Question about wanting to go wingless.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 12:37 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Question about wanting to go wingless.

I've been wrestling with the idea of going wingless on my black '06 STI, but I don't know the best way to go about it. Should I take it to a body shop? Should I buy a new trunk from somewhere? Is there anyone local that would want to trunk swap with me?
Old 11-11-2008, 12:39 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by saqwarrior
I've been wrestling with the idea of going wingless on my black '06 STI, but I don't know the best way to go about it. Should I take it to a body shop? Should I buy a new trunk from somewhere? Is there anyone local that would want to trunk swap with me?
Trade trunks. People are always willing to do it.

I personally like the limited lip.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Trade trunks. People are always willing to do it.

I personally like the limited lip.
Yeah, that's the one that I want.

So how 'bout it? Anyone local up for a trunk swap?
Old 11-11-2008, 12:42 PM
General Pimpin'

post an add in the classifieds for a trunk swap. You probably won't find a limited but get a stock one and buy a limited.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:44 PM

Car Info: 2000 Tacoma Pre-Runner 4 Cyl.
Well easier to buy another trunk and have your STi trunk and wing for track days. If you trade it you will have it, you can take off the wing and fill the holes with masking tape. I tape mine up and check it often to see if it leaks or not. It looks crappy beacuase the wing over times moves and takes off the paint and also scratches it as well. I like the fact that I am wingless and I do not mind that I have some scratches on the upper part of my trunk. I also like the fact that I have the option to put my wing back on and have that dual look about my car, winged one day, wingless the next day.

Another alternative is taking off the wing and having it filled and painted to be wingless can cost anywhere from $200 to $500 to do so.

The hardest part with trading for a wingless trunk is that nowadays you have to wait and even offer like $100 to get someone to trade you for their wingless trunk. A few years back people would pay you $100-$200 for the STi trunk swap. Just the way it goes now, so just keep looking around I guess.

-Gio
Old 11-11-2008, 12:52 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX STi, 1993 240sx (going under knife soon)
It is getting harder to find people who are willing to trade their wingless trunks for STi trunks, but post in as many classifieds as you can think of and you might get lucky. I too am looking to go wingless at some point, but I plan to keep my current trunk and buy an additional winglesss setup, jsut so that I can go back to OEM if I want, which I'm sure I will.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:53 PM

Car Info: 05 cgm imp
I was quoted 800 to shave my trunk...welding and painting 10 holes. no one with cgm wingless wanna trade so I just plan on buying a new trunk. good luck to you, since urs is black, I don't think you'll have too much trouble trading.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by East Bay STI
Another alternative is taking off the wing and having it filled and painted to be wingless can cost anywhere from $200 to $500 to do so.
That seems like my best option if I want to go completely wingless. Does anyone have any south bay body shop suggestions?
Old 11-11-2008, 12:59 PM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
I wanted a wingless trunk and lucked out and bought one on here for a couple hundred bucks so i could keep my winged trunk. I didn't want to give up my trunk so its sitting in storage for whenever i want to put it back on. Good luck finding what you want i so love being wingless.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:04 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
my RS you just unbolt the wing, and cover up the holes...so STi's are not like that?
Old 11-11-2008, 01:09 PM

Car Info: '15 LE STI, '06 WRX White Wheeled Wagon, '06 B9
you know there is a trunk swap thread. check in there. use the search button. also see if you cant pick one up some guys are straight up selling it.

i agree with keeping your ing and going wingless. gives you the option of which way you wanna go. i personally like the limited wing. It doesnt scream to the cops to pull you over yet you still have the look. i dont care for the wingless look. although some guys can rock it pretty well.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:35 PM
banned

Car Info: 2007 WRX Limited | vf43'D
Sometimes you look for months, sometimes you get lucky. I found a guy on nasioc from L.A. that met up with me @ Buttonwillow to do the swap.

Millennium Auto (www.Y2Kimports.com) has them for a few hundred bucks.

Or try and get a low priced carbon one off ebay since if car is black?
Old 11-11-2008, 01:51 PM

I found this one on Ebay. What do you guys think? And how hard is it to install? Should I even attempt to do it myself?
Old 11-11-2008, 04:07 PM
DTM

Car Info: 2004 WRB STI
I tried trading my trunk for a wingless for about 2 months and finally gave up...
Old 11-11-2008, 04:10 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by saqwarrior
I found this one on Ebay. What do you guys think? And how hard is it to install? Should I even attempt to do it myself?
My guess is that you'll have to drill everything yourself and use all the hardware off your stock trunk. So if you're **** about measurements you should be able to do it yourself.

I hope you get/have a CF hood too. Otherwise just go to a junk yard and find a wingless trunk and have it painted. Sell your stock one.

Quick Reply: Question about wanting to go wingless.