Popped a CEL

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 11:38 AM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
Popped a CEL

Driving home Friday night on the Bridge I went to pass the car in front of me. I hit the gas and then it felt like I hit a wall. The car seemed to stumble for a sec and then it seemed like it returned to normal and drove fine, but it popped a CEL. Now it was quite cold out that night, but my car has been running this same setup for quite some time now (several months) and I have never had this issue before. I am also running on Chevron Supreme Unleaded gas so I am not really suspecting the gas being bad at this point.

Car: 2003 WRX
Mileage: 127K+
Mods: PDE Flex Up-Pipe, Helix Catted Down-Pipe, AP OTS Stage 2 Map for CA gas, Kartboy Lightweight Pulley, Flex Innovations Grounding Kit, Crucial Racing 160 Degree Thermostat and various others that probably don't affect the power.

I just got finished checking the CEL with the Accessport and this is what I found.

With Green Connectors Connected
P0500 - Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) not working properly
P1518 - Start Switch Circuit Low Input
P1590 - Neutral Position Circuit Switch High Input
P0131 - o2 Sensor Low Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0132 - o2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

The p0500 seems to be the active code when you have the Green Connectors connected together and pulling the codes. That's an easy fix as you just remove the two green connectors.

P1518 & P1590 I am still trying to figure out exactly what these 2 codes are related to and what is causing these.

P0131 & P0132 seem to be related to the Front o2 Sensor. Is this being triggered because of the Up-Pipe or does this mean I should probably consider replacing the Front o2 Sensor at some point?

Without Green Connectors Connected
P0244 - Wastegate Control Solenoid Valve Malfunction (High Input)

This code appears to be for Overboosting. I haven't heard of the stock TD04 overboosting on a 2003 (or any 2.0 liter) WRX before. How do I fix this? Should I just reset the ECU to clear the code or is there something else I should be looking at doing with this? Also am I okay to drive the car right now or is this something where I should not be driving (I drive about 250 miles a week just back and forth to work).

Also, I have my ABS light on, but I suspect that is on because I am really low on my brake pads. I have all the components to replace my brakes, but it is not going to be until Sunday that I will be able to have them replaced at this point. Hopefully that will clear the ABS light. If not, then I am not sure why else this particular light is on. Does it come on when you reach a certain minimum spec on the brake pads?
Old 11-02-2009, 02:11 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Update:

I just went to the gas station and filled up. Now the CEL is shut off. Was this possibly a poor seal on the gas tank that caused the car to overboost?
Old 11-02-2009, 02:50 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
You don't need to have the green connectors connected to check for CEL codes. The only relavant code is the P0244. This just means you encountered an overboost condition that the ECU could not correct quickly enough. To protect the engine, the ECU cuts fuel in this situation. This is especially common in colder weather when the turbo wants to make more boost and the ECU may not be set up to handle it properly.

This just means that the Cobb OTS map is not tuned properly for your setup and you should plan on getting a custom tune to avoid such issues.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 11-02-2009, 04:34 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Cool thanks Ed.

I am planning on coming up to see you when I get some money saved up so I can have you do a custom tune on my setup.