PSA: beware of fumigation

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 08:56 PM
banned

PSA: beware of fumigation

so, my roomate and i had our house tented up and fumigated yesterday. it was a bit of a bummer since it was my bday but you just got to make the best of it.

so we did some riding, got some dinner, and went bar hopping in SF. we come home around 4am today and i call up my friend around noontime to check up on the house.

good news: fumigation complete in 1 day.
bad news: we got robbed.

damage assessment? i'm missing a laptop, watches, a jar of change, binder of music cds and games, and a pillow case. my friend is missing his laptop, xbox, watches (a rolex from his late grandpa), dvds, and his games.

it looks like they slashed the tent and tried the front door but they got in through the open window in my room (all windows needed to be opened). our closets, drawers, cabinets were all opened and examined.

terminix assured the landlord that security wasn't a problem. today, we find out from the contractor that they had a couple theft cases in the last year. the pg&e guy who came to turn on our gas said it's fairly common as well.

the weird thing is what they didn't take. my friends ipod nano and digicam were in open sight but weren't taken. the 1st-gen xbox controllers weren't taken, only the -s controllers. the ps2 was left behind but the controllers were taken. my dreamcast was left behind but all the games for it were taken. :confused

be sure to move all your valuables when you get your house fumigated!
Old 09-23-2006, 10:07 PM

Car Info: 05 STi
Sorry to hear about what happened. My dad had his old house fumigated way back in the day when I was in middle school. I remember they sent 2 security guards to watch the place before we left to go to a hotel.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:13 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
That sucks, sorry to hear. Sort of strange that they took some things but left others.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:00 AM

Car Info: 2004 WRX Wagon PSM
Dude, that sucks.

Same thing happened to me when I was living in San Diego. House was tented for fumigation, and someone cut a hole in the tent and cleaned us out. They took my Les Paul, 1960's Fender Vibrolux, recording equipment, computers, stereos, clothes, cd's, etc. the only thing they didn't take was surfboards, skateboards and wetsuits. I checked pawn shops for years hoping to find my Les Paul.

I hate thieves!!! I hope they're caught and prosecuted (or tortured).

It may be too late now, but get renters insurance. Small price to pay for peace of mind. If you ever live in another place that needs to be tented, make sure the landlord/owner hires 24 hour security.

Last edited by johsti; 09-24-2006 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:00 AM

oh man, that really sucks. it would never cross my mind to think about theft. i guess retarded people stake out tented houses . I hope they went in too early and die from poison.