Post post zombie apocalypse

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 09:56 AM

Car Info: '06 WRB STi
I believe Land of the Dead is a post-post zombie apocalypse movie.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:02 AM

Car Info: 06 WRX, 04 FXT, 02 Forester L, 95 JDM LGT
The Road. book and movie
Old 03-27-2012, 09:07 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Not post zombie but...

The Union Creek Journal

also for a GREAT ZA story...

Adrian's Undead Diary Journal Home

note that adrians is over now, the writer just ended the story, but it will take you a few days to read thru it all if your a fast reader, a few weeks if your slow, its almost 3 years worth of it.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:56 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

Originally Posted by Jodice112
I believe Land of the Dead is a post-post zombie apocalypse movie.
horrible horrible movie.

why george romero attached his name to this flick is beyond me...
Old 03-27-2012, 11:58 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

Originally Posted by rallied out wrx
The Road. book and movie
only saw the movie.

movie never really dealt what the event was that caused everything...

but i'm pretty sure it wasnt a zombie apocalypse.

same with THE BOOK OF ELI... another end of the world movie but doesnt say what happened.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:13 AM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

Talking

Originally Posted by hloh
Yea I believe thats the ending to 28 days later. There's a 28 weeks later as well. Check out the trailer on youtube
both of the "28 [days|weeks] later" are not what I WOULD call a true zombie flick.

if you recall early in the "28 days later" that the cause of the whole thing was when animal terrorist group broke into a research facility to release some monkeys.

one of the monkeys bit one of the terrorist and immediately went nuts.

so technically, they are still living humans. they are just infected with the RAGE (IIRC) virus.

same thing with the RESIDENT EVIL flicks. they are what i would call a hybrid. living humans are infected with the T-virus. like the "28 [days|weeks] later" movies, there is claims that an anti-virus could be made to make all of the infected living humans back to normal.

the hybrid is that people do die in the RE movies and they are reanimated some how.

one thing to consider in the GEORGE ROMERO world, one does not have to be bitten in order to be turned. one just needs to die or be dead already.

somehow, an event happened.

remember the original DAWN OF THE DEAD? we see people rising from the graves as zombies.

in that movie, one thing i remember hearing was people was talking about "hell is full" and they have no where to go.

in the season 2 finale of THE WALKING DEAD, they explained that the CDC guy in season 1 told rick, the sheriff; that we are all now infected by something. that would seem to explain to how shane turned right in front of us, after he died with a stab wound by rick.

personally, i have been working on this script/treatment where the event that caused this zombie apocalypse is due to space aliens.

they came to earth to take over. but since they are low in numbers, they need something to help them kill all humans.

they spread this "thing" that would turn dead humans into zombies.

it's going to be bigger than the TWILIGHT and THE HUNGER GAMES combined...

Old 03-28-2012, 12:29 AM
jic

Car Info: 98 2.5rs/94 rx7/04 mazda6/06 audi s4/12 GT-R
Originally Posted by ldivinag
personally, i have been working on this script/treatment where the event that caused this zombie apocalypse is due to space aliens.

they came to earth to take over. but since they are low in numbers, they need something to help them kill all humans.

they spread this "thing" that would turn dead humans into zombies.

it's going to be bigger than the TWILIGHT and THE HUNGER GAMES combined...

neat idea..but zombies and aliens doesnt seem to mesh too well.
the idea from the crazies i thought was good. contaminated water from plane crash and govt. plannin to nuke the small town. not apocalyptic, but a good plot
Old 03-28-2012, 10:02 AM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Adrian's Undead Diary Journal Home

Yeah, I've been following Adrian's for a year to the end. It had it's ups and downs but enjoyable.

It somewhat touches on what I was thinking, like how in the later days Bastion was fully walled up, as the gated community. But they hadn't gotten past surviving just for the next few weeks. They had no idea how they would survive another winter.

I enjoyed the movie Book of Eli for it's universe. I think it fell apart with the antagonists fixation on the book, though.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:15 AM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
That's kinda like "Night of the Living Dead" when a passing comet reanimated the dead.

In the Mass Effect series they have "Husks" which are basically zombies that the Reapers made from human bodies
Old 07-19-2013, 05:15 PM

So I'm on my 2nd play through of Last of Us (PS3 game). Fricken awesome. It takes place 20 years after the "infection" incident. Technically, LoU is not a zombie game, as the "monsters" are alive but infected. However, the effect is the same as the zombie apocalypse. What's interesting is that it's 20 years into the future and man really hasn't progressed very far past the initial collapse. This is a nod to the devastating and ongoing effect the cordycepts have had.

So here's my view of mankind: I think man is pretty adaptable and given 20 years, societies would have been much more rebuilt than LoU portrays (or any other zombie "long after" the initial incidents). Even with large scale global devastation, even with a collapse of society and government; I surmise that many small, but secure settlements would have been established and flourished in that time frame. One example: the midieval ages of Europe.

What we usually see in LoU, or Walking Dead, etc are make shift fortresses, and a lot of "every man for themselves" factions, etc. I agree that this will happen in the first several years, but it can't last long term. Humankind... at the least the rational side... would find a more effective way of surviving and thriving.

Of course a lot of young macho gangs would would be pillaging and taking advantage of the weaker, but long term... even 10 years later, they will realize that is all a short term solution. They may survive... but only for the duration of the their lifespan. And then what? They all die old men?

If ever you want to understand long term thinking... become a parent and raise your children.

For those societies that would fall into medieval times, they'd be ripe for an invasive take over by some country who knew how to keep a strong society in the event of disaster. Ala Japan's handling of their crisis. Like Lord of the Flies end of the book.

Anyways... so far I have not yet come across a post-post Z story that explores it like this; and I think it's a sub-genre that could be very interesting. In a way, this mimics what many historical societies dealt with: a constant threat that could never be fully eliminated, but could be adequately defended against.

So if anyone knows any fiction in the subgenre I'm talking about, let me know (books/movies/games/etc)

Last edited by chimchimm5; 07-19-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:21 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
The White Flag of the Dead series spans the beginning to a point where they've had kids that are now the ones fighting the fight... something like 18-20 years.

I loved it.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
The White Flag of the Dead series spans the beginning to a point where they've had kids that are now the ones fighting the fight... something like 18-20 years.

I loved it.
Is it more about humans or a gore fest?
Old 07-19-2013, 08:28 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by chimchimm5
Is it more about humans or a gore fest?
It's a little of both. It's starts off trying to fight off the initial outbreak, then they start building society back. There are other bad guys that come up and they encounter zombies along the way, but as the story progresses it gets less about the zombies. It's a really good story. He continued the story with a new series set 20 years further out. He's only one book into it at the moment, but it's a good series.

Joseph Talluto is the author.

Also look into the series, The Remaining. It's not zombies, they are infected with the Fury virus. 4 books so far, they start a little gruesome, but they are also trying to rebuild a society, dealing with scumbags and some infected. It's an interesting twist on the typical zombie book.

Also a series by James Cook, Surviving the Dead. It's mostly about trying to survive and live and recreate society after the collapse.