Please advise - dealing with condo neighbor

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 11:33 PM

Car Info: bici putas
my suggestion is invite 'em to dinner, let someone go upstairs and makes normal/ day to day noise, and go from there.

If that doesn't sit well pick up late night dj'ing, the kind with 18" JBL'zzzz slappin like flapjacks.

or all else fails go with spoolin's 2 pennies
Old 06-09-2009, 11:49 PM

Car Info: '08 SpecB
^Invite them to dinner, tell them to have the kids stay upstairs with a babysitter. They hear the noise, and you get to know them and maybe they'll see things your way.

They could probably put down rugs, since additional insulation now is kinda dumb.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:51 AM
banned

Car Info: Honda RVT RC51
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by knock
my suggestion is invite 'em to dinner, let someone go upstairs and makes normal/ day to day noise, and go from there.

If that doesn't sit well pick up late night dj'ing, the kind with 18" JBL'zzzz slappin like flapjacks.

or all else fails go with spoolin's 2 pennies
Yes. 18" JBL's knockin Sir Mix A Lot's "Posse on Broadway" with the bass turned all the way up should get their attention.

Last edited by c32c7; 06-10-2009 at 12:57 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:21 AM

Car Info: 99RS-T
Well as a parent with a couple youngsters I can understand why your upstairs neighbor was in a foul mood @ 7am on a Sun being confronted with this prob lol. Certainly this doesn't justify her response but I can relate. I live in a duplex and have similar issues with my neighbor(and they with us likely) but these are issues bound to come up when you share a wall or floor. Atmittedly hardwood floors upstairs is gonna be tough for anyone to overlook but hopefully you can relate this to them before having to "drop the hammer" as this could get messy. Having them in your place while people are walkin around and bouncing a ball on the floor is a good idea. Realistically, short of having them tear out their floor all you can hope for is them to get thick area rugs and be aware of the noise they make. GL with this man, let us know what happens.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:35 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by Mr. Xevious
always talk with people first before you have to drop the hammer.
thats what the mods have to do here

dont douche it up in real life

drop the hammer!
Old 06-10-2009, 07:41 AM
9 to 5 mod

Originally Posted by Spoolin415
Set their kid on fire.
atta boy!
Old 06-10-2009, 07:45 AM

Car Info: Nadda
Yea, good advice, try to show them your point of view. If they say "well too bad" Then have legal matters handled. Most likely I'm sure they'll come to an understanding, but adding a few thousand $$'s won't be an easy thing for the family who just did their floor not too long ago either.

I'm guessing the hardwood floors was built for the kid for spills anywho, but if you have a legal move, you have a legal move. I wouldn't use it just yet =p
Old 06-10-2009, 07:52 AM
9 to 5 mod

Originally Posted by AntiochCali
HOA is a contract, but it is usually a contract without teeth - He should've installed insulation between the HW floor and the support floor, but he did not, there is not much either of you can do about it.

1. Most HOA only have teeth for the mgmt of the association, not for the tenets, but it is worth an hour of a lawyers time to look them over. If you have an association, then they may have some influence, but many HOA have no enforceable "punishment" for breaking the rules, and no full time management to ensure the rules are followed.

2. For this guy to "fix" his HW floors would cost thousands of dollars...he would have to remove the existing flooring, and sideboards and then install the sound proofing, then re-install the flooring (which would now be 1/4-1/2 inch higher, so that any non wood floors would have to be reraised to match)...thousands in labor, really. So he will not do anything.

Exactly the same thing happened to a friend of mine, and so he went to arbitration, the guy above said he'd put down area rugs to muffle the sound, but it didn't help much. My friend ended up moving but he had to disclose the noise problem on the deed when he sold, sold for $35,000 less than market, which he sued ($10,000 initially then $5000 more later to the lawyer) and won $35,000....so he only lost a total of $15K, but it's $15K!
wow this guy knows
Old 06-10-2009, 08:51 AM

Car Info: 06 WRB WRX Wagon Limited Edition
I would suggest to get those shoes where you can walk on walls/roofs upside down and start pounding back. Give them a taste of their own medicine! Also, you and your wife should have four kids to double the noise of their kids!
Old 06-10-2009, 08:53 AM

Car Info: 06 WRB WRX Wagon Limited Edition
All kidding aside, sounds like you know what you have to do. You are the one that is going to have to live with them. Maybe/hopefully they are looking at a house for their family.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:09 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX, tuned by Ed@EQ
Originally Posted by Irish_car_B0mb
def confront them and all kidding aside suggest they get some area rugs. that would at least quite the noise down a bit.
This would be my first recommendation. Never go into a situation without thinking it through. Have some ideas of what they might be able to do to curb the noise levels you experience, both inexpensive and expensive.

People are much more receptive to potential solutions instead of just *****in' about the problem. Hope this helps.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:16 AM

Car Info: 05' WRX (Dirty Black)
by all means, talk to them first. however, you are more than likely going to end up at the hoa anyway. even if they come down and hear what you are talking about, they are upstairs and not the ones constantly having to deal with the noise. think about clicking a pen. to the one doing it, its no big deal. but to others, it can be annoying as hell! you are both hearing the same thing, but its a world of difference if you are the one doing it or just hearing it. if you talk to them, they might tip-toe a bit, but they will eventually forget about it, and it will get annoying again. the only way to really solve this problem short of moving out is carpet. jmo
Old 06-10-2009, 10:38 AM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
I know what you go through. Our apartments are all hard wood foors and i love that they are hw for cleaning purposes but damn its noisy. I have a pretty well balanced out with my neighbors just on occasion it bothers me but all and all we get along. Now for the previous tenants OMG for a 5'3 all of 90lbs she stomped like she was 500lbs. The first time she complained i was loud i had her come to my place and made her listen to upstairs. I even bought her a nice rug, but she threw it out in the trash :/ She still didnt care and she wouldnt quiet down even people on the other side of the 4plx could hear her. She ended up getting kicked out.

Personally to me i have to remember that i live in an apartment dwelling and sometimes you have to deal with extra noise as you are not in a house. I will be so happy to get into my house come later this year after living in the apartment for 4 years.

The best bet is to talk to them and try to find a balance. Kids will be kids but bouncing a ball inside for me is not ok. If by talking to them nice doesnt work then go and report them to the HOA.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:57 AM

Car Info: Smokin' Joe
do any of the above...if that doesnt work (including the fire and the kid idea) straight pipe your car and come home at 4 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:02 AM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
lol we played that game for a bit.. 2 STi's with blitz nur spec r's

Quick Reply: Please advise - dealing with condo neighbor