Question: Will the plane fly? (warning: nerdy)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 07:27 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by rau
the only things moving in this situation is the conveyor belt, and the fan blades on the turbines, which does move the air ---> BUT! <--- only at the same speed as the conveyor belt, therein keeping the plane stationary. the only way the plane would generate lift is if there is a 1) ginormous *** fan pushing air at the stall speed or faster, or 2) the turbines generate enough force to push the plane faster than the belt, depending on the length of the belt. to the ******* that said yes, slap some more stickers on you car and gain a few more HP, but not too much, the drag might work against the gain...

and +100 on the rolfcopter, that thing can fly anywhere.....
Read a couple posts up.... the plane does move relative to the air around it. The added drag from the wheel bearings turning twice as fast is insignificant when compared to the thrust force of the engines/props.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
yeah, Ed, the plane wont move, the engines to not make te plane fly, they only move the plane forward, which, in turn, creates the airflow over the wings, creating the lift required to take off. if the plane used prop engines rather than jet engines, they might be able to get enough air to move over the wings to create a little bit of lift, but in reality, not nearly enough for the plane to take off
Old 01-23-2006, 09:32 PM

Car Info: silverthorne 2000 2.5rs
This dumb, just think if the plane had no wheels at all, since the belt is pretty much taking the wheels out of the equation. If a plane had no wheels would it take off? No. It would look retarded sitting on the ground making a ****load of noise and not going anywhere.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:39 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Why do stupid people keep trying to argue with the correct answer?
Old 01-23-2006, 09:46 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
It will not fly.

Airplanes rely on the lift created by the moving air against its wings. The jet engines provide the trust to get the airplane to speed and get it moving through the air that creates drag. Plus, with gravity pulling the airplane down, it needs something to keep it moving.

Helicopters archive the same by having their wings (propeller) move through the air and create lift. This example, would be like having a helicopter take off in vacuum. Not gonna happen.

So in that example, the wings become absolete since there will be nothing moving against them. And, the jet engines do not produce enough thrust to push the plane off the ground?So, if you wanna refrase the question, take the wings away from the plane.

I have heard about planes flying with no engine power (engines stall, gliders, etc). However, I have not heard about planes flying with no wings. Rockets do that, but they do not rely on wing lift and merely rely on their engines which produce a lot more power than the airplane jet engines.

I think that makes perfect sense.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:46 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by psoper
Why do stupid people keep trying to argue with the correct answer?
Great question. I'm starting to hit my head on the wall every time I hear that its the same as tying the plane down. I'm done with this, the question has been answered correctly several times with good explanations. Please read the thread and really try to understand the explanation before posting the same response again.

Thanks
Old 01-23-2006, 09:49 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
Thank you!
After clearing up the the left out details as Pete pointed out, we can see that all the plane needs to take off is the ability to accelerate to propper take-off speed. And as Pete mentions here, the wheels don't have a significant effect on the plane's acceleration. It doesn't matter how fast the treadmill spins because the plane will still move relative to the air around it and accelerate just fine. The treadmill will just be spinning the wheels faster, but since the plane doesn't use the wheels to accelerate, it really doesnt matter (of course this is ignoring any frictional losses that put a force on the plane in the other direction, but these are negligable when compared to the thrust force of the plane's engines that are exerter on the relatively stationary AIR around it).

Wrong.. if the plane is effectively stationary (is this a prop or a jet pane?), the plane wont have any effective airflow over the wings (beyond normal wind direction).

Wheels have nothing to do with this... Ever strapped a car to a dyno ed??? take the straps off and match the roller speed with the the speed of the wheels exactly.. tell me how much air is flowing over the top of the car...

No air over and under the wing = no lift

Unless of course you can explain to me how you are going to create lift out of no where...

I am of course assuming a few things..

A. That the speed is being matched EXACTLY to effectivly make any movement of the aircraft null..

B. Not a propeller based air plane (basicly its not pulling air over the wings, but it is pushing air from behind)... not that it matters much dont thin a prop based plane would be able to displace nuff air to create nuff lift to get airborn (could if it was an ultra light with some bad *** motor and variable angle prop...)

C. I am not on drugs...

I have an excuse if i am wrong... do you?
Old 01-23-2006, 09:53 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

DEAR GOD!

One last time! The plane DOES move through the air. Its not like a car which moves forward by putting power through the wheels. Instead the plane applies a thrust force on the air around it to move itself forward. Several of you have even said this and still think the plane won't move. If the air around the plane is relatively stationary, what happens when the thrust force is applied? The plane moves forward relative to the air around it! The wheels spin freely so they'll just have to spin twice as fast to keep up with the plane moving forward and the treadmill moving backwards.

The main thing to realize is that the plane doesn't use the wheels to accelerate so it doesn't matter how fast or what direction the wheels are spinning... the plane will still move.

Here's an example to illustrate this. Note I did not come up with this example myself. Imagine you have roller skates on and you're standing on a treadmill. Above you is a set of rails that you can hold on to with your hands that span the length of the treadmill. Now hold on to the rails above your head and turn the treadmill on. The treadmill will be spinning your rollerskates but you'll easily be able to stay stationary by holding on to the railing. Now start pulling yourself forward using your arms and the railing and for the hell of it, increase the speed of the treadmill. Do you move forward? Yes, your roller skates just have to spin faster to keep up.

OK I'm really done now!
Old 01-23-2006, 09:55 PM
VIP Member

put it like this...

if you could have a plane take off with no forward movement at full thrust why the **** dont planes take off when they have their brakes on full lock?

Same damn thing as the question that is posed here (assuming that the conveyor system keeps the plane in the same exact location, and the above conditions are met about propellors, wind over the wing, etc)...

Think about it..
Old 01-23-2006, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Imprezer
It will not fly.
Alex, Alex, Alex, please read any of the postings by Ed or myself starting about midway down the first page, the correct answer is -yes it will fly!

Airplanes rely on the lift created by the moving air against its wings.
Correct, and there is the gist of this problem- the plane will fly because there is nothing keeping it from moving forward under the thrust from its engine- nothing!

The jet engines provide the trust to get the airplane to speed and get it moving through the air that creates drag. Plus, with gravity pulling the airplane down, it needs something to keep it moving.
A jet or even a propeller, in either case planes get their forward momentum by displacing air from in front of them to the rear, NOT FROM THEIR WHEELS!!!!!

So in that example, the wings become absolete since there will be nothing moving against them.
Why did you step off from a totally logical line of reasoning? where does it say anywhere (apart from some misguided posts from people who haven't a clue) that the plane can't move? in fact the problem statement itself says "the plane moves in one direction" the plane moves, it moves because its engines regardless of type- apply a force against the air around it, the plane moves and therefore air flows over its wings.....

And, the jet engines do not produce enough thrust to push the plane off the ground?So, if you wanna refrase the question, take the wings away from the plane.
Why take the wings away? what possible effect does a treadmill on the ground have on the wings?

I think that makes perfect sense.
and now I know why the Chinese are kicking the russians collective **** in science too....
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by dr3d1zzl3
A. That the speed is being matched EXACTLY to effectivly make any movement of the aircraft null..
That assumption is wrong. Re-read the question. It says the treadmill matches the speed of the aircraft in the other direction. But in the end it doesn't matter how fast the treadmill spins, it will never be able to counteract the thrust force generated by the engines/props to keep the plane stationary (assuming the bearings don't sieze up).

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
That's a trick question. As it is stated, the plane will fly. Like others have explained, the plane will move down the runway with the wheels spinning 2x fast as if there was no conveyor.

The other thing is that, because of the way a plane works (doesn't drive the wheels at all, they turn free) if you put a plane on a treadmill or dyno style conveyor belt (reversed the motion of the belt compared to the question in post 1), it will drive off the end of it and take off anyway or crash into something.

In order to throttle a plane and have it not move (and therefore not take off), you need an air treadmill (also known as a wind tunnel).
Old 01-23-2006, 09:57 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
Ok, not i re-red the question and yes, there is not enough info in it.

I can think of one airplane that will take off.

A jet fighter with vertical take-off capability or vector thrusting jet.

Here is another hypothetical question...

Imagine aircraft carrier. 0 wing condition. No wind at all.

Lets stay to take off, a jet (non vector/vertical take off) airplane is about to take off.

Lets say the plane needs to trave Xmph to generate enough lift and take off.

Lets say the aircraft carrier CAN travel at Xmph.

So lets say it is travelling Xmph NORTH.

At what speed will an airplane take off if the plane is taking off toward NORTH (same direction as the ship)?

And, will it take off at all if it is trying to take off going SOUTH?

Remember, NO WIND condition.

Now I am all confused why airplanes fly and don't need to flop their wings like birds. j/k lol
Old 01-23-2006, 09:59 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
DEAR GOD!

One last time! The plane DOES move through the air. Its not like a car which moves forward by putting power through the wheels. Instead the plane applies a thrust force on the air around it to move itself forward. Several of you have even said this and still think the plane won't move. If the air around the plane is relatively stationary, what happens when the thrust force is applied? The plane moves forward relative to the air around it! The wheels spin freely so they'll just have to spin twice as fast to keep up with the plane moving forward and the treadmill moving backwards.

The main thing to realize is that the plane doesn't use the wheels to accelerate so it doesn't matter how fast or what direction the wheels are spinning... the plane will still move.

Here's an example to illustrate this. Note I did not come up with this example myself. Imagine you have roller skates on and you're standing on a treadmill. Above you is a set of rails that you can hold on to with your hands that span the length of the treadmill. Now hold on to the rails above your head and turn the treadmill on. The treadmill will be spinning your rollerskates but you'll easily be able to stay stationary by holding on to the railing. Now start pulling yourself forward using your arms and the railing and for the hell of it, increase the speed of the treadmill. Do you move forward? Yes, your roller skates just have to spin faster to keep up.

OK I'm really done now!

Ed seriously.. you went to UCD engineering school... and you think that the plane is magicaly going to leap out of the air from a stand still...

Again if the treadmill (for lack of a better word) is smart nuff to match the exact forward momentum of the airplane as the thurst is PUSHING IT down the "tread mill", thus negating any forward movement all you are effectivly doing is "locking" the airplane in place at full thrust....

Last i checked when they strapped planes down to do burn ins on the engines they didnt leap out of the air and into flight... (note they strap them down as extra precautions seeing as how brakes fail.. and the last thing you want is a jet tearing *** down a runway uncontrolled)..

do you see what i am saying?
Old 01-23-2006, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by dr3d1zzl3
Wrong.. if the plane is effectively stationary (is this a prop or a jet pane?), the plane wont have any effective airflow over the wings (beyond normal wind direction).

Wheels have nothing to do with this... Ever strapped a car to a dyno ed??? take the straps off and match the roller speed with the the speed of the wheels exactly.. tell me how much air is flowing over the top of the car...

No air over and under the wing = no lift

Unless of course you can explain to me how you are going to create lift out of no where...

I am of course assuming a few things..

B. Not a propeller based air plane (basicly its not pulling air over the wings, but it is pushing air from behind)... not that it matters much dont thin a prop based plane would be able to displace nuff air to create nuff lift to get airborn (could if it was an ultra light with some bad *** motor and variable angle prop...)

C. I am not on drugs...

I have an excuse if i am wrong... do you?
What is your excuse?

AIRPLANES DO NOT DERIVE MOMENTUM THROUGH FORCES TURNING THEIR WHEELS THEY DERIVE MOMENTUM FROM THRUST GENERATED BY THEIR ENGINES AGAINST THE AIR!!!!!!!!!!!!

good god, I thought you had more sense than that!!

Quick Reply: Question: Will the plane fly? (warning: nerdy)