Paso Robles/San Luis Obispo area

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 09:06 PM

Paso Robles/San Luis Obispo area

So I'm thinking of taking a job out in the above mentioned area (camp roberts actually). And I was wondering if people could give me some info on the area.

Not sure if its bay area or socal, as it falls kinda in the middle.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:22 PM

Car Info: '06 black 2.5i
Originally Posted by Speedwagon
So I'm thinking of taking a job out in the above mentioned area (camp roberts actually). And I was wondering if people could give me some info on the area.

Not sure if its bay area or socal, as it falls kinda in the middle.
central coast. what kind of info do you want to know?
Old 11-08-2007, 09:22 PM

Car Info: '05 Impreza Outback Sport ~ "WTF! Two-Toned?"
Wink

It IS in the middle.

Pluses: Great roads with little patrol, if it has a route number, stay off it!
Great winter weather... open country. Good bass fishing, some nice steak houses. Fun wineries and tasting. SLO ~ coed town and all that goes with it. Bars and drunk ladies, some great parks. A few nice beaches (Avila), don't swim if you are afraid of sharks! And Hwy 1... scenic, but no longer FAST, do to the horrible road conditions between San Simeon and Big Sur. Nepenthe for a $12.00 burger in Big Sur, still can't be beat. Unlimited budget... you could die at Ventana Inn and be happy to go. Oh yeah... Cambria is great place to spend a day as well.

Negatives: Hicks. Nothing to do after 10:00PM. No decent shopping. No culture. Lot's of the same countryside. Rolling hills & oaks (not that it is bad... just the same). All of Fresno and Bakersfield coming to the coast ALL summer. Stay away from Pismo Beach (you will miss nothing). Paso Robles fair in the 100 degree heat!
Old 11-08-2007, 09:42 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
yeah i see some awesome roads from the airplane window thru there, makes me wanna jump out!

but those roads are probly farm or private roads so id expect to hear gunshots if you went on one

depends on where you live now, how much of a transition its gonna be

Last edited by kYLEMtnCRUZr; 11-08-2007 at 09:44 PM.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:50 PM

Car Info: 07 STI
My friend goes to cal poly and his mom lives in paso robles, both which I have visited a few times (also goin this weekend). Paso is EXTREMELY HOT and SLO is usually about 20 degrees cooler than paso at any given time.
As NW said, paso is fully of hicks, theres really not much there cept for some damn good mexican food and drive some nice empty back roads. On the other hand SLO is much nicer and has a great downtown.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:14 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
the hicks say it "Pass-o-Robe-lays"
Old 11-08-2007, 11:16 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx
paso/slo

I lived in paso robles for about 5-6 years. yeah its kinda a hick town. you'll see lots of raised trucks and suvs. yeah there is some really good mexican food down there. camp roberts is really close to san miguel. and san miguel does have cheaper housing prices. There isnt much to do out there. shopping wise you will probably have to go to san luis obispo for most of your shopping. there is is walmart and target though. the closest mall is in santa maria. thats about 1 hr south of paso robles.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:18 PM

Car Info: '05 Impreza Outback Sport ~ "WTF! Two-Toned?"
Wink

Or, after the quake... "Paso Rubles"
Old 11-09-2007, 01:45 AM

Car Info: 05 wrx
I lived in paso from 2000 to 2006. I was there when the quake happened. two people died in Pan Jewelers.

paso robles has weird weather. it gets really hot and really cold.
oh yeah just so you know Robles is pronounced Robos (just letting you know so the oakees dont try and skin ya)
oh yeah people whole live in Templeton are really stuck up (5 mins south of paso)
and 10 mins south of templeton is atascadero (aka atrashcadero)
the weird thing about the area is everything is really spaced out compare to the bay area
I think it takes about 2 and a half hours to get to paso from san jose

paso robles
5 mins south is templeton
10 mins south from there is atascadero
15 mins south from there is san luis obispo
15 mins south from there is pismo beach/ arroyo grande
15 mins south from there is santa maria
1 hour and a half south from there is santa barbara
Old 11-09-2007, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by kYLEMtnCRUZr
yeah i see some awesome roads from the airplane window thru there, makes me wanna jump out!

but those roads are probly farm or private roads so id expect to hear gunshots if you went on one

depends on where you live now, how much of a transition its gonna be
<- chicago
Old 11-09-2007, 09:20 AM

Car Info: 2006 WRX wagon
Turry road off of Los Osos Valley Road in SLO, also See Canyon Road. Lived there 6 years and miss it every day. Unless you like big cities you will not be disappointed.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:21 AM

go to perfumo canyon in san luis obispo, out by madonna, ITS SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTT

I would take my sti out there everyday when I went to school down there, whoops same as Sea Canyon

theres a lot more roads out there tho as well.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:48 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 wrx wagon
paso is great if you like wine. there are sooo many vineyards out there. there are some good places to eat, but i'm not sure about the night life.

i lived in slo for three years. it's a mix of older, rich folks and college kids. there are a lot of good places to eat, and there are also quite a few bars. although some (most) will be packed with drunken college kids. it's gone through a huge revamp in the downtown area and there are more chain stores (br, abercrombie, sephora, etc) there now.

morro bay is about 15 mins from slo (a little bit north and west taking los osos valley rd), and there's a good little drive out to montana del oro, a pebble beach. i think this town is pretty dead at night.

15 mins away from slo (south on 101) is pismo beach, which also has great food, great views, and a pretty nice beach. it's a huge touristy place.

if you go 10-15 mins south of pismo, there are sand dunes where you can rent atvs or take your own car out into the dunes.

you should try taking a weekend trip there to explore the area if you can... but given that you're in chicago, that might not be an option.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:25 AM
mot
Likes The Color Purple

Car Info: plug-in prius
paso is lame. slo is cool if ure young. drive 58 -> 229 off santa margarita on 101. near atascadero.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:44 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
My mom grew up in SLO so I spent a ton of time down there as a youngin'. Pretty fun town for both families and regular single peeps since Cal Poly is right there.

-Brian

Quick Reply: Paso Robles/San Luis Obispo area