Prius..not so environmentally/economically friendly!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 09:58 AM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
Prius..not so environmentally/economically friendly!

http://clubs.ccsu.edu/recorder/edito...asp?NewsID=188
Old 03-23-2007, 10:14 AM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
The CNW study off of which this guy's article is ENTIRELY based was soundly debunked last summer. Guess who CNW is? A MARKETING company. Employed by US manufacturers. Not a company qualified to be making studies about lifecycles. Who IS qualified to make such evaluations? Maybe a scientific lab like Argonne National Laboratory orMassachusetts Institute of Technology with publish peer-reviewed studies? Studies by both labs (not MARKETING firms) show completely different and opposite results.

Not to mention that the Scion that he recommends has effectivly the same dust to dust cycle as the Prius. And the claim in the report that the Prius batteries are not recycled is also false. Every INCH of the battery, plastic, wiring, Ni and all is recycled.

If you want to feel smug about something, feel smug that your 2.0L turbocharged engine makes more power than many of the US's 3L V6s. Feeling smug that a Prius is somehow less green than, well, pretty much anything sold in mass quantities is grossly naive.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:17 AM

Only in the cost to own portion does he site the CNW study, the fact is, making those huge batteries is NOT ecofriendly, nor is "recycling" them.

A lot of prius owners are highly defensive/in denial about it
Old 03-23-2007, 10:36 AM

Car Info: I is not STiYLIN n e moar
how smug

Old 03-23-2007, 10:43 AM
i-Club Sympathizer

Car Info: 1969 BMW R75/5 & Work Whip
Originally Posted by ucbsti
Only in the cost to own portion does he site the CNW study, the fact is, making those huge batteries is NOT ecofriendly, nor is "recycling" them.

I had a long conversation with an engineer once about the Prius vs. Civic hybrids (I used to have a Civic hybrid). He applauded my decision for buying the Civic over the Prius as the Prius batteries actually use more resources to make than they save. The batteries in the Civic are made in a more eco-friendly way. So he explained to me.

I now drive a gas hog. I'm totally happy.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:47 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn
i read an article just like that a while back.. it makes me want to slap prius owners for thinking they are so elite...
Old 03-23-2007, 10:50 AM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
Originally Posted by evsoul
i read an article just like that a while back.. it makes me want to slap prius owners for thinking they are so elite...
+1

and they get to use the carpool lane how lame...
Old 03-23-2007, 10:52 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn
ya from now on the scion xb should get to use it.. and same with all the other small motor cars like them...

also the wrx should get to also... jeremy care to share your carpool ok sticker you made? haha
Old 03-23-2007, 10:52 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by ucbsti

VERY true. They are actually quite funny.. I heard someone at work quote that "Saves 325 gallons a year" sign on 101 and I asked - over what - a Civic or a Suburban? They were like.. "uhh.. I don't know." Happy to educate others on how "economical" they are though haha..
Old 03-23-2007, 10:55 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 03_Impreza_Al
+1

and they get to use the carpool lane how lame...
This is really whacky since... Hybrids get their best mileage in stop and go - not whipping by in the carpool lane. Non-hybrids get their best mileage whilst cruising, not sitting idling or stop-n-go while the hybrids go whipping by getting worst mileage than a Yaris. Go California!!

How about all those new metering lights on 101 now... No discernable difference in traffic except that now instead of cruising onto the freeway, you have to stop, wait and then drag race the cars on the freeway in order to merge. Not a problem in the R32, but it damn sure uses more fuel. Go California!

Sheesh.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:40 AM

Car Info: I is not STiYLIN n e moar
Originally Posted by Unit 91
I had a long conversation with an engineer once about the Prius vs. Civic hybrids (I used to have a Civic hybrid). He applauded my decision for buying the Civic over the Prius as the Prius batteries actually use more resources to make than they save. The batteries in the Civic are made in a more eco-friendly way. So he explained to me.

I now drive a gas hog. I'm totally happy.
my brother has one of those '06 Civic hybrids. He loves that lil thing. I drove it and couldn't get over how all the vavles close when you come to a stop. It feels like the motor shuts down, then you press the gas and bam, it starts up again.

On the hybrid tip, I will buy one of those turbo hybrids Suby is working on for release in '08-'09 for the ol lady.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:56 AM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Diesel Powerz FTW!!!

Screw all that hybrid crap. Batteries are toxic and heavy. And diesels love the turbo!
Old 03-23-2007, 12:05 PM

Car Info: WRB 18g + Meth (sold) 07 BMW 335i coupe
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
This is really whacky since... Hybrids get their best mileage in stop and go - not whipping by in the carpool lane. Non-hybrids get their best mileage whilst cruising, not sitting idling or stop-n-go while the hybrids go whipping by getting worst mileage than a Yaris. Go California!!

How about all those new metering lights on 101 now... No discernable difference in traffic except that now instead of cruising onto the freeway, you have to stop, wait and then drag race the cars on the freeway in order to merge. Not a problem in the R32, but it damn sure uses more fuel. Go California!

Sheesh.
yea...really huh...i guess its supposed to lessen traffic on the freeway?
Old 03-23-2007, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Superglue WRX
Diesel Powerz FTW!!!

Screw all that hybrid crap. Batteries are toxic and heavy. And diesels love the turbo!
I agree..diesel engines (especially turbo diesel) are far more efficient than IC gas engines
Old 03-23-2007, 12:15 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Jake
yea...really huh...i guess its supposed to lessen traffic on the freeway?
Well, the same amount of traffic exists of course - the metering lights are supposed to meter the flow onto the freeway so the on-ramps don't bog down the existing traffic flow. This is the theory. In reality, they don't make a noticable difference (IMHO) but what the do mostly is what I mentioned above, plus causing serious and dangerous merging problems when people have less than half the previous space to get up to speed and now have to do it from a stop instead of rolling, and the best - near gridlock at any intersections that are on or near onramps since the traffic gets so totally backed up on the onramp. I see this in the mornings now as the biggest change so far - cars parked in the middle of intersections because they didn't plan well when the lights change, and they couldn't get onto the freeway cause of the metering lights....

Quick Reply: Prius..not so environmentally/economically friendly!