View Poll Results: Would you be OK with adding a microchip to your medicine?
Yes, it's a good idea and I'm all for it
42.86%
No, it's going too far and there are too many unknown risks
32.14%
I'm not sure, I could go either way
25.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

A pill with a microchip inside of it? Going to far?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 06:06 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
A pill with a microchip inside of it? Going to far?

In case you guys haven't ever heard of it, it's a microchip that is embedded in a pill (can be used in any kind of pill just about) which transmits how much you're taking, when you're taking it, and how well the medicine is working via internet/smart phone.

This is being developed in Switzerland and they hope to submit it for clinical use within the next 18 months!

Does this trouble anyone else? What about privacy issues with transmitting info like that? What about health issues (long term, etc) with having a friggin microchip transmit from inside your body?

Aparently the chip is activated by stomach acid, and since each pill will have it's own unique chip inside of it, doctors can track exactly how much you take and when exactly you're taking it. I don't know exactly how the tech works but this seems to be going way too far.

It was on channel 2 news this morning, and here's a link to another news site about it:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6A754720101108

My biggest concern is the long term effects of swallowing a friggin microchip every time you take a pill! Privacy is another issue...

What do you guys think about this? Going too far or a good idea?
Old 11-09-2010, 06:28 AM

Car Info: 2002 Black Subaru WRX Sedan Stage 2
Originally Posted by brucelee
What do you guys think about this? Going too far or a good idea?
I don't see a problem with it as long as it's voluntary...
Old 11-09-2010, 07:09 AM

Damn, I just realized that I voted for the first option by accident, I could have sworn I clicked the second option, lol... Does a mod want to subtract one vote from the top option and add one to the second, please?
Old 11-09-2010, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by xdeathwishx
You feel comfortable transmitting confidential health info directly from your body over the web like that? I don't know about you, but I value my personal privacy a great deal.

Another thing, you're OK with consuming a microchip every time you take a pill? I can understand it the chip was proven tech that had been around for 100 years that has been studied intensely to find out if it is in fact harmless on the long term or not. This is brand new tech and there's no telling what kind of harm this can potentially do to your body. Just about everything causes cancer nowadays, even things found in nature so think about what harm consuming electronics over a long term can do to someone!

I could be totally wrong and it could be totally safe but that's not something I'm willing to be a guinea pig for.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:57 AM

Car Info: 05 18g LGT Wagon | Former 08 LGT Spec.B
I did a research project on RFID's in college years ago, and they're going to be in everything in the near future. The technology is pretty awesome, and I'm all for it.

Currently there's tons of artificial devices being implanted into people's bodies. I'm sure these RFID's won't be in simple drugs like Tylenol. If this is for those situations on TV like House where doctors are trying to figure out which drug would be the best help, if these chips can provide feedback about how the body is reacting to drugs, that's pretty awesome.

From my experience working in Healthcare Privacy/fraud industry, Health information hasn't been monetized. Bad guys can't sell your health information for financial gain. There's no incentive for them to do it. The level of technology it would take to actually read the information coming from the chip would be very expensive, so random people walking down the street won't be able to jack your info. How many people use that program that lets you scan UPC barcodes to check for cheaper prices on the internet? Barely anyone. Who would pay hundreds of dollars to see what red cell count is at the bus stop down the street just for curiousity sake?

As long as the benefits greatly outweigh the risks, I'm all for it.

Last edited by LGT Mark; 11-09-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:08 AM

Car Info: 2008 Forester XT Sports
Originally Posted by xdeathwishx
i am here also. just as long as it cant tell how many times a masturbated that day...
Old 11-09-2010, 10:20 AM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Originally Posted by LGT Mark
I did a research project on RFID's in college years ago, and they're going to be in everything in the near future. The technology is pretty awesome, and I'm all for it.

Currently there's tons of artificial devices being implanted into people's bodies. I'm sure these RFID's won't be in simple drugs like Tylenol. If this is for those situations on TV like House where doctors are trying to figure out which drug would be the best help, if these chips can provide feedback about how the body is reacting to drugs, that's pretty awesome.

From my experience working in Healthcare Privacy/fraud industry, Health information hasn't been monetized. Bad guys can't sell your health information for financial gain. There's no incentive for them to do it. The level of technology it would take to actually read the information coming from the chip would be very expensive, so random people walking down the street won't be able to jack your info. How many people use that program that lets you scan UPC barcodes to check for cheaper prices on the internet? Barely anyone. Who would pay hundreds of dollars to see what red cell count is at the bus stop down the street just for curiousity sake?

As long as the benefits greatly outweigh the risks, I'm all for it.
RFID is constantly growing and is here to stay.

As for meds with them in them, I agree, it's only going to be in the very expensive stuff.

However, I don't think that the motivation for putting them in pills is for better medical care by the doctor. No... it's for the insurance companies to point a finger at the end user and say..." see you didn't take your meds on the prescribed schedule... your coverage is now denied."

For this reason, I'm against it at this point.

Heathwise, I'm sure they're going to encase the RFID in some non-digestible case that you just poop out. RFID RF level is much much lower than a cell phone.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:46 AM

Car Info: '02 WRX
Originally Posted by LGT Mark
If this is for those situations on TV like House where doctors are trying to figure out which drug would be the best help, if these chips can provide feedback about how the body is reacting to drugs, that's pretty awesome.
I selected "i could go either way" because the OP wasn't very clear about this issue above. If the microchips are being used to give actual medical information that could be vital to saving your life or just getting you better faster than its good to go in my book. The way it was described originally was as a glorified baby sitter making sure you're taking your meds on time which, as other people already mentioned, because of the monetary funds needed for a project like this the microchips would never be used for a function like that. Change is scary but with it comes progress which is good.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:24 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
There are a lot of pros and cons.

Meds might go up in price
What are the long term health issues that might arise from having tiny chips in your body
What/how do you get them out of your body (pass them or dissolve in the stomach)

Might be harder to sale them illegally
Might stop ppl from abusing them
ect ect
Old 11-09-2010, 11:34 AM

Car Info: FR-S + WRB Bugeye.
Stepping stone to nano technology!

SNAKE?! SNNNAAAAAAAAKKKKKE!!!!
Old 11-09-2010, 11:36 AM

Car Info: 05' WRX (Dirty Black)
as long as it's not a suppository i'm cool with it.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:02 PM

Car Info: San Remo Red '05 WRX
Sounds like a damn good idea.
To the guy who said something about long term effects.
Do you not use your cell phone because you are scared of radiation??
Old 11-09-2010, 12:12 PM

Car Info: 04 WRX & 01 NEON "SRT0"
im pretty sure this tec alrady exisits the dif being transmitting to smart phone/internet and it sounds like they are putting them in every pill so they know how much u take. i dont care sounds like the type of pills lindsey lohan shold be on so someone can go slap her when she takes to many.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:02 PM

Car Info: N/A
I'm looking forward to the day when you can walk in a store and grab the items you need and just walk out. Everything is tracked and billed by RFID's so it knows exactly who has the items and what they are then deducts it from your checking account. Who needs paper money or ATM cards? Just need to find a way to hack Bruce's ID code and walk out of Subaru with a new 2025 STi. LOL

In all seriousness I can see major benefits with this for medical patients who need to be closely monitored. I doubt you would need something like this if you ate a nasty burrito and were peeing out of your ***.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:15 PM

Car Info: 2002 Black Subaru WRX Sedan Stage 2
Originally Posted by gh0st shad0w
peeing out of your ***.

Quick Reply: A pill with a microchip inside of it? Going to far?