, a plane moving forward relative to ground plus the air flow generated by the jet/prop would bring the plane to the necessary speed (relative to air) for the plane to take-off.

Put it this way, if you hold on to a remote control prop plane. Reach max speed on the prop, let it go, it won't fly "STRAIGHT", it will fall! However, assuming you were at infinit height, the remote control plane will fall and move forward until it reaches neccessary air speed, the plane will then fly "STRAIGHT".

Again, no offense, but NO SH**! Who the HELL would build a plane with engines that couldn't get it going fast enough (relative to the air) to fly...
Old 01-24-2006, 04:24 PM

hmmm... I don't design planes so I can't really answer that question. I believe a plane standing still in relation to ground does not generate enough speed (plane relative to air). However, a plane moving forward relative to ground plus the air flow generated by the jet/prop would bring the plane to the necessary speed (relative to air) for the plane to take-off.

Put it this way, if you hold on to a remote control prop plane. Reach max speed on the prop, let it go, it won't fly "STRAIGHT", it will fall! However, assuming you were at infinit height, the remote control plane will fall and move forward until it reaches neccessary air speed, the plane will then fly "STRAIGHT".

OK.. so now you're on rollerskates, on a treadmill. But this time your friends are on ladders. They are going to pick you up and drop you on your head.

Will you fly?
Old 01-24-2006, 04:27 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Originally Posted by stevedood
The plane won't fly

Originally Posted by stevedood
The plane will fly
Oh No! another confused soul.....
Old 01-24-2006, 04:29 PM
Former Vendor

I will fly from the moment they let go of me until my head hits the treadmill, which is moving 100 MPH. I will fly then, once again, fly from the moment I'm propel from the treadmill until my **** hits the wall across the room.

Originally Posted by Racenut
OK.. so now you're on rollerskates, on a treadmill. But this time your friends are on ladders. They are going to pick you up and drop you on your head.

Will you fly?
So YES!! I WILL fly!
Old 01-24-2006, 04:31 PM

So YES!! I WILL fly!

WHEW... I'm glad you figured it out
Old 01-24-2006, 04:38 PM

Car Info: Black Car
Hm... 42.

Quick Reply: Question: Will the plane fly? (warning: nerdy)