Picking up an 09 sti in Texas and driving back...anyone done the drive? :|

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 11:31 PM
pwn

Car Info: 09 STi, 10 Cayman S
Picking up an 09 sti in Texas and driving back...anyone done the drive? :|

Picking up a loaded 2009 black sti in El Paso, Texas (barely texas lol)

Its like 17 hours for the drive home! Anybody done it? Any bets on how many redbulls will be consumed? Any suggestions on how to pass the time....
Old 11-11-2010, 11:35 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx
i drove around the country once.. ONCE.. lots and lots of music would be the minimum.. if the car has a dvd player, bring some ****
Old 11-11-2010, 11:46 PM

Car Info: 2010 997.2 GT3
Originally Posted by pwn

Its like 17 hours for the drive home! Anybody done it? Any bets on how many redbulls will be consumed? Any suggestions on how to pass the time....
No it is not a 17 mile drive if home you mean danville. Maybe more like 20 or so. I go to school in Arizona and the drive is about 16 hours. Well then again I don't know how fast you plan on driving. Well I don't know how to pass time really, I play DnB styled music on long drives and the upbeat lets me pound out the long drives, like it makes it bearable well for me at least. Well if you feel tired and you need a quick wake up and no ones around you, use the bot dots and just ride down them. Otherwise pull over and nap. Are you going non stop?
Old 11-11-2010, 11:58 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
u get a good deal on the car? that why you went to texas?
Old 11-12-2010, 01:51 AM

Car Info: 2008 Forester XT Sports
ok, but really. how much cocaine are you bringing back for us.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:09 AM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Originally Posted by subaru3169
i drove around the country once.. ONCE.. lots and lots of music would be the minimum.. if the car has a dvd player, bring some ****
dont forget the tissues
Old 11-12-2010, 02:26 AM

Car Info: 2005 sti
It's at least a good day worth of driving. So let's just say 1 day. And Bts.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:25 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 Impreza TS Wagon
Originally Posted by pwn

The longest I've driven in one day, with just myself driving, was 10 hours (I did a 15 hour drive from Canada, but I had two other drivers).

Make sure to have a decent playlist or 3 of music set up before hand. Cold, caffeinated drinks are good too.

Take breaks at least every couple of hours - stop at a gas station, get a drink, use the head, stretch your legs, whatever. If you feel you're dosing off, don't hesitate to pull over somewhere and take a nap - opening a window, blasting the music, etc. really won't keep you from falling asleep at the wheel. Chances are good that after 8 hours of freeway driving, you'll be (at the very least) spacing out frequently.

Honestly, if you don't have any pressing reason to do it all in one trip, consider just spending a night at a hotel. You could probably find a cheap, chain hotel/motel for $50. It's worth the money and the extra time not to have to do it all in one go.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:38 AM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

no chances of stopping in the middle in vegas????

lol...

cause i do a yearly drive to vegas and that's like a 8-9 hour for me. i like to take it slow and lots of stops.

nothing like having satellite radio for tunes (or howard stern for me) and ipods/mp3s.

make it a vacation, if possible.

otherwise, you might get into trouble.

longest stint of a drive for me was from fremont to portland. man i hated that drive. i just got my 04 STi a month before. and as soon as i crossed the border, i cringed everytime i gave the keys to the oregon's silly gas jockeys...
Old 11-12-2010, 06:27 AM

Car Info: Toyota pickup, Tuono, '62 Mini
Originally Posted by pwn

I just did the drive in January. Pretty boring really but it shouldn't take too long. Arizona was still using speed enforcement cameras back then but they may be gone now. Either way I recommend you watch your speed as they are sneaky out there. It helps if you take a friend along. Having someone to talk with can make the time pass by much quicker.

It isn't the most exciting read but here's my drive from Long Island, NY to the Bay Area from early this year:

996 Road Trip

Drive safe.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:45 AM

Car Info: 2016 CWP WRX
boring boring drive. entertainment is your friend. and break it into 2 days. my dad almost killed himself and others 2 weeks ago brining an ebay project home from texas. good sleep is your friend. even if you only stop for 5-7 hours......

good luck and congrats!

josh
Old 11-12-2010, 06:49 AM

Car Info: '03 WRX wagon, faster than walkin'
I've driven cross country lots of times, Florida to California or DC to California and once CA to NY.

Best suggestions I can make is don't drive while you're tired, hotel is best but even sleeping at a rest stop is okay. Avoid cities at rush hours, and don't take too much junk with you, end up not using/watching/listening....stop, get out and walk around at every rest stop.

Have fun.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:52 AM

Car Info: Teh Subie
I've done a couple cross country drives to/from Georgia with my brother. We drove about 16 hours a day; Day 1 was Oakland-Flagstaff,AZ. Day 2 was Flagstaff to Amarillo Tx, Day 3 was Amarillo, TX to Atl. I'd recommend you keep it under 10 hours a day if you're solo, but it'd be safer if you had a co-pilot/navigator.

Map out the route ahead of time, try to keep tabs on traffic conditions an hour or so ahead, that way you have time to call an audible.

A red bull every 2-3 hours should suffice, that's what I do on my Vegas runs.

Would recommend a radar detector if you have the means (how Ferris Bueller was that?).
Old 11-12-2010, 10:59 AM

Car Info: 07 sti lmtd #275
shouldnt be too bad unless u crash - i drove back from ontario canada in a 92 cadi fleetwood and got 6 hours of sleep the whole trip. fainted aftr hennessy and mota @ my homecoming party
Old 11-12-2010, 11:14 AM

Car Info: 2002 Black Subaru WRX Sedan Stage 2
I was in a band, and toured around the US a couple of times. We used to go clockwise around the US from NY->FL>TX->CA and then back across the midwest. The biggest gap between shows was always the stretch between TX and CA, because the only thing worth stopping by on the way is Phoenix, and if there was no show in Phoenix, it was a long long boring drive. Basically, there's a whole lotta nothin' out there. It's really really hard to do it in one day if you're alone, so I wouldn't even try.

Also, don't run out of gas, because the gas stations get pretty sparse out there.

As far as passing time, we used to try and memorize the entire script from the big lebowski, ghost busters 2 and back to the future. But we had a TV in the van...

Quick Reply: Picking up an 09 sti in Texas and driving back...anyone done the drive? :|