Prayers Needed: RIP Eric Houts (jagstyle)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 11:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: MY04 STi some call it a race car
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Just over a year ago, I had a friend call me and left a message mere hours before she killed herself.
For some reason, I saved the message (before I found out she killed herself).
I still have it & listen to from time to time.
to this day my grandmother has my grandfathers voice on her VM system, i often hang up before it gets there but from time to time i do listen to it...brings back memories, which should be shared every so often, even if its been 12+ years...its a solid reminder of life.

-Noah
Old 05-25-2010, 12:17 PM
Da Brit.

Car Info: http://tinyurl.com/3vo4362
maybe this stays with me because he did it on my birthday, but I've found myself checking on this thread quite a bit. I feel like I'm supposed to do or say something but i dont know what it is...
Old 05-25-2010, 12:17 PM
Former Sponsor

stickers are in production.

i have them coming in white background w/ black lettering, and black background with white lettering.

its a small world, I just found out the company I'm using for the stickers, the owner's wife is friends with Eric's mom.

I will advise when they are ready and i will then put up the paypal and instructions.

-Noah
Old 05-25-2010, 12:21 PM

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX
Wow this is very sad to hear
I didnt know Eric, but I followed his build on iwsti almost religiously. Terrible. My condolences go to his family and friends, RIP buddy.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:17 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX STi
Rip
Old 05-25-2010, 01:33 PM

Car Info: Nadda
It's a sad story, I hope the family is doing well.

On another tone I am upset at the cause of death. That isn't tragic, that was an easy way out.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:58 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
Originally Posted by LICmotorsports
i will do all that once i have the stickers in hand

-Noah

great, just let me know when you have them so I can send you my payment
Old 05-25-2010, 02:11 PM

Car Info: '05 OBP STi / e36 Dinan M3 / DRZ400-SM / '09 250R
First of all, I didn't know Eric, but people I call friends, did. I'm so sorry to all of you, his friends and family, for your loss. It makes me so sad to read this, and I can't imagine how hard it must be for all of you.

For those with opinions on how he passed... you obviously have no idea what it's like to make that choice. That was his choice to make, and in his heart and mind, it was the right one. That was HIS opinion, let him have it, you have no right to argue that because he now has his peace and that was all he wanted.

It doesn't matter how he seemed on the outside, it was obviously too hard for the outward appearances to balance out how he felt inside. If you've been there, you know how hard it can be. If you made it back from there, that's great. It makes you strong, but not necessarily strongER, than him. Either way, it takes a lot of courage to go down either path. Only the people who will *never* understand, would argue otherwise, so let's leave that issue alone please, for everyone's sake.

that's all I got to say...

Rest in peace Eric Houts.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: WRX, EVO, MSP3
Originally Posted by iLoqin
On another tone I am upset at the cause of death. That isn't tragic, that was an easy way out.
Not sure about that one mate, based on being someone that at one point in my life hit pretty much rock bottom these thoughts more than crossed my mind and even in the state I was in at the time (20 years old and into a lot of things I am lucky to have survived) I still didn't have the nads to do it.

I think that the whole depression thing is a swinging pendulum and depending on what happens at which point of it your at can determine what you deem as the best possible solution. For some a string of light hits at the right time and you perhaps realize that asking for help is neither an act of weakness nor a sign of giving up your personal battle, the same goes the other way when your at your lowest point something else kicks you square in the nuts and is enough to tilt you another direction.

Just my thoughts on it.

Mike
Old 05-25-2010, 02:28 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by donnamatrix
First of all, I didn't know Eric, but people I call friends, did. I'm so sorry to all of you, his friends and family, for your loss. It makes me so sad to read this, and I can't imagine how hard it must be for all of you.

For those with opinions on how he passed... you obviously have no idea what it's like to make that choice. That was his choice to make, and in his heart and mind, it was the right one. That was HIS opinion, let him have it, you have no right to argue that because he now has his peace and that was all he wanted.

It doesn't matter how he seemed on the outside, it was obviously too hard for the outward appearances to balance out how he felt inside. If you've been there, you know how hard it can be. If you made it back from there, that's great. It makes you strong, but not necessarily strongER, than him. Either way, it takes a lot of courage to go down either path. Only the people who will *never* understand, would argue otherwise, so let's leave that issue alone please, for everyone's sake.

that's all I got to say...

Rest in peace Eric Houts.
Its not a decision, its a disease. I don't think anyone in a level state of mind would ever make such a decision. I think almost everyone out there has had such thoughts at least at one time or another... that's only natural. But to actually go through with it takes a completely unnatural state of mind IMO. I don't think its the "easy way out" by any means, but its also not a sound decision. There are of course exceptions to everything, but it should be made very clear that in most cases suicide is NOT the answer.

-- Ed
Old 05-25-2010, 02:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
Not sure about that one mate, based on being someone that at one point in my life hit pretty much rock bottom these thoughts more than crossed my mind and even in the state I was in at the time (20 years old and into a lot of things I am lucky to have survived) I still didn't have the nads to do it.

I think that the whole depression thing is a swinging pendulum and depending on what happens at which point of it your at can determine what you deem as the best possible solution. For some a string of light hits at the right time and you perhaps realize that asking for help is neither an act of weakness nor a sign of giving up your personal battle, the same goes the other way when your at your lowest point something else kicks you square in the nuts and is enough to tilt you another direction.

Just my thoughts on it.

Mike

I'm right there with you buddy. Just ask my brother some of the calls he received in my past...pretty scary stuff, but I like most didnt have the gonads to do what I thought was the "right" answer at that time and like Mike said, for whatever reason I saw a "different" path at that "particular" moment. It could of easily gone either direction and I'm thankful for my family and friends, and those who have touched my life...

Eric was one of those people who has come into our place of business and became a part of our life. Its too bad he didn't get to live more of his life and I hope he knows how much folks cared and thought about him.

-Noah
Old 05-25-2010, 02:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: WRX, EVO, MSP3
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
Its not a decision, its a disease. I don't think anyone in a level state of mind would ever make such a decision. I think almost everyone out there has had such thoughts at least at one time or another... that's only natural. But to actually go through with it takes a completely unnatural state of mind IMO. There are of course exceptions to everything, but it should be made very clear that in most cases suicide is NOT the answer.

-- Ed
Agreed hence Depression is classified as a mental illness, there is no way anyone suffering from depression is firing on all cylinders obviously some cases more severe than others.

Mike
Old 05-25-2010, 02:55 PM

Car Info: wrx02
I agree with statements that depression is a disease. It's a disease that can do lots of damages if not treated. Brain is a complex organ. If anyone have problems with it like depression it should be treated without receiving judgmental perception. Seriously, if you have problems with your heart you will seek medical help. Samething for the brain.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:57 PM

Car Info: Nadda
I apologize, this isn't a debatable issue on this thread. If you'd like to PM me about anything further than do so, this isn't the thread nor the time to argue about being a human being.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:26 PM

Car Info: Fast
I only met Eric once, and it was on the 12/22/07 drive when he unfortunately ended up putting his STI in the embankment. My friend and I ensured he made it home safe, and I feel like I made a good Suby buddy that day. He gave me a great deal on a set of injectors later, and I followed his build with great enthusiasm...always with my built a step behind

Unfortunately I do not live close enough to have followed up as an actual friend, but I am proud to have been able to meet him and help out when he needed it. Unfortunately I could not do so when it really mattered. But as I continue to visit this thread and ponder these events, I wonder if anyone could have actually made a difference.

Just my thoughts. Hopefully those close to him realize this at some point. We probably do not know what went through his head, and whether their knowing and subsequent actions would have helped. Please do not think I am being negative. This is is just something I have been thinking, and hopefully sharing it will help someone who is harving a hard time with guilt or...

Reading the above discussion between Ed, Mike and Noah, I just wanted to say that discussion is good for understanding. It is not up to me to determine what is or is not appropriate in these situations, but IMO talking about it is a good thing.

RIP Eric. I wish I could have known you better.

Quick Reply: Prayers Needed: RIP Eric Houts (jagstyle)