Please support UFO AutoX in SFR by attending!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 09:12 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Please support UFO AutoX in SFR by attending!

Hi, I just went to my first autox event and had a blast.

The sad thing is, the norcal chapter of UFO (formerly NASA) autox is in a dire state. They were caught with a bum deal on insurance for some clubs that don't support UFO anymore and participation is dwindling. They are losing money, and if this doesn't change, they will cease to exist.

The wonderful couple who've been taking car of SFR chapter has been doing this for 8 years and it only exists due to their generocity. Apparently, UFO used to be NorCal NASA, but since NASA has been persuing merging with SCCA (and costs are beyond what the norcal chapter can afford), they had to go independent.

Please support this "mom and pop" like autox!

http://www.norcalufo.org/

Last edited by chimchimm5; 08-14-2006 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:24 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: 2018 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel EOC Stage 1
UFO..... isnt this the one thats in Marina?
Old 08-12-2006, 10:38 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
I don't support nasa... UFO asscociated with NASA at all? Come to Golden Gate Fields tomorrow, and I'll show you a real autoX.

I'd love to go to UFO events for the seat time, but i'm ususally busy on dates other than the SCCA events.

-Gagan
Old 08-12-2006, 11:14 PM

Car Info: 04 STi & an autox Lemming
so there was an accident on Saturday, and a WRB WRX was involved?

Dennis and Peggy are good people and their events are always lots of fun and provide lots of seat time. The incident does not help the organization at all...
Old 08-12-2006, 11:42 PM

UFO used to be with NASA, not anymore.

There was an accident? I left by 1 pm so if it happened, it happened after then. Any info?

It doesn't matter that other autox are considered "real". UFO seems to be an honest local autox group that's just tryiing to do it's best. It would be a shame if it went away.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:25 AM

Aww crap... I got this off norcalevo.net:

Dude, I just came back from marina. the very first car and the second car of the last group wrecked bad. The starter started the second car too early and at the cross over, those cars hit each other. I don't think no one was seriously inujured but I think two guys were taken to the hospital by the ambulances. The firts car, Mazda MX-6 was totaled and the second car, blue wrx was closed to total. The starter just left the scene right after the accident. I'm sure he was just scared.
It was just so sad.
I think people were re-arranging the course so they would probably have one tomorrow but not 100% sure.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:31 AM

Car Info: a prius, a miata, & 2 m3's
Ouch... timed event=no insurance.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:41 AM

Car Info: '01 Forester S
Exclamation

And THAT'S why I support the SCCA. All the years I've been attending/racing, I've NEVER seen an accident like that happen.
Sorry to hear about the drivers and their cars, but it was probably some rookie working as starter. Brain fart ? Maybe. But it's a brainless job. You have a certain spot on the track you mark with your eyesight, once a car passes that spot, bam, start the next.
And he ran away ? SHEESH ! Way to go.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:29 AM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
I am not up to par on the details, but it was my friend Michael in the WRX. He is OK thank God.
His WRX actually looks like it can be fixed, where as the mx-6 is totaled for sure.

I have attended every single UFO event so far this year, and the people are awesome! The event is run very well IMHO, they are not NASA fans at all. Anyways.
It would be great to see more people show up to the UFO auto-x events, even if it is just for seat time, everyone is there to have fun. Isn't that what it's about?

The only bad thing I can say about the events is that they let drift cars on the track. They are the ones that get "out of control"(isn't that what t3h c00l dorifto is bout y0?!) and act like fools.

Anyways, this is the first time I have heard of anything like this happening at a UFO event.

I hope to see some of you out there today. I am running in the afternoon.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:32 AM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
Originally Posted by 2cam16
And THAT'S why I support the SCCA. All the years I've been attending/racing, I've NEVER seen an accident like that happen.
Sorry to hear about the drivers and their cars, but it was probably some rookie working as starter. Brain fart ? Maybe. But it's a brainless job. You have a certain spot on the track you mark with your eyesight, once a car passes that spot, bam, start the next.
And he ran away ? SHEESH ! Way to go.

SCCA also has a lot more money and experienced people involved. every time I have been to a UFO event it is someone that has auto-x experience running start.

I do agree though, it should not be hard to do the job. Some people are just stupid or have poor judgement.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:20 PM

Car Info: WR Blue Wagon
I was out there yesterday. And I'm a friend of MCDrama.. and of Michael in the wreck WRX. Dennis said it was the first time in 20 years he had ever had something like this happen.

I'm supporting UFO as best I can. Dennis and Peggy are stand up people and are doing this for all the RIGHT reasons. It's not about egos and money, but about having fun and maybe learning a bit about your car. They're putting on a clinic at the end of next month and I'm hoping to be able to go.

It would be a shame to see UFO go away as I've always avoided autox due to some of the attitudes and bs I've seen associated with other events. These guys are keeping it fun.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:26 PM

Car Info: '01 Forester S
I'm not sure if youre talking about attitudes and BS at SCCA events, but I've never seen nor experienced any of it. We just go by the rules that are laid out. No egos there either, but of course there's always one or two around ANY type of sporting event. Great group of people. I've met and made friends through the years.
Money, who has money ? I sure don't. I have a family to support and a racing addiction. To me SCCA is grassroots. I don't spend much on my car to race. Sure I see the Porsches and EVO's that are all set-up just for track, but so what ? If you can afford it, so be it. The FUN factor is there too, IMO. Heck, alomst any racing I can get invloved in is fun ! And so is the learning more about your car. Same thing as UFO I'm sure.
But to each his own.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:31 PM

Car Info: vtak mota
iwas there both weekends... i support dennis and peggy as they are the nicest people in the world....

yesterdays accident was due to lots of thigns going wrong... people (noobs) did not come in to work... so inexperienced people were taking important jobs such as starter... and lots of miscommunication was going on.

everyone is fine that as involved.. which is good...

today was pretty good alot of subies haha

PS: i was the slow black ricer honda on red rims :|
Old 08-13-2006, 11:44 PM

Car Info: evo8
lol damn edison now youre here also huh
Old 08-13-2006, 11:55 PM

Car Info: vtak mota
haha hey marcel! hahaha

Quick Reply: Please support UFO AutoX in SFR by attending!