Post a *PIC* of your latest purchase..

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 11:20 PM

Car Info: 2 feet
Originally Posted by Lurk
Any particular reason why you installed the KX3 on your carbine, other than for ****s & giggles?

FYI, the KX3/Firepig was meant for short barrel uppers. Not carbine length...
Odd. A 7" gas system could use a booster regardless of bullet dwell time. Added mass at the muzzle will increase likelihood of excess over-swing.but Also help to keep the muzzle down. But hey, it's only for Sbr's. Oh and most Sbr's still use a 7in gas system.

But hey, what do i know about guns?
Old 11-14-2011, 11:36 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Originally Posted by CSeaBass
Odd. A 7" gas system could use a booster regardless of bullet dwell time. Added mass at the muzzle will increase likelihood of excess over-swing.but Also help to keep the muzzle down. But hey, it's only for Sbr's. Oh and most Sbr's still use a 7in gas system.

But hey, what do i know about guns?
Seeing as how most commercial (Bushmaster, RRA, etc) 16" barreled, carbine length gas tube uppers are overgassed from the factory in order to make them run weaker pressure commercial ammo. The KX3 does nothing to increase performance on those weapons. Conjointly, I've never heard of a milspec (Colt, DD, BCM) 14.5"-16" carbine gas upper needing a "booster" to run properly.

Putting the KX3 on a 16" barrel would make the overall length of the barrel 18.75" (that's almost 19"). If you put 1/2 lbs on the end of a 16" barrel and on the end of a 10.5" - 12.5" barrel, you will notice the weight a lot more on the 16" barrel (the weight is further away from the center of balance).

I can think of a couple of better ways to keep the muzzle down and mitigate recoil. 1.) Work out that upper body more. 2.) Get a KAC Triple Tap or Battlecomp.

Last edited by Lurk; 11-14-2011 at 11:41 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:57 PM

Car Info: 2013 BRZ
Originally Posted by AlanarchySTI
Not really a purchase, but regular freebie.

I'll be there too! BRZ unveiling at 3:40... I think.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:24 AM

Seeing as how most commercial (Bushmaster, RRA, etc) 16" barreled, carbine length gas tube uppers are overgassed from the factory in order to make them run weaker pressure commercial ammo. The KX3 does nothing to increase performance on those weapons. Conjointly, I've never heard of a milspec (Colt, DD, BCM) 14.5"-16" carbine gas upper needing a "booster" to run properly.

Putting the KX3 on a 16" barrel would make the overall length of the barrel 18.75" (that's almost 19"). If you put 1/2 lbs on the end of a 16" barrel and on the end of a 10.5" - 12.5" barrel, you will notice the weight a lot more on the 16" barrel (the weight is further away from the center of balance).

I can think of a couple of better ways to keep the muzzle down and mitigate recoil. 1.) Work out that upper body more. 2.) Get a KAC Triple Tap or Battlecomp.
yeah, show me how many people not in a damned magpul video run a tripple tap... battle comps, good product, but over priced. original pricing was great.

as for most uppers being over gassed, ill argue that every day of the week. **** there isnt a month that goes by that i dont send a major brand upper back for being under gassed.(or fix it)

im not claiming the kx3 is the choice i would make either, but im also not gonna be a dick and imply the shooters choices are wrong.

nice rifle, if you happy with it. go for it.

as for the rifle up top with the free lock installed. those pics were taken out of state right wouldnt want anyone getting in trouble for posting a pic. which has happened in CA... i was called in as a witness for the defense in that case:/
Old 11-15-2011, 12:42 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX, 2015 Murano, 2017 NGM Camaro SS
Originally Posted by onboostsubie
I'll be there too! BRZ unveiling at 3:40... I think.
Nice! Looking forward to it. I hope Subaru gives us champagne like they did last year.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:29 AM

yeah, show me how many people not in a damned magpul video run a tripple tap... battle comps, good product, but over priced. original pricing was great.

as for most uppers being over gassed, ill argue that every day of the week. **** there isnt a month that goes by that i dont send a major brand upper back for being under gassed.(or fix it)
Lots of people, including myself run Battlecomps these days. I agree that while the KAC Triple Tap is a very effective muzzle device, at $400+ it is a bit overpriced. The Battlecomp is 95% as effective as the KAC but costs 1/3 as much.

I'm curious as to which "major brand uppers" you've come across that needed to be sent back. Did you measure and record the gas port size? When I installed a low pro gas block on a friend's Bushmaster M4, the port diameter measured .079" (overgassed). The proper spec for a carbine length gas system port diameter, according to the TDP is .062". Colt does .071" for the 10.3" CQBR's, because they need a little more pressure to cycle.

BTW, I hope you tried running different buffers/springs to balance the cycling first, before you started drilling the gas port as that is usually a last resort.

Last edited by Lurk; 11-15-2011 at 02:33 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:59 AM

Lots of people, including myself run Battlecomps these days. I agree that while the KAC Triple Tap is a very effective muzzle device, at $400+ it is a bit overpriced. The Battlecomp is 95% as effective as the KAC but costs 1/3 as much.

I'm curious as to which "major brand uppers" you've come across that needed to be sent back. Did you measure and record the gas port size? When I installed a low pro gas block on a friend's Bushmaster M4, the port diameter measured .079" (overgassed). The proper spec for a carbine length gas system port diameter, according to the TDP is .062". Colt does .071" for the 10.3" CQBR's, because they need a little more pressure to cycle.

BTW, I hope you tried running different buffers/springs to balance the cycling first, before you started drilling the gas port as that is usually a last resort.
I won't void a customers warranty unless a company ****s them.(insert shrubmaster here) hitting the gasport would be one of the last options i would agree. That said reprinting/swapping buffer weights shouldn't be a requirement either. The beauty of the spec system implies there's a standard(which nobody, including colt) always follows.
Generally a company will increase the size of the port to hide other follies in assembly/qc.

Oh as for brands. 2 Daniels this week. There's more.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:43 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Old 11-15-2011, 08:04 PM

I won't void a customers warranty unless a company ****s them.(insert shrubmaster here) hitting the gasport would be one of the last options i would agree. That said reprinting/swapping buffer weights shouldn't be a requirement either. The beauty of the spec system implies there's a standard(which nobody, including colt) always follows.
Generally a company will increase the size of the port to hide other follies in assembly/qc.

Oh as for brands. 2 Daniels this week. There's more.
Any competent armorer should have a variety of buffers and springs at any given time. Swapping in a different buffer to compensate for gas port erosion on high round count weapons is perfectly acceptable. You'll see that referenced in the M16/M4 armorer's manual.

I take it you work at a gun shop. Out of curiosity, which brands of uppers/rifles have you had to send back the most for warranty/QC issues? And which brands have the least problems and are GTG from what you've seen?
Old 11-16-2011, 07:26 AM

Car Info: 04 WRX Wagon, 06 Forester XT, 99 Legacy Sedan
Finally found a PERFECT STi hood scoop in WRB for an amazing price... Even better, it came with the foglight covers too!!!!!

The widebody wagon is getting closer!!! Just need two 04/05 WRB fenders and I can put the front end on.

IMAG0598.jpg?t=1321455096

Last edited by Harry Maneuvers; 11-16-2011 at 07:29 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:01 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
That hoodscoop looks more like BRP than WRB.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:00 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: AWD & RWD JDM
Originally Posted by 04GG
NICE!
edit:

preliminary thoughts from my first minutes of use:

- have an L hand, so it fits perfectly between my fingers, almost resting in the palm

- size seems small at first until you hold it in your hand, the weight feels a little heavy but not obtrusively so

- speakers are at the top, which is good - but the power button and power and headset plugs are on the bottom (not so good to me)

- the screen looks like it has a provision for a front-facing camera, but there isn't one

- screen definitely needs a protector - very visible fingerprints and smudges

- all my books were pre-loaded (for download), but my music and video (purchased from Amazon) were not

- surfing seems good, but haven't done it extensively - facebook is the mobile version, although google is the classic one

- 2-finger zoom in/out on web pages - books zoom like in the Kindle app

- can't change the wallpaper from what I can ascertain, it changes on its own

- 6.5 GB of storage was initially available

- no USB<>micro USB cable included (which I didn't care about since I had my Motorola ones)

Last edited by herrjr; 11-16-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:22 PM

Any competent armorer should have a variety of buffers and springs at any given time. Swapping in a different buffer to compensate for gas port erosion on high round count weapons is perfectly acceptable. You'll see that referenced in the M16/M4 armorer's manual.

I take it you work at a gun shop. Out of curiosity, which brands of uppers/rifles have you had to send back the most for warranty/QC issues? And which brands have the least problems and are GTG from what you've seen?

bushmaster would take the cake.
that said, at one point in time colt. in terms of auto guns we(previous emplyers) mostly dealt with colt, so those were it. did send back an 416 demo gun with issues from HK.

with that said, for CA guns, if they sell a complete gun ive serviced or sent it in. including high end makes like noveske.

one thing i will point out, everything can/will fail at one point. its how the MFU will deal with it. if the MFU says FU to a cust. i fix it. as for GTG, most MFUs are. stay away from bottom tier MFUs. i still tend to build my own guns, including my uppers. from parts i spec, sometimes complete barrels, sometimes from blanks... just depends.

i work in the retail end now(much more entertaining),i have also worked for an 07 w/ sot.

im working on bringing a new line of barrels to makret which will be overkill for 99.9% of the market. (everyone has to have the toughest product around, or so they think)
Old 11-16-2011, 04:03 PM

Car Info: 04 WRX Wagon, 06 Forester XT, 99 Legacy Sedan
Originally Posted by bluwrxwgn
That hoodscoop looks more like BRP than WRB.
It definitely is not...
Old 11-16-2011, 05:35 PM

Car Info: 2006 sti
picked up my 3 lowers today and bought 3 more,followed by

-eotech 511-real,not a knockoff
-phase 5 muzzle break
-phase 5 BAD lever
-handfull of TDS detents,springs and such
-ergo grip
-GG&G riser
-ordered 2 black rain uppers
-ordered 20" lother walther barrel for .223 wylde
-ordered 13.5" barrel

Name:  2011-11-16172226.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  60.8 KB

Quick Reply: Post a *PIC* of your latest purchase..