Question: Will the plane fly? (warning: nerdy)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 01:59 PM

Car Info: 02 WRB WRX
this is the best thread ever!
Old 01-26-2006, 04:01 PM

Car Info: 1984 mustang svo
Originally Posted by slagehammer
Now, say you put an airplane (with the jets OFF) on a treadmill moving the airplane backwards going 100mph.

When you turn on the jets, it will move the airplane forward on the treadmill's surface some... and with enough jet-force wouldn't it be able to match the speed of the treadmill?
after it matched the speed of the treadmill it would keep going and accelerate to a speed sufficent to take off
________
Bdsm Videos

Last edited by svo+wrx; 04-14-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:49 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Ed, I'm bumping your thread because Mythbusters is doing this myth this Wednesday (1/30) at 9:00
Old 01-28-2008, 05:47 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx
it won't fly because there is no wind/air moving past the wings. case closed
Old 01-28-2008, 06:06 PM
pwn

Car Info: 09 STi, 10 Cayman S
Originally Posted by MethodBuilt
I was asked this by a friend and I thought it was an interesting question.

A plane is standing on a runway that can move (some sort of band conveyer). The plane moves in one direction, while the conveyer moves in the opposite direction. This conveyer has a control system that tracks the plane speed and tunes the speed of the conveyer to be exactly the same (but in opposite direction).

The question is:

Will the plane take off or not?

Lets see how smart the BAIC really is
Without scrolling down I say yes...planes use the prop or jet engine, not the wheels to get moving lol

Oh damn this thread is from hella days ago...I just looked at the dates! LOL. WOOPS. oh well.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:06 PM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Originally Posted by StupidDent
hmmm... I don't design planes so I can't really answer that question. I believe a plane standing still in relation to ground does not generate enough speed (plane relative to air). However, a plane moving forward relative to ground plus the air flow generated by the jet/prop would bring the plane to the necessary speed (relative to air) for the plane to take-off.

Put it this way, if you hold on to a remote control prop plane. Reach max speed on the prop, let it go, it won't fly "STRAIGHT", it will fall! However, assuming you were at infinit height, the remote control plane will fall and move forward until it reaches neccessary air speed, the plane will then fly "STRAIGHT".

the plane is exerting its force against the air, not the ground. the conveyor belt is irrelevant if the wheels are spinning freely
Old 01-28-2008, 07:31 PM

understand that it isn't the engine or wheels that make the thing fly. it's the wings, and for the wings to create lift u need wind/air to move around it. no forward motion of the plane = no wind/air moving around the wings = no lift = no take off.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:48 PM

WAIT! i just gave it some more thought.... the plane can take off because, the wheels will spin, but the wheels spining isn't going to affect the plane because it isn't the wheels the drive the plane foreword, but the engines are. thus the wheels will just spin faster and faster the other way, but the engines will push the plane foreword. the wheels are just keeping the plane off the ground... so yeah.... plane can take off...... unless the plane isn't moving forward....(gotta put that last part in to cover my ***)
Old 01-28-2008, 11:23 PM
pwn

Car Info: 09 STi, 10 Cayman S
Originally Posted by RU-X
WAIT! i just gave it some more thought.... the plane can take off because, the wheels will spin, but the wheels spining isn't going to affect the plane because it isn't the wheels the drive the plane foreword, but the engines are. thus the wheels will just spin faster and faster the other way, but the engines will push the plane foreword. the wheels are just keeping the plane off the ground... so yeah.... plane can take off...... unless the plane isn't moving forward....(gotta put that last part in to cover my ***)
Old 01-28-2008, 11:48 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
Wed. at 9pm on Mythbusters

"plane on a treadmill" Just saw it on a commercial break.

EDIT lol hmm just saw the reason this thread was bumped lol

If the conveyor belt could move at any mph, the plane would never lift off.
wheels have nothing to do with it, and the engines are useless because the only reason they have engines is to propel the plane and get the wind under the wings for lift.

like taking off at 200 mph WITH 200 mph wind, im pretty sure nothing would happen except a crash.

Smash lab is so stupid, anyone see the concrete braking ramp thing?

"the concrete is hard in some places and brittle in others... wahhhhh"
YOU HAVE TO MOVE THE HOSE AROUND THAT IS PUMPING THE CONCRETE! hows that for a variable RETARDS!
they left it one place thinking that the concrete would all be the same and perfectly mixed.

Last edited by kYLEMtnCRUZr; 01-28-2008 at 11:57 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:22 AM

Car Info: 2006 San Remo Red WRX
Wow. This again. A plane only takes off if there is air moving across the aerofoils at a high enough speed to create lift. The ground speed has nothing to do with it.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:20 AM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
It took me about 10 minutes to think about it. Then I realized the answer was "yes".

I hate this thread!
Old 01-29-2008, 09:53 AM

Car Info: 2006 San Remo Red WRX
I love watching planes lift up when they are not moving. It's because of the wind passing over their wings.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:12 AM

Car Info: 06 WRB WRX Wagon Limited Edition
After much brain exertion. I have come to the conclusion that the plane will take off. Eventually...the plane will be able to take off.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:34 PM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Originally Posted by Sean415
After much brain exertion. I have come to the conclusion that the plane will take off. Eventually...the plane will be able to take off.
it will take off at the same rate it normally would, ground speed has nothing to with it. the plane is exerting only downward force on the ground. forward thrust from the engines is not effected by ground speed and thus its acceleration would remain the same as it normally would.

put on some roller skates and stand on a treadmill, no matter how fast the belt goes you will still go nowehere. same principal in action here.

Quick Reply: Question: Will the plane fly? (warning: nerdy)