Please help w/ gay marriage survey for english class (Need At Least 20 Replies)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 04:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1999 2.5RS / 2004 Forester X
Arrow Please help w/ gay marriage survey for english class (Need At Least 20 Replies)

Okay I'm taking English 101C at Ohlone in Fremont right now and our current essay topic is to survey people with some questions about the gay marriage debate. I need at least 20 people to answer these questions so I can organize the results into an essay format. Please respond to ALL questions with about a paragraph or a few sentences not just a couple words, take it seriously cause I need to get a good grade on this, thanks in advance.

-Jeff

1. Do you think the government has the right to control certain aspects of your personal lifestyle? If so which ones, if not.. why?

2. What are your thoughts when seeing two homosexuals holding hands walking down the street?

3. Should homosexuals and heterosexuals have equal rights?

4. What would be some pros / cons of having gay marriage legalized?

5. Morally, should it be okay for gays to get married?

6. Is having gay marriage illegal a form of discrimination?
Old 05-06-2004, 04:56 PM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
that sounds like altogether too much work hehe... jk

i will type something up and send it to you tomorrow. i had a statistics assignment like this at Foothill CC and I benefited greatly from others helping out so i would be glad to return the favor :banana:
Old 05-06-2004, 05:00 PM

In my opinion, God made man and woman. He made man and woman to populate the earth. Their relationship is sanctified by marriage.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:02 PM

The gift of marriage is sex.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:05 PM

Car Info: my 02 Wrx > STi = G35
Sent you a PM answering your questions...sorry if there were any improper uses of grammer, incorrect spelling, etc...I tried to kick out my answers as quickly as possible. Hopefully you got the idea of what I was trying to say.

Good Luck!!
Old 05-06-2004, 05:19 PM
NZO

Car Info: 996 Turbo
no
whatever
sure
_
sure why not
sure, in the same way we discriminate by arresting criminals, we are discriminating against people who commit crimes.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Stage 4+ Bugeye
I apologize now for my liberal views. . . . I live near berkley haha

1.The government does not have the right to control personal lives, we are not in communist China we are in America, the home of the free, let people do what they want.

2.They can do what they want as long as they don't try to involve me.

3.Yes, there is no difference in the people themselves, just a different preference. Segregation of different people is not good.

4. Pros: There can be more equal rights for everyone, Gay people will be happy. Con: The anti-gay people will waste thousands of man hours trying to get the right to marrage reversed.

5.Morals are set in each person, morals are not something regulated by a government figure or a mass of people saying that gay marrage is morally wrong. Morals are inside everyone they just need to find them.

6.Having it illegal up to this point, since no one has made any motions (significant motions) towards making it legal wasn't discrimination. But now that there have been motions towards making it legal then taking that away is now walking the line of discrimination.

I hope this helps. When you have an attorney in the family and you have a family get together with the gay uncle and the attorney aunt it is the conversation of the night. Cheers

WRX Rush
Old 05-06-2004, 06:05 PM

Car Info: 1992 Toyota Sera
That's a lot of questions...

Let me just say that it's not a big deal in Canada any more, and I don't see why it should be a big deal anywhere else, either. Then again I wasn't brought up being taught what marriage is or should be -- just seemed like a way for people to find their life companion or whatever. Under that definition I really don't see what all the fuss is about...
Old 05-06-2004, 06:13 PM

Car Info: 1992 Toyota Sera
Originally Posted by stg2lgcy00
take it seriously cause I need to get a good grade on this,
... and so you want an online forum to do the work for you?...

SLACKER!
Old 05-06-2004, 06:17 PM
VIP Member

1. I definitely think that the government has a right to control certain parts of our personal life.
2. I really don't care if I see a gay couple holding hands. That's their choice.
3. If you mean it as being one person, then yes I think that regardless of you sexual preference, you should have the same rights.
4. There are no pros to having gay marriage legalized.
5. Morally it is wrong for two people of the same sex to get married.
6. No, we were not made to have sex with the same gender.
Old 05-06-2004, 06:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
1. Not unless it harms another person or interferes with anothers rights.
2. Good for them. It takes guts to do that in America where a good portion of the population is anit-gay.
3. As individuals, yes. No one should be born into a "lesser" caste then anyone else. That stuff died out with the middle ages. As couples, without getting into it, I'll say yes they should.
4. I can't think of a single con. There are not any pro's that directly affect me, but since there are no cons (that affect me or anyone else), I don't think there is any reason to ban gay marriage.
5. Yes.
6. Yes. Marriage is an institution that publicly shows the love between two people. Discrimination is when you allow one person to do something and prevent another from doing the exact same thing. If you let heterosexuals marry, yet ban homosexuals, it is obviously discrimination. The government should ban divorces before they ban gay marriage.
Old 05-06-2004, 07:10 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1999 2.5RS / 2004 Forester X
Thanks for the replies, got 6/20 legit responses so far including a few PM's people sent me. Just need 14 more =P
Old 05-06-2004, 07:17 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

1. no, if you are not harming others or yourself (5150)

2. BFD...

3. i believe ALL HUMANS should have equal rights. gay, straight, blue, black, rich, poor, no arms, etc...

4. economically, you can write a PhD paper on it. you have equal rights for same sex marriages, which means benefits are extented to the partner. so a company that has benefits might have to pay for more.

as some comedians have said, let them get married. then let them have the sh!++y time when it comes with divorce... lollllllll

5. cant force morals on other people... so this question is N/A. my morals is diff from another person. so what i think is wrong MAY NOT be the same for another person. and vice versa...

6. yes.
Old 05-06-2004, 07:21 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
1. Do you think the government has the right to control certain aspects of your personal lifestyle? If so which ones, if not.. why?

That's a REALLY hard question to answer. I'm in favor of regulation regarding some of our "privaleges" or "rights", such as driving (testing, licensing, etc), but I don't think the government should be able to say whom I can and cannot marry. That's not their place.

2. What are your thoughts when seeing two homosexuals holding hands walking down the street?

Good for them. I don't know why I would think anything different.

Of course. The only difference between heterosexuals and homosexuals is that they choose to have sex and/or relationships with people of their same gender. I don't see why that should be used as a basis to judge someone. It's like judging someone based on their color or gender.

pros = equal rights. negatives = none

Yes. A lot of people are trying to say that gay marraige would ruin the sanctity of marriage because the church so heavily frowns on homosexuality. The problem with this argument is that marriage is recognized by local, state and federal governments, who in turn provide benefits such as tax breaks and survivorship rights to married couples. This violates the need for the seperation of church and state. If people want marriage to be solely religous, then "marriage" as we now know it should be called "civil union" or some other PC term for ALL couples, both hetero and homo. Then, the couples who wanted their marriage to be a religious bond recognized by the church could then have a seperate ceremony at their church or with their priest. Then, the benefits provided to couples in a civil union would not violate seperation of church and state rules, and religous people could have their marriage be something of the church only and could exclude everyone they want.

Of course it is.

(dictionary.com)
dis·crim·i·na·tion ( P ) Pronunciation Key (d-skrm-nshn)
n.
The act of discriminating.
The ability or power to see or make fine distinctions; discernment.
Treatment or consideration based on class or category rather than individual merit; partiality or prejudice.
That's exactly what is happening when you say someone can't get married because of the gender of person they are marrying.

Last edited by nachomc; 05-06-2004 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-06-2004, 07:23 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: MMVI AW WRX STI

1. Very minimal rights to control my personal life, only over something that could conflict/hurt the rights of others. I can't think of an example now. Where I stick my **** is certainly not one of them.

2. a.) Who cares, and b.) Is their Forester the turbo one?

3. Equal rights with respect to every aspect of the world except adopting children.

4. They only societal "pro" is that we are being open minded and allowing personal freedom to reign supreme. There are no real cons...unless you're homophobic. I personally worry about gay people adopting children and raising them in such an environment, but that's another issue.

5. "Married" is a religious term, and thus I think it's stupid. If two people want to commit to one another, who cares. Morally speaking, I think the committment two serious people make in a marriage outweighs any "immoral" argument that people make against gay marriage.

6. Definitely. But calling it marriage simply to **** off the religious majority that controls this country is stupid and will be the downfall of the movement. They should settle for "civil unions" that give them all the rights of married couples. I personally don't care what they call it.

I hope you really have to do a survey and aren't just quizzing us to get ideas and points of view for your essay.

Quick Reply: Please help w/ gay marriage survey for english class (Need At Least 20 Replies)