Palo Alto Parking No Nos

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 05:18 PM

Car Info: '05 STI
Palo Alto Parking No Nos

I just had some friends at work go to lunch in Palo Alto. While parked there on the side of the street, every single car with tint or no front plate got a ticket from parking enforcement.

They are all fix-it tickets, but still I think that's a pretty lame way to generate revenue for the city...
Old 05-18-2006, 05:29 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1999 2.5RS / 2004 Forester X
Last year my mom got a ticket over there for no front plate on her old beat up 93 Corolla wagon. They are not selective over there, they'll do it to anyone.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:57 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Originally Posted by jonp
I just had some friends at work go to lunch in Palo Alto. While parked there on the side of the street, every single car with tint or no front plate got a ticket from parking enforcement.

They are all fix-it tickets, but still I think that's a pretty lame way to generate revenue for the city...
Yes, perfect reason for me to never go to that sh*t hole again. I assume you mean the university ave area/downtown?

That's so lame that folks are there spending money and generating city revenue, while the stupid cops your meals just paid for is writing you a ticket.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:10 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Obsidian Black Pearl WRX
Palo Alto police are like the gestapo.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:50 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
There's been two armed muggings in the past month or so on Stanford campus, and PAPD are worried about tint and front plates...great...
Old 05-18-2006, 08:31 PM

Car Info: 2000 Tacoma Pre-Runner 4 Cyl.
Originally Posted by MVWRX
There's been two armed muggings in the past month or so on Stanford campus, and PAPD are worried about tint and front plates...great...

WTF are these people thinking???????????
Old 05-18-2006, 09:49 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2009 G Ride
PA/Menlo/Atherton PD all profile to the fullest, but I have seen them hassle other kinds of vehicles. My record is 12 tickets in 1 month in Atherton (7/12 tickets were given on consecutive days.. Yes that's 1 ticket per day, each day for seven days straight.) They also called my HKS Carbon/Ti a "bazooka shooter" and asked me "what smoking rice felt like", no joke. Though actually today I sat in one spot for 10 minutes on University Ave because traffic at which time I was surrounded by officers on patrol, none of which got me for limo tints which were visible to them (rolled half way down). I guess the dubs were too blinding...
Old 05-19-2006, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by AWD 20T
asked me "what smoking rice felt like", no joke.

Are you Asian? I would have serious issue with that even if it was said to me, and I'm white...especially if he had a poor attitude during the whole thing. At the time you were probably just happy to not get send to the smog ref or something, because I would have been pissed.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:39 AM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

why is it lame for a city to issue tickets for something that is against the law?

and this is the parking enforcement or meter maids. that's all they do. ticket people.

if the city didnt want your money, they would remove all the parking meters on the streets.

i assume the tint was for the front seat windows, not the rear seats?
Old 05-19-2006, 12:10 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Originally Posted by ldivinag
why is it lame for a city to issue tickets for something that is against the law?

and this is the parking enforcement or meter maids. that's all they do. ticket people.

if the city didnt want your money, they would remove all the parking meters on the streets.

This is stupid. Why would anyone go to lunch in palo alto now? This is bad for local business owners!

It is very common for folks not to have a front plate... I've ran like than for 15+ years and only was cited for it once because I p'd off the cop.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:16 PM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
Are you Asian? I would have serious issue with that even if it was said to me, and I'm white...especially if he had a poor attitude during the whole thing. At the time you were probably just happy to not get send to the smog ref or something, because I would have been pissed.
he has a lisence plate frame that said "I don't eat rice, I smoke it" or something like that
Old 05-19-2006, 02:40 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

Originally Posted by HellaDumb
This is stupid. Why would anyone go to lunch in palo alto now? This is bad for local business owners!

It is very common for folks not to have a front plate... I've ran like than for 15+ years and only was cited for it once because I p'd off the cop.

1. you can write the local business owners saying that fact. then they can in turn, contact city hall.

i agree the front plate is a "silly" issue. the tints though, were pushed by the police. it was so they would walk up to a car they had just stopped and having the driver ambush them.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by ldivinag

Actually the tint was for tinted windows that came from the factory on an SUV (Ford Escape).

I agree with what has been said already about the business owners there. I'm not going to lunch there ever again myself. The front plate issue is dumb, especially after the intersection cameras were upgraded to get rear pics. Some cars still don't even come with front plates.

I know there will be a lot of people upset about it though. They are too harsh for sure. One girl where I work got a ticket for being too far away from the curb, and she said that every car in her parking row had that ticket. The sidewalk is really high there in the middle so you need to park a little bit out so passengers can exit. A row of about 6 cars got that ticket.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:56 PM

Car Info: 2006 STI CGM
One girl where I work got a ticket for being too far away from the curb, and she said that every car in her parking row had that ticket. The sidewalk is really high there in the middle so you need to park a little bit out so passengers can exit. A row of about 6 cars got that ticket.
Ive got that beat. My buddy lives in S.F. and I parked on a side street which is one way. It was 930 pm on a Sunday night. I walk out to my car and I had a ticket under the wiper. I look at the ticket and it was for $195. I look at the violations... window tint ($50), further that 18" from the curb ($45), and no front plate ($100). I know that all these citations were avoidable, but come on, 930 on a Sunday night in an alley, although it was the end of the month and those pigs need to meet their quota. Parking Enforcement, if you wanna call them that, I actually prefer Police Academy Rejects, just drive around in there three wheeled RASCAL pissed off at the world because they have that job.

Sorry had to vent.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:14 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

Actually the tint was for tinted windows that came from the factory on an SUV (Ford Escape).
if that's the case, then your friend can get out of it by providing proof that it came from the factory that way.

I know there will be a lot of people upset about it though. They are too harsh for sure. One girl where I work got a ticket for being too far away from the curb, and she said that every car in her parking row had that ticket. The sidewalk is really high there in the middle so you need to park a little bit out so passengers can exit. A row of about 6 cars got that ticket.
IIRC, the law is 12 or 18" away from the curb... ever since i got my STI, i have been so paranoid about sidewalks and that more that a couple times, i had to re-park the car since i was so far away...

Quick Reply: Palo Alto Parking No Nos