Question for the LEOs

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 10:35 AM

Car Info: 2008 SSM WRX Premium
Originally Posted by Akira-R

What I see here is an Officer who sees a problem, and rather than ignore it stopped the person and informed him to be more careful and safer. Maybe now the OP will think twice when turning on a residential at speed. Maybe at that speed, you don't always have the vision to see everything. And then be able to react in time...at that speed.

You haven't seen the amount of accidents and pain caused but something that fit this exact scenario. I can guarantee the officer has, lots of them.

That officer's job is to enforce the law and make the streets safer. And he simply informed the OP to be safer.

It's not the power of the badge that corrupts. It's seeing time and time again, giving someone a break, only to have that person break the law again and possibly cause damage.

Have you ever been let off from a speeding ticket....only to speed again later in the day? Hey, thanks Officer for letting me off. I'm going to speed again in about 20 minutes anyways.

It's human nature to make mistakes. It's human nature to feel that they always deserve 'a break'. It's also human nature to play the victim and devoid ones self from any wrong doing.

Most LEO's i know put their lives on the line to protect people they don't know. People they know probably don't deserve it. But they do it anyways.

OP was pulled over to protect not just the OP, but the lives of someone he might not have seen going into a residential area at speed.

just my 2 cents
Well said!
Old 08-26-2013, 10:37 AM

Car Info: 2013 WRX
Originally Posted by stupidchicken03
Dont think Buzz was talking to you, think his statement was in preparation for the overbear type statements.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:51 AM

Car Info: Eclipse
TBH, it's a hit or miss. I've been pulled over twice in Fremont. Once for no plate as I was leaving the bar and the other for tint. Both times I got away with a warning. In San Diego, I was pulled over twice, again once for tint and the other for no plates. For tint, the officer just pulled me over to talk about his modded civic and to tell me he hated my mud flaps. For my front plate, I actually felt like I got singled out in a group of cars because the cop was just on the side of the road looking for someone to pull over. Well, that's my experience. Sometimes you get cops that are chill, sometimes you don't, but I'm usually optimistic when I get pulled over.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by PaulWalker
TBH, it's a hit or miss. I've been pulled over twice in Fremont. Once for no plate as I was leaving the bar and the other for tint. Both times I got away with a warning. In San Diego, I was pulled over twice, again once for tint and the other for no plates. For tint, the officer just pulled me over to talk about his modded civic and to tell me he hated my mud flaps. For my front plate, I actually felt like I got singled out in a group of cars because the cop was just on the side of the road looking for someone to pull over. Well, that's my experience. Sometimes you get cops that are chill, sometimes you don't, but I'm usually optimistic when I get pulled over.
if right off the bat your thought process is to be a dick or have attitude, then the cop is going to **** with you, but i think if you act chill with the cop then your chances go up for him not to be a power tripping Kiunt
Old 08-26-2013, 10:59 AM

Car Info: Eclipse
Originally Posted by ScoobyScouse84
if right off the bat your thought process is to be a dick or have attitude, then the cop is going to **** with you, but i think if you act chill with the cop then your chances go up for him not to be a power tripping Kiunt
Yeah, I'm usually pretty nice when I get pulled over because it is justifiable (tint or plate). When I get pulled over, I'd roll down my windows and put my keys on the dash.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by PaulWalker
Yeah, I'm usually pretty nice when I get pulled over because it is justifiable (tint or plate). When I get pulled over, I'd roll down my windows and put my keys on the dash.
must be a pain to get pulled over why you are undercover trying to take down a major drug cartel
Old 08-26-2013, 02:41 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
This would be pretty much unbeatable in court. It's vague, blanketing, and purely puts the word of the LEO up against yours.

I doubt I could fight a ticket against this.

Good thing probably zero LEOs even know to use that VC

Originally Posted by Akira-R
What I see here is an Officer who sees a problem, and rather than ignore it stopped the person and informed him to be more careful and safer. Maybe now the OP will think twice when turning on a residential at speed. Maybe at that speed, you don't always have the vision to see everything. And then be able to react in time...at that speed.

You haven't seen the amount of accidents and pain caused but something that fit this exact scenario. I can guarantee the officer has, lots of them.

That officer's job is to enforce the law and make the streets safer. And he simply informed the OP to be safer.

It's not the power of the badge that corrupts. It's seeing time and time again, giving someone a break, only to have that person break the law again and possibly cause damage.

Have you ever been let off from a speeding ticket....only to speed again later in the day? Hey, thanks Officer for letting me off. I'm going to speed again in about 20 minutes anyways.

It's human nature to make mistakes. It's human nature to feel that they always deserve 'a break'. It's also human nature to play the victim and devoid ones self from any wrong doing.

Most LEO's i know put their lives on the line to protect people they don't know. People they know probably don't deserve it. But they do it anyways.

OP was pulled over to protect not just the OP, but the lives of someone he might not have seen going into a residential area at speed.

just my 2 cents
As I stated before, very late at night, very well it corner, dry, and overall great driving conditions. Putting no property or life at risk, which if I cared, would ask how an officer going 40+ in a 25 zone, without his siren/lights on, to catch up to me is not doing exactly the same thing he thinks I'm doing.

Being in 3rd gear coasting at 35 and then turning, you'll slow down to 25 pretty quickly.

However, in the end, it seems it's purely the officer's opinion. There's no objective CVC I am violating, but due to "interpreting" laws differently, I could have been written up. And since there's no way to argue an opinion, there would have been no way to fight the ticket. Good to know and glad he let me off with a warning.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:41 PM

Car Info: 09 WRX, 99 FOZ
Originally Posted by wrx~mike

well said!
+1...
Old 08-26-2013, 10:09 PM

Car Info: 2008 SSM WRX Premium
Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo

Putting no property or life at risk, which if I cared, would ask how an officer going 40+ in a 25 zone, without his siren/lights on, to catch up to me is not doing exactly the same thing he thinks I'm doing.
Because they are legally trained to do so, you are not.

Officers have to undergo countless hours of defensive driving scenarios at high rates of speed and be successful before successfully graduating an LEO Academy.

I have been an EVOC (Emergency Vehicle Operation Corse) Instructor for 7 years and I am very strict in who passes and who can not safely handle a vehicle under such conditions and fail them.

So, before you judge, have an understanding of the training that is involved before an Officer even hits the streets.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:19 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by WRX~Mike
I have been an EVOC (Emergency Vehicle Operation Corse) Instructor for 7 years and I am very strict in who passes and who can not safely handle a vehicle under such conditions and fail them.
I've done evoc 6 times and have to renew again by the end of the year i have some sweet gopro vids
Old 08-27-2013, 06:00 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi

Officers have to undergo countless hours of defensive driving scenarios at high rates of speed and be successful before successfully graduating an LEO Academy.

So, before you judge, have an understanding of the training that is involved before an Officer even hits the streets.
And yet, any of us here with even a light touch of race training can outdrive, safely, any LEO out there.

Training =/= safe, just like every officer I have met at gun ranges shoot less offten, and with less accuracy than many CCW owners do. (I myself put 400+ rounds a month thru my guns).

I understand you are a "trainer" and you feel your course is top notch. I am not meaning to belittle that, however to claim that "officers" are better judges at driving than anyone else out there, is absolute bull****.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:05 AM

Car Info: 06 WRB Wagon #wackfitmentsteex
Originally Posted by Overbear

to claim that "officers" are better judges at driving than anyone else out there, is absolute bull****.
Unfortunately, I agree with overbear here.

Who here hasn't been followed dangerously close by a LEO, or seen one on thier cell.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:49 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX

Okay, since they must be better drivers, please tell me how useful that training was when an officer rear ended my friend at a stop sign because he wasn't paying attention when the line of cars was slowly creeping forward and stopped. Conveniently, after he did that, he flipped on his lights and took off, basically completing a hit and run.

You being a quality instructor is irrelevant in terms of saying all LEOs are good drivers, unless you're the only trainer for California. Using the logic of your statement, I could say: I am a strict mathematics teacher and will fail any student who isn't qualified to go to the next class, this must mean all students who graduate high school are good mathematicians. We all know this is false. Just because you train well, does not mean everyone trains well. I'm sorry, but your use of logic is severely flawed.

However, disregarding your flawed statement and assuming all LEOs are highly trained and qualified, physics stays the same. A heavier car with lower coefficient of friction tires (do crown vics run summer only tires or all seasons?) does not do anything in his favor. Higher inertia and lower friction means slower turns and longer braking distances.

Even without these negative factors, if he's going ~1.6x faster than I am, and we negate the differences of driving a heavier car and worse tires, assume he had the same braking power and distance. Physics tells us he will still travel 1.6^2, or 2.56x the distance it requires me to stop. Not to mention his reaction time will have to be 0.625x mine while having my car obstruct his view of whatever is in front of my car, otherwise his braking distance will increase further by any additional time needed to react.

This street is a residential street, meaning 1 lane each way with many cars parked along the shoulder. If he had to emergency brake, he would have flown past me, or into me. As I stated earlier, I was going 25 on the residential. If someone was crossing the street, they easily could have been hit by him or by him forcing me into them, as there's no space to avoid the pedestrian. This is the cvc that covers the basic speed law, and unfortunately, it's based more off of physics than driver skill. The turn I took "too fast" has a red zone area which easily allows at least 5 car widths wide of open road because of an included left turn lane and no cars allowed to park on the shoulder so close to the corner. Continue to think what you will, but facts state his driving put a higher risk of person/property damage than my left turn ever did.

Also, you tell me not to judge before having an understanding. Didn't you do the same by assuming my driving training is so severely lacking compared to an LEO?

Last edited by STi-owns-evo; 08-27-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:55 AM

Car Info: 2015 FXT Stage II
pwned
Old 08-27-2013, 09:56 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6

Unfortunately, you aren't the only dude instructing. There are so many LEOs who have hardly a grasp on car control. So many chase crashes, and incidents and accidents.

Sure, there are poor drivers all around, but you KNOW what i'm talking about. Far too many get past the EVOC, and they can hardly control a car in a skid.

I even know 2 different officers, different depts, who have crashed 2x each. Still on the job!

From my personal experience with LEOs, most don't know the VC outside of speeding and normal fix its. Most can't handle a car at speed. Most are not very good at judging speed.

But most are pretty cool, and personable, and just trying to do their jobs.

Last edited by joltdudeuc; 08-27-2013 at 09:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Question for the LEOs