Private Drag Busted by Union City Police at 4am 05/13/05??

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 11:27 AM

Car Info: sc300
racing is never safe... but not having safety gear and ambulance on site makes it even more unsafe.. for young kids unsafe = fun so yah...
Old 05-17-2005, 09:46 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRB Wagon
damn kids. No respect for themselves, the community, the environment, others, their cars. A no-no. You get what you deserve regardless of what cards you are delt with. No wonder why kids nowadays have better cars in hs than I did. Because they think that it gives them respect. I was with Shiv when he was dynoing a couple of guys cars from 707 area. They wanted more power to run that night (May 7th) in Oakland. I listened to why it is they want more power when they are already winning the races and why they race there. The answer was respect. How poor it is to try to gain respect without earning it the right way..
Old 05-17-2005, 09:52 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
can't find it...where is the new report link for this?

Or is there one?
Old 05-17-2005, 10:04 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Originally Posted by jonp
No, you're not safe doing either of the 2. I was just making the point that everyone that didn't buy a sports car to grow a bigger *****, probably drives it fast every once in a while. Street racing in a large enough vacant parking lot is probably as safe as doing 80 around an onramp to get on the freeway when there's nobody around.
You lose at the justification.

Let's see..

Driving 80 on an onramp to enter a freeway. There could be traffic on the freeway ahead or behind. They're likely going at least 55mph, though more likely 65mph - 75 or 80mph. Entering the freeway at 80mph is a slight speed difference and it's unlikely that a collision would occur with other traffic.

Now, racing in a parking lot. A place where traffic is likely to be traveling at 15mph or less. Two cars are racing, both at full throttle, both likely reaching speeds in excess of 60mph. Anyone could be driving through that parking lot, for any reason, at any time, and would likely be moving at a slow rate of speed. It's dark, so visibility is limited. The two racers could easily hit this car and kill the driver.

The difference is, on the freeway, you expect fast moving traffic, and doing 80, though illegal, is certainly safer for surrounding traffic (provided they're doing very close to the same speed) than doing 50 or 60 in a parking lot in a race.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:13 AM

Car Info: '05 STI
Originally Posted by sonicsuby
You lose at the justification.

Let's see..

Driving 80 on an onramp to enter a freeway. There could be traffic on the freeway ahead or behind. They're likely going at least 55mph, though more likely 65mph - 75 or 80mph. Entering the freeway at 80mph is a slight speed difference and it's unlikely that a collision would occur with other traffic.

Now, racing in a parking lot. A place where traffic is likely to be traveling at 15mph or less. Two cars are racing, both at full throttle, both likely reaching speeds in excess of 60mph. Anyone could be driving through that parking lot, for any reason, at any time, and would likely be moving at a slow rate of speed. It's dark, so visibility is limited. The two racers could easily hit this car and kill the driver.

The difference is, on the freeway, you expect fast moving traffic, and doing 80, though illegal, is certainly safer for surrounding traffic (provided they're doing very close to the same speed) than doing 50 or 60 in a parking lot in a race.
booooo down with street raycaarrrrss and the SRT4 is fastarrrrRRR!!!11!!eleven!1 happy now?

My "justification" wasn't an argument in favor of either. And, if you want to be one of those guys, I'll answer you back: you're doing 80 on the onramp which is a posted 30mph. 80-30 is 50 over (you like math). 50 or 60 in a parking lot: 60-15=45 (happy now? street racing is safer? On top of that: There are NO cars in the parking lots they are racing in. I've seen where these guys got busted, and it looked pretty safe to me.

My point was, that driving fast anywhere is not good. Just because some people choose to do it with the most control they have (vacant out of the way parking lot) instead of on public streets and freeways they are picked out and ground on. Street racing is bad, but people make it out to be the worst crime going on in cars. I was merely trying to make a point that DUI is far more of a problem, and is far more common. The DUI issue seems to have been moved to the back burner while we get rid of the street racer punks.

It feels like the same kind of persecution we gave to the skateboarders. For a while there, if you were even carrying a skateboard the cops would follow you around to harass. I have a friend that was given a ticket for riding on the sidewalk one day, and then a ticket for jaywalking(or maybe it was failure to yield or illegal lane usage..it was a VC ticket. He said it was the same ticket his brother got on a bicycle going down the street in the bike lane the wrong direction) when he was skating in the bikelane the next day.

The other thing that bothers me about this outcry on street racing is that anyone that does anything at all with or to their cars is a street racer. I have a completely stock STI and I've been pulled over more than 10 since I've owned the car: Heard tire screeching, reports of street racers, rear wing is a violation, exhaust is a violation...those are the lame ones, but I also got pulled over a few times when I didn't have my plates on. Every time I had to almost argue with the police that the car was completely stock. I've never gotten a ticket, but it was obvious they were profiling me.