PLEASE:Need help tonight! Fuel Leak!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 09:25 PM

Car Info: '15 LE STI, '06 WRX White Wheeled Wagon, '06 B9
PLEASE:Need help tonight! Fuel Leak!!

SO some of you have known I have had this fuel smell coming from the right rear of my car for some time now. It only happens after I drive the car. Goes away after it sits for a bit. (Pressure related ive determined)

I have been reading forums for about 4 hours now because the shop is having a hell of a time figuring it out, and my warranty ends saturday.

Seems tons of 06/07 models of all types had same smell in same area but no one has posted what the problem was.

2006 wrx wagon. 67k miles
I took my car in today. They did a smoke test: no leak.
Fuel system pressure test: no leak.
Fuel cap check: no leak. (also a brand new subaru gas cap)
No CEL's, just a strong smell.

I was talking to the shop owner and one of his mechanics overheard. He said it could be an actual leak not just evap.(but no drip, maybe dripping on something and evaporating before i can see it) He also mentioned maybe its the return line, which he said isnt checked during smoke test. Something isnt right, it hasnt done this the whole time ive owned it. Surely someone on this forum had same issue. Please help.

Ive ran the car with the rear wheel off, didnt see anythign dripping. COuld it be the charcoal canister? POssible thats full. The shop is Tri-Star automotive here in Santa Rosa. Came highly recommended from friends and the USAA warranty company, but being we have a time crunch we are on a short string here.

Anyone have any suggestions to give him, ANYTHING? Please let me know.

Ryan
Old 06-14-2012, 09:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: WRX, EVO, MSP3
Originally Posted by Irish_car_B0mb
SO some of you have known I have had this fuel smell coming from the right rear of my car for some time now. It only happens after I drive the car. Goes away after it sits for a bit. (Pressure related ive determined)

I have been reading forums for about 4 hours now because the shop is having a hell of a time figuring it out, and my warranty ends saturday.

Seems tons of 06/07 models of all types had same smell in same area but no one has posted what the problem was.

2006 wrx wagon. 67k miles
I took my car in today. They did a smoke test: no leak.
Fuel system pressure test: no leak.
Fuel cap check: no leak. (also a brand new subaru gas cap)
No CEL's, just a strong smell.

I was talking to the shop owner and one of his mechanics overheard. He said it could be an actual leak not just evap.(but no drip, maybe dripping on something and evaporating before i can see it) He also mentioned maybe its the return line, which he said isnt checked during smoke test. Something isnt right, it hasnt done this the whole time ive owned it. Surely someone on this forum had same issue. Please help.

Ive ran the car with the rear wheel off, didnt see anythign dripping. COuld it be the charcoal canister? POssible thats full. The shop is Tri-Star automotive here in Santa Rosa. Came highly recommended from friends and the USAA warranty company, but being we have a time crunch we are on a short string here.

Anyone have any suggestions to give him, ANYTHING? Please let me know.

Ryan
Does it have a Walbro fuel pump??
Old 06-14-2012, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
Does it have a Walbro fuel pump??
no, stock fuel pump. everything is stock except the spt intake/exhaust. those have been on my car for years. smell has been happening about 6-8 months
Old 06-14-2012, 09:58 PM
Former Sponsor

no, stock fuel pump. everything is stock except the spt intake/exhaust. those have been on my car for years. smell has been happening about 6-8 months
Your in the north bay right? Take it to LIC there as good as it get's when it comes to Subaru's even if Noah is gay!
Old 06-14-2012, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
Your in the north bay right? Take it to LIC there as good as it get's when it comes to Subaru's even if Noah is gay!
I will go to LIC if i have to pay out of my own pocket.

I already talked to noah about it but he doesnt do warranty work. I would like to not have to pay for it if possible.

The shop is also a smog shop, he said except for what might come out my tail pipe, this will not affect my smog results.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:18 PM
Former Sponsor

The shop is also a smog shop, he said except for what might come out my tail pipe, this will not affect my smog results.
That's a little beyond obvious! If you expect a general repair/76 gas station to fix a issue like a fuel smell on a Subaru you may as well spend your time at Walmart trying to buy Snap-On tools. The reason most shops outside of general repair won't take on the aftermarket warranty is due to the fact it's hardly worth the paper it's written on and for a small shop it's simply not worth the hassle trying to get paid.

I'd bet for $300 tops you'll have no fuel smell and Noah will give you a Blue Moon and send you on your way!
Old 06-14-2012, 10:25 PM

Car Info: 2008 specB
Had the same issue and location with my LGT-B....turned out to be a fuel pump. The dealer replaced it and the smell went away.

Never said what the actual issue was, but it went away so I didn't care too much...