Pulled over by SFPD for speeding on 101/280

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 04:55 AM

Car Info: 2001 Honda Oddysey
Originally Posted by silverbullet415
what exhaust do u have
stromung dual tip.
He didn't know what to look for when he looked under the hood. He asked if i had a modified exhaust, and I said yes so I wouldnt get myself into more trouble
Old 06-12-2009, 05:25 AM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Originally Posted by wrx=owned
contest by written declaration not in person...
file as many extensions as possible first... then switch to trial by written dec. by the time its due it will be 10 months from now and the cop will have forgotten. just write on a piece of paper "im not guilty" and mail it in.

done.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by irrational x
file as many extensions as possible first... then switch to trial by written dec. by the time its due it will be 10 months from now and the cop will have forgotten. just write on a piece of paper "im not guilty" and mail it in.

done.
but wouldnt the officer be reminded somehow?

So is that even possible to switch over to written declaration after setting a court date to appear in person?
Old 06-12-2009, 09:44 AM

Car Info: Nadda
Originally Posted by Ivegotthenuts
but wouldnt the officer be reminded somehow?

So is that even possible to switch over to written declaration after setting a court date to appear in person?
They technically write down in a notebook or something every one they've pulled over for this very exact situation. Just do what IrrationalX said, as long as you were nice and courteous, the dude won't know who you are, nor will he write anything in response.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:18 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2008 EVO X/1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R32
go stock, drive the speed limit, have the insurance in your car from now on, have a good day.

maybe you were not doing 80, but doing 65 in a 50 is still speeding, so he has all rights to pull you oaver, as psoper said. It does suck to get pulled over, but if you are speeding, you have no complaint. I was pissed when I got my ticket, but it was my fault so i paid and moved on.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:18 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
Written Declaration Trial. Just be clear and explain that changing lanes while signaling is not "Weaving in and out of traffic" Momentarily speeding up to pass someone who is moving too slow on the highway is a safety issue while other cars are flying by faster than that speed, that is an interruption of flow of traffic. As for the speeding going 80 he has no proof. Since its a SFPD cop just do the written declaration and turn it in, he won't even write one most likely.

"Its not what you know, its what you can prove."
Old 06-12-2009, 11:52 AM
Yin

Car Info: 2016 FXT
Originally Posted by VRT Gump
go stock, drive the speed limit, have the insurance in your car from now on, have a good day.

maybe you were not doing 80, but doing 65 in a 50 is still speeding, so he has all rights to pull you oaver, as psoper said. It does suck to get pulled over, but if you are speeding, you have no complaint. I was pissed when I got my ticket, but it was my fault so i paid and moved on.
this is much too logical for us internet users.

i agree though, i was pulled over at the same 101/280 50mph zone for doing 70. i didnt know it was a 50mph. i was polite to the CHP officer, and he was nice enough to hint that it's a speed trap (san mateo county to sf county is 65mph --> 50mph instantaneoulsy), i said sorry i didnt know, i got the ticket, and left. before he walked back to his patrol car, i asked him every question i could, in a very polite manner of course:

- could i see the radar? "no radar"
- how did you know i was going 70mph? "i paced you"
- is the car speedometer accurate? "yes"
- does the department calibrate the car speedometer? "yes"
- does the department have documentation for the calibration? "yes"
- when was the last calibration done? "a few weeks ago"
- how often do the speedometers get calibrated? "every quarter"
- can you show the documentation? "not in the car right now"

after this, there isnt much that can be done other than contesting it in court or via writing. these are things you can use in the written dec. my number one advice is: just dont be a dick (not that im saying you were one. just saying in general), and let the system work for you.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:53 AM
Yin

Car Info: 2016 FXT
oh btw, how does one file for those extensions? via mail or at the courthouse?
Old 06-12-2009, 01:28 PM

Car Info: wrx02
stromung dual tip.
He didn't know what to look for when he looked under the hood. He asked if i had a modified exhaust, and I said yes so I wouldnt get myself into more trouble
Don't be too hard on yourself. You were being honest. It's infarction and not a crime!

Yes, do trial by declaration. At least, that way you will buy some time. At least 6 month before your insurance goes up. Why pay more soon when you can delay it - that's if you do loose. Perhaps, there is a small chance officer will not submit his part of trial by declaration. That's at least some (may be small) percentage that you may win.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:36 PM

Car Info: 1.8L FWD
stromung dual tip.
why did he look under your hood?
Old 06-12-2009, 01:52 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
I recently contested a speeding ticket by the trial by declaration and lost. Although some people say that the cops get lazy and won't to write their case, I doubt this is true. I believe cops have templates where they fill-in-the-blanks so it doesn't take them much time. After I lost, I was able to see what the officer submitted which looked like a standard template.

If you do lose, the judge may not offer you traffic school again (assuming you were offered this option before fighting the ticket). Now I have to go to court and basically ask for traffic school - I could try fighting the ticket, but I doubt I'll win if the officer appears. (FYI, that point was reported to the DMV immediately after I lost my trial by declaration. So, I'm not sure how this will all pan out.)

My ticket was for 22349a, so it's a bit different that your's.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Yin
oh btw, how does one file for those extensions? via mail or at the courthouse?
+1

I'm going to try every tactic I can before I have to appear in person in court.

Has anyone here ever tried the old dropping the pen and asking how fast it was moving trick? I think I might have to give that a try if all else doesn't go my way.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:37 PM

http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/forms.cgi

It is TR-205. (trial by declaration form)

Look at TR200 for it's basic instruction.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:42 PM

Car Info: 13 Taco Double Cab 4x4/ 71 Datsun 510
www.ticketassassin.com
Old 06-12-2009, 05:49 PM

Here is my instruction.

1. Since you just got the ticket, it will not be in the court system.
It will take may be two months to arrive to your mail box. If it doesn't call the court clerk. You are still responsible even if the notice doesn't arrive to your house. The officer should have written which traffic court on your original ticket.

2. When you do call the court ask the clerk to extend your due date. More time for you.

3. Mail your TBD within the due date. Make sure you pay the correct bail amount with it. Call the clerk to make sure how much.

4. Then wait and see.

So, cop wrote you for doing 80mph. What was max speed limit he wrote on the ticket. If it is only 55mph, which makes you over 25mph - then you will not get a traffic school chance.

Quick Reply: Pulled over by SFPD for speeding on 101/280