Powerslide at 80Mph in between freeways?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 11:11 PM

Car Info: 2002 MBP Wrx
Powerslide at 80Mph in between freeways?!?!?!?

So i was driving home from Davis where i went to see a friend and im driving home on I-5 and cruising at 75-80 mph, when i see this red thing start to drift towards me. I am in the fast lane and she is trying to get in my lane, so to avoid getting hit i kinda swerve into the emergerncy lane and not having any room to go back i over correctted or something and all i know is that i was fishtailing and powersliding and 360'ing in between the two directions of freeway. When i finally stop and after i am done pissing on myself, i was about 10 feet away from traffic in the opposite direction. So now my car is Covered with grass and i just dont feel like it drives the same after that. The location of the accident was almost right after turner road.

My question is......... What are the possibilities of damage? i am so pissed/frightented/shocked/angry at the whole situation, so please no Flames this was enitrely incidental and i wasnt being stupid with my car. Any Helpful responses greatly welcomed.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:29 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX, 06 A3
Arrow

First off, Im not flaming but do yourself a HUGE favor. Take a car control course. I suggest skip barbor at Laguna Seca. Honestly its money well spent, who knows it might some day save your life.

Anyways did you make contact with anything? Any ditches or holes or curbs? If not I dont think you did much besides f'd up the alignment. A car out of alignment compared to a car with good alignment can really track horribly.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:30 PM

Car Info: Nissan S14 240sx
Exclamation

well if its not handling the same i'd say check ur alignment at a tire center or something.. if you were swirving and all and spinning.... that can cause alignment headaches to the max

also you were shaken pretty bad :-\

hope nothing else is wrong
Old 02-21-2003, 12:10 AM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
ya i know it's not close, but auto innovations in milpitas will check your alignment for like $50. get that checked out and then follow driftinS14s advice.

either go to a driving school, or find some one who is a good driver and go to a big empty parking lot or an autocross and learn what your car does at the limit of traction and in emergency maneuvers. you could very well end up saving your own life. good luck and feel free to ask any questions.

also, if you remember what kind of car cut you off, make that a separate post and i'm sure the davis area guys will be happy to keep their eyes open for that car. you shouldn't have to pay for the damages caused by another driver.
Old 02-28-2003, 06:48 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: black my03 5mt wrx s/w
is alignment covered under warranty?

my new '03 wagon is pulling a bit to the left. i've got <2k miles on it. anybody know if the dealer will fix under warranty, or is this a "wear and tear" type thing?

tia
ken
Old 02-28-2003, 07:33 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
wash al the mud and dirt and grass off your car, and off your wheels, and underbody...

now go for a drive.

-Gagan
Old 02-28-2003, 09:19 AM

Car Info: 2002 MBP Wrx
i basically just went to a self wash place and Pressure washed the damn thing for the time being. I guess ill take it to Maita in Sac to get checked out sometime next week.
Old 02-28-2003, 10:18 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Lightbulb

Holy blanking ish!
My advice is to take the day off from work/school whatever and do something special like go for a hike or spend time with someone you love. Dude, you're alive and that's frickin' amazing. There are some guardian angels talking to their union rep right now asking for a big fat bonus! lol
Seriously, a similar thing happened to a close friend of my family on Feb 15. She got her Jeep Cherokee off the road a bit, over corrected and rolled a couple of times. She died instantly and was only 17 years old.

Oh, I think Gagan's advice is the best as a first step. If your car was covered with grass, it's very likely you got some mud and such in your wheels which can make the car shimmy. Give her a nice cleaning, including the under carriage and look around for anything obviously wrong. If it still doesn't drive right, go get an alignment from a reputable shop.
Old 02-28-2003, 10:31 AM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
Originally posted by BlingBlingBlue
Holy blanking ish!
My advice is to take the day off from work/school whatever and do something special like go for a hike or spend time with someone you love. Dude, you're alive and that's frickin' amazing. There are some guardian angels talking to their union rep right now asking for a big fat bonus! lol
Seriously, a similar thing happened to a close friend of my family on Feb 15. She got her Jeep Cherokee off the road a bit, over corrected and rolled a couple of times. She died instantly and was only 17 years old.

Oh, I think Gagan's advice is the best as a first step. If your car was covered with grass, it's very likely you got some mud and such in your wheels which can make the car shimmy. Give her a nice cleaning, including the under carriage and look around for anything obviously wrong. If it still doesn't drive right, go get an alignment from a reputable shop.
I'm sorry to hear about your loss. That's just tragic IMHO.

That's why I'm putting a roll cage in every car my kids drive. No joke.
Old 02-28-2003, 11:16 AM

Car Info: 09 E90 M3 SEDAN w/DCT
Originally posted by Steppin Razor

Actually, with a roll cage and no helmet, your chances of being fatally injured in a car crash increase greatly. So, you either shouldn't get a roll cage, of buy some Simpson helmets for the little ones!
Old 02-28-2003, 11:17 AM

Car Info: 09 E90 M3 SEDAN w/DCT
Originally posted by BlingBlingBlue
Holy blanking ish!

Sorry to hear that...SUV's are the devil!
Old 02-28-2003, 11:22 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Originally posted by Steppin Razor

Don't let them drive SUV's. Thanks for your condolences.