Quality tools, quality brands?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 08:48 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
I use a mix of sears, husky, and snap on, however for the cheep stuff that is one off use (like 44m sockets and BIG *** breaker bars) I will just pick up harbor freight stuff.

Also in the truck(rock crawler) all my tools are harbor freight, because then I don't care if they get lost/stolen.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:29 AM

Car Info: 06 wrx wagon
Originally Posted by mdelosrey
Snap-on's quality has gone down as of late. This is where it stands in my opinion as of now.

Ratchets: Matco

I have a ratchet fetish and between Snap-on and Matco. The Snap-on ones require more "warranty" work.

Sockets: Snap-on quality is still rather high on these.

I have a full set of Matco and Snap-on sockets. The Matco just dont feel as good as the Snap-on sockets.

Tools boxes: Matco

The Matco 4s, 5s, and 6s series boxes are built Much better than the equivalent Snap-on KRL boxes. You even get more real estate for the price. Once a year Matco also has a buy a box and get a hutch or side locker for free!

I don't just buy one brand, because you'd be an idiot if you bought an inferior tool due to the name. I don't have a lot of Mac for the simple fact that the tool guy doesn't come around.

Also if you are just using these tools at home. BUY craftsman, its lifetime warranty so it doesn't matter what you do to the tools. You can probably go a day or two with a broken 3/8 ratchet.
if my memory serves me correct, mdelosrey works on cars all day, so i'd go with his advice!
Old 11-18-2009, 01:14 PM

Car Info: 2015 FR-S
Keep in mind that the way people use and care for their tools does affect tool service life.

Although Craftsman is generally good for home use, some of their tools are not worth buying. For example, the tips of their Phillips head screwdrivers wear out quickly. Their ratchets are very crude and prone to failure. Use a Snap-On ratchet and a Craftsman ratchet side by side and you'll know what I mean. Their wire cutters are dull, even when new...

S-K also makes good mechanics tools. I also like Gearwrench's ratcheting combination wrenches.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:48 PM

Car Info: 13 Taco Double Cab 4x4/ 71 Datsun 510
Originally Posted by dogcatfud
What flea market do you go to that has Craftsman tools? I must never have any luck. Most flea markets I've been to have vendors that sell Harbor Freight and other made in China knockoffs.
SJ Flea market at oakland rd has craftsman tools
Old 11-19-2009, 10:02 AM

Car Info: 2005 STi
Originally Posted by mdelosrey
Snap-on's quality has gone down as of late. This is where it stands in my opinion as of now.

Ratchets: Matco

I have a ratchet fetish and between Snap-on and Matco. The Snap-on ones require more "warranty" work.

Sockets: Snap-on quality is still rather high on these.

I have a full set of Matco and Snap-on sockets. The Matco just dont feel as good as the Snap-on sockets.

Tools boxes: Matco

The Matco 4s, 5s, and 6s series boxes are built Much better than the equivalent Snap-on KRL boxes. You even get more real estate for the price. Once a year Matco also has a buy a box and get a hutch or side locker for free!

I don't just buy one brand, because you'd be an idiot if you bought an inferior tool due to the name. I don't have a lot of Mac for the simple fact that the tool guy doesn't come around.

Also if you are just using these tools at home. BUY craftsman, its lifetime warranty so it doesn't matter what you do to the tools. You can probably go a day or two with a broken 3/8 ratchet.
This. I couldn't agree more on the ratchets. They also have more teeth than Snap-On from the ones I have used.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:19 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
For the high end stuff (Snap-On, Matco, Mac) is there a store in the area that you can get this stuff at? It looks like you can order the stuff through their websites, but I don't recall any particular stores that carried their stuff.

It seems like they do have the tool trucks go to the different Auto Shops / Mechanic Shops and that is how they sell these tools normally.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:27 PM

Car Info: 2015 FR-S
The high-end/professional brands are primarily sold through franchised tool trucks. They drive onto the lots of dealerships, independent repair shops, etc. and the mechanics go out and buy tools, often on credit.

A Snap-On and Mac guy comes to my workplace on a weekly basis. I haven't seen the Matco guy for months.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by dogcatfud
The high-end/professional brands are primarily sold through franchised tool trucks. They drive onto the lots of dealerships, independent repair shops, etc. and the mechanics go out and buy tools, often on credit.

A Snap-On and Mac guy comes to my workplace on a weekly basis. I haven't seen the Matco guy for months.
This is true however I have had pretty good luck looking up "my local Snap-On distributor" and getting connected to a truck who will let me know where he's at so I can grab some stuff. When I was in Hawaii, the local guy there gave me his card and if I needed something I would phone him and meet up.