Please support UFO AutoX in SFR by attending!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 12:03 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
Red face

I was there but finished and left just before the accident. RUnning 3 cars on the track is nice because there is much less waiting for your turn, and much more chance of having time for fun runs. They've run hundreds of events and this is the 1st time there's been a large accident.

I've been to a couple of SCCA events and I felt the track at this UFO event was better. It was a faster track than the SCCA tracks I've been to. Also, there was lots of parking, a less-hectic double-grid system, clean porta-potties with water/soap/towels...and they had course maps and numbers and the usual things you'd expect.

I like the ambiance of the Marina airfield. Cooler coastal weather, airplanes taking off, parachuters landing nearby.

And you don't have to pay the outrageous $70(?) SCCA membership (and what do you get? a pretty boring magazine, a few bucks off each AutoX, and the 'right' to participate in the Bay Area events)...$30 and no additional fee...perfect for someone like me who only has time to autocross at MOST twice a year.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:23 AM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Originally Posted by vietnameeh
iwas there both weekends... i support dennis and peggy as they are the nicest people in the world....

yesterdays accident was due to lots of thigns going wrong... people (noobs) did not come in to work... so inexperienced people were taking important jobs such as starter... and lots of miscommunication was going on.

everyone is fine that as involved.. which is good...

today was pretty good alot of subies haha

PS: i was the slow black ricer honda on red rims :|
Was the starter a noob?

BTW, I watched your civic run around. I used to have an EX in that generation, and civics are near to my heart. Besides the red rims (which were clearly the lighweight competition rims), I didn't really see what was ricey about your car. There were MUCH ricier cars at the event, and they didn't run before 1 pm, so I'm guessing they entered the stock classes.

You had it set up well enough that your rear inside tire would stop spinning as you trail braked into the turns. How is your car setup?
Old 08-14-2006, 12:34 AM

Car Info: vtak mota
haha thx... my setup is ok haha i think... ooo i wish i had an EX but i have a DX :| FTW! lol 80 hp ftw! fun though which car were you?
Old 08-14-2006, 01:04 AM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
haha thx... my setup is ok haha i think... ooo i wish i had an EX but i have a DX :| FTW! lol 80 hp ftw! fun though which car were you?
I was the WRX wagon.

Yours was a DX? Is it modified in anyway? What times did you get?

My fastest was something like 66.1 seconds during the real runs. I figured out later I was rolling over the sidewall and pumped in 2 psi more which helped, allowing me to get to 64.5. But I kept getting lost in the sea of cones... I'm such a newbie.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:20 AM
ZK

Car Info: 08 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 10
Last I checked SCCA membership was $110. Also the SFR Solo2 events are way over crowded. I used to run the Sac region regularly and it is a lot better than the SFR ones. More organized and more time on track as well as fun runs. Of course, there's less cars too.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by ZK
Last I checked SCCA membership was $110.
I'm not sure which membership you were looking at. I just renewed and I'm 99% certain it was $85. I can check this evening.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by 2cam16
I'm not sure if youre talking about attitudes and BS at SCCA events, but I've never seen nor experienced any of it.
I heard that the SFR region had political issues if you were involved in the running and management of the events, but I have never experienced any problems as a regular entrant.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by chimchimm5
I was the WRX wagon.

Yours was a DX? Is it modified in anyway? What times did you get?

My fastest was something like 66.1 seconds during the real runs. I figured out later I was rolling over the sidewall and pumped in 2 psi more which helped, allowing me to get to 64.5. But I kept getting lost in the sea of cones... I'm such a newbie.
its still a DX w/ bolt ons (82whp!) and just suspension...i run in FSP for scca and i guess UFO but alot of people dont run in the right class but whatever...

my fastest run was 60.542 or some crap like that ... my tires are holding me back i need me some azenis or i mite just finally get some r compounds so i can give the sfr fsp guys a run for their money
Old 08-14-2006, 12:12 PM

Car Info: BugeyeSTi
Yeah i definatley needs some better tires as well. Stickier! I was understeering for days! I was the blue STi in the last group that ran with pretty much all the other subies.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:52 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2008 EVO X/1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R32
Originally Posted by ShadowSTi
Yeah i definatley needs some better tires as well. Stickier! I was understeering for days! I was the blue STi in the last group that ran with pretty much all the other subies.

To much power is why you were having a hard time. I think that was happening to me, but not as bad as you.
I had a great time and am a n00b so I will get better. best time was 64.2 in a White 06 WRX TR, TBE, Stage 2.

The one question I have is why the hell was there an intersection on the course? I dont care how far apart you start the cars, an intersection means that there is a huge chance of an accident. It just seems dumb to me.
I will be going to more events and that does not change my mind on anything, just more of a question is all.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:12 PM

its not really power, i just need to know how to control my car better. its a whole new experiance driving in the auto-x. my best time was 63.5 that was my first run, and the times just got worse from there.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:27 PM

welll u guys automatically will understeer or PUSH thru turns because of the AWD power haha

the blue sti that kept backfiring? and was making tons of noise...?

ya i would get tires if u guys wanna go faster...

i was hoping to break 60 but it jus wasnt happening not enough grip and slow *** car and i suk at driving
Old 08-14-2006, 01:32 PM

the blue sti that kept backfiring? and was making tons of noise...?
yup that was me!
Old 08-14-2006, 01:42 PM

Car Info: WR Blue Wagon
Originally Posted by 06WRX4ME
White 06 WRX TR, TBE, Stage 2.

The one question I have is why the hell was there an intersection on the course? I dont care how far apart you start the cars, an intersection means that there is a huge chance of an accident. It just seems dumb to me.
I will be going to more events and that does not change my mind on anything, just more of a question is all.
Ha.. Hi.. I was the guy in the blue bugeye wagon you were talkin to

That was only my third time out, and was the first time I had seen a crossover like that. I'm thinking we won't be seeing that again anytime soon.

I'm going to do the clinic on Sept 30th too. Sounds like fun and I might even LEARN something. My best was a 60.0, I really wanted to see a 59.x... 59.999 would have made me happy haha. But I think I was actually the quickest Subie in that group, so I can't complain
Old 08-14-2006, 01:51 PM

quickest subie... or quickest in class?

sweet 60 flat nice

Quick Reply: Please support UFO AutoX in SFR by attending!