Over the ear headphone recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 08:18 PM

Car Info: '97 Grandpa Gold Jetta
Over the ear headphone recommendations

What do you guys and gals recommend for over the ear headphones? I have some in-ear ones now which I love, but after a few hours my ears are sore. Don't need some insanely priced ones either, but something that overall sounds really good. Also looking for something that keeps the music to myself and not heard by nearby people. I often work on the computer late at night while my gf sleeps 12ft away. Don't want to wake her
Old 03-02-2011, 08:20 PM

Car Info: 2010 997.2 GT3
What's your budget?

The best over the ear headphones I have are B&W P5s
Old 03-02-2011, 08:24 PM

Probably like $0-100, money is a bit tighter right now. Don't expect to get anything magnificent for that price range either.

Could spend more if the headphones are really worth it, just have to save up a little bit longer.

Are the Beats all hype? I've heard them at Best Buy and honestly wasn't all that impressed. Could be worn down from all the abuse from others though.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:25 PM
more than meets the eye

Car Info: ?
My dj friend suggested these a few yrs back
Pretty good & won't break the bank

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.html/r...5?a=B00001WRSJ
Old 03-02-2011, 08:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
Originally Posted by soundwave
My dj friend suggested these a few yrs back
Pretty good & won't break the bank

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.html/r...5?a=B00001WRSJ
This + this - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...250_DT280.html = win.

The pleather ones that come stock on the V6's suck *** through a straw. The Beyer velour ones rock and don't make your head sweat.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:42 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
For $100 you can get a good set of Sony's - they were the recording studio standard for years.

If you want a bit more of a bargin, and to support a CA based company
http://www.carvinguitars.com/product...ct=H44M&cid=33
Old 03-02-2011, 08:50 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by Lowend
For $100 you can get a good set of Sony's - they were the recording studio standard for years.
Yep - it's hard to beat a set like the ones suggested above, for the price. Add one of these: Total Airhead and it's a whole new world. I know it seems like a lot of money, but since I got one it's followed me everywhere and it makes nearly any set of phones light up. Nothing like it on a plane as well. There are better models, but this one is totally adequate.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:53 PM

Car Info: 1.8L FWD
what earphones are you using? i was going to recommend Grado Labs SR80, but they are open design so people will hear what you're listening to.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:54 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Yep - it's hard to beat a set like the ones suggested above, for the price. Add one of these: Total Airhead and it's a whole new world. I know it seems like a lot of money, but since I got one it's followed me everywhere and it makes nearly any set of phones light up. Nothing like it on a plane as well. There are better models, but this one is totally adequate.
Headroom is a DANGEROUS place.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:58 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch

Looks like these can be had for about $90. I got my pair about a year ago from Guitar Center for about $120 and I also got their crazy warranty thing (the extra $30). I have been using them at work, little over 40 hours a week for about a year and they sound great. Cancels out almost all outside noise and keeps all the noise produced inside and they are really comfortable on my big *** head. I am really happy with them.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by JZ oo7
what earphones are you using? i was going to recommend Grado Labs SR80, but they are open design so people will hear what you're listening to.
I've been using a pair of $12 Skullcandy in-ears but one of the speakers went out so I've been using the Samsung in-ears that came with my Galaxy S Vibrant. Yeah, not using anything great at the moment lol

Those Sony MDR-V6s look really good. In my price range even with the recommended ear buds. I'm not creating music or DJ'ing, I just like to be immersed in my music when working
Old 03-02-2011, 09:04 PM

Car Info: EQ Built/Tuned WRX
Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU

Looks like these can be had for about $90. I got my pair about a year ago from Guitar Center for about $120 and I also got their crazy warranty thing (the extra $30). I have been using them at work, little over 40 hours a week for about a year and they sound great. Cancels out almost all outside noise and keeps all the noise produced inside and they are really comfortable on my big *** head. I am really happy with them.
These headphones are amazing.. i use these as well, very clear sound, i use them as i practice playing drums, watch movies, music etc.. i bought mine as well from guitar center, cost about $100.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:07 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
Don't get confused about studio headphones -- they are designed to recreate sounds accurately, which doesn't necessarily translate into sounding good. Other "colored" headphones have different sound signatures which will be more pleasant, especially for covering up low bit rate songs out of low quality sources like portable mp3 players.

Grado makes some fine headphones in the $100 ball park, but they are open backed headphones, which means you will get less of the thumpy bass of "DJ" headphones. On the other hand, they are really lively and exciting to listen to. I have a pair of the RS2i's

Also, technically Grados are "on ear" and not "over ear" (excluding a couple of their top end models) but they are still very comfortable

Old 03-02-2011, 09:08 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX, 2014 BRZ
if you like electronic/bassy music, the Denon D1100 is the best value for audiophiles

Shure SRH440 is good for classical/vocals/some rock
Old 03-02-2011, 09:24 PM

Car Info: Legs.
If you have the cash get the P5s... they really make me want to convert my music to FLAC.

Quick Reply: Over the ear headphone recommendations