Pearls of wisdom from a dictator

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2003, 10:38 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Pearls of wisdom from a dictator

Saddam is claiming the shuttle disaster on Saturday to be "God's revenge" against the Israeli and American nations for supposed crimes against the muslim world. Funny- you think he could have done more than an accident that claimed fewer lives than the average sucide bombing does. If God was really that pissed at us, I think he'd take it out on more than one aircraft. Besides, using that logic, couldn't the coming war against Hussein's regime be termed God's wraith in the form of the greatest military force humankind has ever seen?

Furthermore, how did he miss the opportunity to throw world opinion entirely in his favor simply by offering his nation's condolences, something along the lines of "the peaceful explorers shall be welcomed into Paradise with Allah?" His remarks today are something akin to kicking the hangman in the shins as you step up to the noose.

Last edited by Kevin M; 02-01-2003 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-01-2003, 11:03 PM

Car Info: '21 STI
Yeah, that was pretty dumb. I heard they also showed videos of people celebrating the crash of the shuttle in Iraq.
Old 02-02-2003, 03:07 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Originally posted by View Askew
I heard they also showed videos of people celebrating the crash of the shuttle in Iraq.
Saddam has brainwashed his people with his state-run newspaper and television station, which are the only news sources, into being entirely convinced that the U.S. is their enemy and we will wage war only to make the Iraqi people suffer.

Don't be too concerned when foreign protesters celebrate the misfortunes of Americans...

--
^ww^
"...axles of evil..." - George W. Bush
Old 02-02-2003, 03:01 PM
Dork

Car Info: 2005 STi, 2005 OXT
Hello,

Do y'all have a source on that announcement? I looked everywhere and nothing I found was offensive. The latest Yahoo reports actually said:

Although no Iraqi government statement was issued immediately, individual Baghdad officials expressed sympathy for the American people, despite the current tense confrontation between the United States and Iraq.

"We are people who love other people," said Bushra al-Samarai, a member of the Iraqi National Assembly. "We respect their feelings and share their sadness over this tragic incident."

[...]

A National Assembly leader, Secretary General Ghalib Jassim, also voiced sympathy in the aftermath of tragedy, but with a reminder that Iraq feels under siege from the same stricken America.

"We are friends for the American people," said Jassim, a graduate of the State University of New York at Buffalo. "We don't have anything against the American people as people. The problem is between us and the American administration."

The news of Columbia's loss appeared almost immediately Saturday over Iraq's Al-Shabab (Youth) television, a station owned by President Saddam's son Odai. It switched to live coverage of the fast-developing news carried by the Qatar-based satellite news channel Al-Jazeera. [...]
I'd love to see an article about Saddam's statement, because you are correct, there's not much he could say to give Americans more hatred of him aside from telling us this was punishment for not liking him!

Joel
Old 02-02-2003, 04:50 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Originally posted by Joel Gat
Do y'all have a source on that announcement? I looked everywhere and nothing I found was offensive. The latest Yahoo reports actually said:
<snip..>
Joel, no I don't, sorry. I just commented on what I assumed was an official Iraqi government statement. I looked at CNN's site and couldn't find a record of a statement, but maybe my search keywords were mis-chosen, or the report is elsewhere. Point taken - I should read it myself before commenting.

--
^ww^
"...axles of evil..." - George W. Bush
Old 02-02-2003, 07:02 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Unhappy

I heard about it on the radio Saturday, so I don't know what the source was. I was listening to KNCI's newsman, who I assume also does news for other stations on other formats with the same ownership. I hope I wasn't making much ado about nothing.