Please support UFO AutoX in SFR by attending!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 05:58 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Originally Posted by vietnameeh
eh.. that body roll is normal that turn was incredibly sharp considering how fast everyone was going thru the slalom....

u can see my car in the background LOL
Geez, it looks like I'm sitting on my bumpstops...
Old 08-14-2006, 08:41 PM

Car Info: 04 STi & an autox Lemming
get whiteline 27mm front sway bar instead. the bigger the better.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by wm07
get whiteline 27mm front sway bar instead. the bigger the better.
I wanted to, but I have a wagon, and the Whiteline front bars are sedan/wagon specific. The 22mm adj is the largest available whiteline front bar for the wagon.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:33 PM

Car Info: WR Blue Wagon
Originally Posted by 06WRX4ME
Didn't you have "steering" issues according to the tech?
That was me.. I didn't leave the keys in it so the steering was locked when he teched it and he thought maybe it felt funny. He checked it again once I was there and all was good.

Also, so far good news for the WRX that was wrecked on Saturday. Peggy and Dennis seem to be calling in all kinds of favors for getting it fixed. I've gotta arrange with Peggy how to get the car delivered to the shop, but she's got all kinds of experts willing to help, which is just awesome.

Told ya they were good people
Old 08-14-2006, 09:58 PM

Car Info: vtak mota
ya but u should hear what the mazda guy is tryna do to them
Old 08-14-2006, 10:47 PM

ya but u should hear what the mazda guy is tryna do to them
If he's trying to take advantage of them trying to make it right, then he should be punched in the neck. But I don't know what he's doing or trying to do or what they are doing about his car. If it's just a rumor, then save it.

I talked to Peggy myself, and this is the information I got directly from her. I had dinner with Michael tonight, the driver of the WRX, and he backed it all up and is very pleased with the way they are handling it. UFO seems to be doing everything possible to make this right.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:07 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by Racenut
I was out there yesterday. And I'm a friend of MCDrama.. and of Michael in the wreck WRX. Dennis said it was the first time in 20 years he had ever had something like this happen.

I'm supporting UFO as best I can. Dennis and Peggy are stand up people and are doing this for all the RIGHT reasons. It's not about egos and money, but about having fun and maybe learning a bit about your car. They're putting on a clinic at the end of next month and I'm hoping to be able to go.

It would be a shame to see UFO go away as I've always avoided autox due to some of the attitudes and bs I've seen associated with other events. These guys are keeping it fun.
bull****. Dennis fails to tell you why NASA bowed out of autox in our region, and from what I hear it was for safety reasons. With this accident, he may lose ufo autox as well. There was near miss accident at marina with his NASA autox like 6+ years ago i'm told where an integra and some other car nearly hit at full race speeds (one driver seeing the other hit the brakes, and stopped inches from the path of the car whizzing by he bumper a second later)

-Gagan
Old 08-17-2006, 07:29 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by chimchimm5
Actually, I started with 38psi cold (front). After the first runs, I was up to 40.5 psi. At this pressure, I was still rolling over to the sidewall. I pumped in to 42 psi and that seemed to help a lot.

My rears had 36 psi cold and they didn't seem to have a problem (of course).

My car is stock stock stock from the dealer (I wanted it that way to see just what a totally stock car is like in autox), save for my kosei 17x7's with Goodyear F1's (all stock size). As a result of this suck... I mean stock set up, I *think* it *looks* like my front tires have positive camber.

I had been waiting for this event to pass before going with these plans:
- professional alignment with -1 static camber in the front.
- whiteline 22mm adjustable front sway bar and Kartboy endlinks
- whiteline 22mm adjustable rear sway bar and Kartboy endlinks
- whiteline rear strut tower bar (and quickreleases) for my wagon-dad-mobile

I'm holding off on the springs for now as I have kid #2 due next week... and this car is #1 my commuter, #2 my secondary family car, and then #3 my fun car. Eventually, I'll probably go with STi wagon pinks on Koni's... or if I can figure out is the Crucial bias towards the front doesn't have a huge effect on front/rear weight bias.
simply entering the turn too fast is why your car looks the way it does in that picture. Focus on driving smoother, and it may take 4-5 autoxes, but eventually you'll get faster. trust me on this one.

-Gagan
Old 08-17-2006, 08:38 AM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
+1 on slow in fast out
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
simply entering the turn too fast is why your car looks the way it does in that picture. Focus on driving smoother, and it may take 4-5 autoxes, but eventually you'll get faster. trust me on this one.

-Gagan
Old 08-17-2006, 09:22 AM

Car Info: 2002MY Impreza WRX
I wanted to, but I have a wagon, and the Whiteline front bars are sedan/wagon specific. The 22mm adj is the largest available whiteline front bar for the wagon.
Go to nasioc's suspensions forum. There are people who have fit the 27 mm adj. fsb from whiteline by using pillowballed endlinks like those from whiteline, poltec and perrin.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:36 AM

I like the Cobb sway bars I have on my wagon.

And Gagan, I don't know anything about that as I've only been doing it for a few months. Without knowing the circumstances of a close call 6 years ago, I don't know how it could relate to what happened last weekend. Seems kinda rash for a close call to be the reason NASA would just pull the plug? Sounds like maybe they were looking for a reason? Couldn't be politics at work... that would be crazy
Old 08-17-2006, 11:02 AM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
bull****. Dennis fails to tell you why NASA bowed out of autox in our region, and from what I hear it was for safety reasons. With this accident, he may lose ufo autox as well. There was near miss accident at marina with his NASA autox like 6+ years ago i'm told where an integra and some other car nearly hit at full race speeds (one driver seeing the other hit the brakes, and stopped inches from the path of the car whizzing by he bumper a second later)

-Gagan
You sound very passionate Gagan. So what is different between SCCA events vs. UFO events that makes SCCA events safer? Is it course lay out? Is it the staff workers? Is it the attendees?
I really like UFO for the people running the event and low cost. What I am getting a bit tired of though are the ****ing drift kids, and idiots that go to try and show off.
I go to have fun and to try and improve my driving skills in a safe environment.
this last event didn't have enough support from experienced people, or people that care about others safety.

I am going to try and attend the next SCCA event to see how that goes, not sure when or where it is though, I will go look.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:20 AM

-Gagan
Yeah, I should have said that first. As for the smooth part, definitely I can be smoother, but I have been practicing being smooth whenever I'm in the car. From an engineering standpoint, I always try to avoid the spikey force overshoots.

I was definitely going in hotter than I should have. If I understand it correctly though, your entry speed has a lot to do with how much front traction you have. Since it was my first autox, and first time taking my car to the edge, I didn't know really where that limit was. So, with better traction (which I believe camber would help), corner entry could be faster right?

In that picture, I remember coming out of the last slalom corner and getting on the brakes really hard as I straightened up. I was trying to go wide left to set up for this turn but there wasn't enough room so I settled for braking hard and having to take an early apex at that cone in the pic. That meant wide exit, and hard turn to get around to the last corner to the finish and the tire rollover of that pic... definitely NOT my original plan.

I try very hard not to "flick" my car; and "soft landing" the body roll into the set of the turn, with focus on NOT over shooting with the body roll. I remember my early engineering classes and the force plate we measured the dynamics of someone jumping on. I understand that traction limits are quickly exceeded, even if just briefly, by these force spikes.

Anyways, thanks for the response.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:16 PM

Car Info: vtak mota
Originally Posted by mcdrama
You sound very passionate Gagan. So what is different between SCCA events vs. UFO events that makes SCCA events safer? Is it course lay out? Is it the staff workers? Is it the attendees?
I really like UFO for the people running the event and low cost. What I am getting a bit tired of though are the ****ing drift kids, and idiots that go to try and show off.
I go to have fun and to try and improve my driving skills in a safe environment.
this last event didn't have enough support from experienced people, or people that care about others safety.

I am going to try and attend the next SCCA event to see how that goes, not sure when or where it is though, I will go look.
mcdrama your more then welcome to come to the next event monsterpark as my guest... unless ur a member already... but let me know ... as i may have a buddy that wants to go

as for UFO... dennis gave a place for the drifters to drift.. which i respect alot..and its fun watching... but u definitely get more for the money with UFO...
i liek scca as its fun watching alot of the experienced drivers out there puttign down killer times and they are more than helpful with talkign about setups and what to do on course..

Last edited by vietnameeh; 08-17-2006 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:36 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
mcdrama your more then welcome to come to the next event monsterpark as my guest... unless ur a member already... but let me know ... as i may have a buddy that wants to go

as for UFO... dennis gave a place for the drifters to drift.. which i respect alot..and its fun watching... but u definitely get more for the money with UFO...
i liek scca as its fun watching alot of the experienced drivers out there puttign down killer times and they are more than helpful with talkign about setups and what to do on course..

I do have an SCCA license so I can go. What does it cost to drive though?

Quick Reply: Please support UFO AutoX in SFR by attending!