Outside the House Security Suggestions (Motion sensor lighting, Cameras, ETC)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 07:16 PM

Car Info: Nadda
For 550 that's pretty cheap considering the crazy amounts of tech =0. That's almost like a super nice Car Alarm! I remember working for an organization that had cams on us all the time, and a came in color with 4 different angles at the same position. You could switch cams, zoom in and out, turn left and right, up and down, AND have 4 screen split on one monitor! That can be done with only that amount of $$? That looks like a future investment! =0
Old 02-22-2012, 07:17 PM

Car Info: '06 WRB STi
Originally Posted by old.guy
Thanks...

If anyone has questions I can try and help out. If you really enjoy your stuff. It sucks but its come down to having to watch over your own stuff. Police are only going to take a report now days unless its a hot call. Other words.. Not do ****.

Now say you have a video, You can report it and say you have a video. Police will like this and will come out to play. Or you can go on your own.
But its also a piece of mind. I can be anywhere and watch my home.

Cheap systems start @ $350 and go up. Good systems start around $550
You need to figure out if your going this route to only scare away. Or to catch someone.
This is a list to look at.

4 cam +
27 ifr leds
field of view
Night time - B&W or Color
cam resolution 480 /720 lines
wireless/hardwire
500gb DVR
internet conect
smart phone app
Alarm outputs
TV outputs
Remote control

----------------------------
For a apartment.
  • 4 cam,
  • wireless
  • 500gb
  • hook up to computer or TV screen

For a home at least
  • 8 cams,
  • pan/zoom IP cam
  • 500gb,
  • 27+ifr leds
  • 60 feet viewing
  • lock box DVR and cable to HDMI TV.

Wireless cam in driveway/carport
2nd cam covering the front yard and driveway cam.
Then place another cam at back yard and front door area

The biggest thing is not to go cheap in the cameras. All the DVRs are the same and all the cameras for the most work on all systems. They are simple RCA systems.
What brand would you recommend and do you recommend getting a complete wireless set-up? I know they have a couple at Costco but the reviews don't seem too great.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:44 PM
banned

Car Info: 500+ whp Club
[QUOTE=iLoqin;3208324] zoom in and out, turn left and right, up and down, AND have 4 screen split on one monitor! That can be done with only that amount of $$? That looks like a future investment! =UOTE]

Those are the pan/tilt ip cams. They run about $175 and up. You can add those to any system now days and even have stand alone systems with no dvr. Just install the cam and internet and go.

Originally Posted by Jodice112
What brand would you recommend and do you recommend getting a complete wireless set-up? I know they have a couple at Costco but the reviews don't seem too great.
I would run as little wireless as you can get away with. They are not true wireless. You need to power them, But the signal back to the dvr is wireless. They can also be taken out or jammed easy. Hardwire is always best. As for brands, Costco had a great system on sale for $550. Don't let the reviews carry to much weight. 99% of the time its user error and or install error. Just shop by the guildlines I put up and you should be fine. I can help install or go when you go to buy if it fits my schedule. I'm no means a pro at this. I have learned from trial and error and lots of time spent reading. I have a car collection/ motorcycle collection and other stuff to keep safe. And I know the local governments do not have a budget to help unless its a hot call or I have some leads for them. And I do not see that improving in the future.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:49 PM
banned

Also some DVRs give you a adjustable field of alarm view. Meaning you can set the screen to detect movement to record and or trigger an alarm. This works well if you have a small hard drive on a DVR, You can also look for systems with exandable dvrs or usb /sata ports. And most the time its a simple hard drive swap to increase record space. 4 cams works well with 500gb on a 30 day loop. Or you can use alarm view and use 24 cams on 500gb 30 day loop. Just depends on the set up.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:03 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Any suggestions for setting cameras at your place of business? Also, what's the best way to record to an off-site DVR/Storage Media? I ask because if your business gets broken into and they find the DVR with all the surveillance videos on it, they will obviously take that with them when they leave.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:04 PM

Car Info: '06 WRB STi
Q-see has a 16 channels/cameras with a 1tb dvr for $700. Honestly I think 16 cameras is too much but its only $100 more than the 4 camera/8 channel one.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:39 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
What about extensions? My garage is a separate unit thats more than 60 ft away.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:47 PM
banned

Originally Posted by Lurk
Any suggestions for setting cameras at your place of business? Also, what's the best way to record to an off-site DVR/Storage Media? I ask because if your business gets broken into and they find the DVR with all the surveillance videos on it, they will obviously take that with them when they leave.
Lockbox /Safe or you can always remote IP the stuff. Like I do. And I have the smart phone app.

Originally Posted by Jodice112
Q-see has a 16 channels/cameras with a 1tb dvr for $700. Honestly I think 16 cameras is too much but its only $100 more than the 4 camera/8 channel one.
Depends on what you are trying to do. Q-see is pretty good stuff. Remember that adding cameras are about $75 -$150 a pop depending on which one. So it can be better to spend the extra $100

Originally Posted by Heedz
What about extensions? My garage is a separate unit thats more than 60 ft away.
You can get wired cable 100ft @ $20 from Fry's or some of the baller wireless systems can go 100ft. You can also get a simple wireless ip cam. Plug it in, Connect to the internet and be done. No DVR needed, but it can have an alarm and scare away and trigger your phone/computer to look.
I think the ip cams have DVR software for your home computer. The systems out there are endless. Be creative for your needs and you will be fine.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:10 AM
banned

I'm going to throw this out there.
Without going into to much details about the crime and my CCTV system. Few nights back 4 people tried to steal my Subaru. Its home for the last few years has been in my back yard, Next to other cars, my truck and some motorcycles. I have a big field behind my garage.
I happened to be up at 12:45am and caught it all on video. Anyways. Thru the video I knew who it was. Even saw what they were driving. And watched them drive around before hand. Same people that have been cutting thru the neighbors property to get into my back yard. over the last two months. And after a long debate of really wanting to take these peoples wrists and place them in my shop vice. You get a nice slow painful punishment as your bones fragment. And then you cant push a car or steal a car ever a gain. I'm just going to let them sit in jail.

That is twice now I have been saved in three years. After I got home from taking my car out of here. Which sucked, (up all day. Then have to make a 11 hour drive at 2am) I kissed my CCTV system and I am going to give it a party. Not only I could have lost my car had that system not been there, But also not been able to figure out who was behind it all. I don't want to post up much more as I don't want to make it easier for the next bad guy.
My friends and family thought I was paranoid. I just like to think I was just prepared.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:20 AM

Car Info: Miata and dirtbikes
Hide in bushes +shotgun lol
Old 02-27-2012, 10:33 AM
banned

Originally Posted by bkblitzed
Makes to much sound. And is to hard to clean up quickly.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:26 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Air rifle + peppercorns.

Originally Posted by old.guy
Makes to much sound. And is to hard to clean up quickly.
I think one of the reasons why people don't mess around in our neighborhood is BECAUSE we are out shooting regularly. Shotgun definitely not quiet The people in our neighborhood aren't asshats either.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:39 PM

Car Info: 12Teens crazy 4 me
Wow, thats pretty messed up.

I think the best thing to do is get a multi channel live stream video camera system that points out away from the house a bit and into the street. And then, get a motion light sensor.

Also, try to plot down what happens and when.. for example, mark down the dates these occur and figure out a pattern. Some crimes like these can have a repeatable offense, and then the days you think they will come, hid in the bushes with a camera to take pictures of the people and give the popo a call.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:35 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Either borrow someone's camcorder (sorry, I don't have one to lend you) and set it up in a window or just get one of those fake dome cameras that has a LED light so it LOOKS like you have a camera going until you can get one.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:16 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Well my name is Hide..... LOL
Originally Posted by theoutbackdream
Wow, thats pretty messed up.

I think the best thing to do is get a multi channel live stream video camera system that points out away from the house a bit and into the street. And then, get a motion light sensor.

Also, try to plot down what happens and when.. for example, mark down the dates these occur and figure out a pattern. Some crimes like these can have a repeatable offense, and then the days you think they will come, hid in the bushes with a camera to take pictures of the people and give the popo a call.
There's no pattern what so ever. If I also see it happening I probably won't just take pictures, someone is getting a beat down, or back in high school my dad used to go with a 5 iron out the window of our 4runner.

Originally Posted by 04GG
Either borrow someone's camcorder (sorry, I don't have one to lend you) and set it up in a window or just get one of those fake dome cameras that has a LED light so it LOOKS like you have a camera going until you can get one.
Well then it comes down to wiring them and wiring a fake isn't gonna be much different. I'm gonna start with LED motion sensor lights around the house, our current ones suck...

Quick Reply: Outside the House Security Suggestions (Motion sensor lighting, Cameras, ETC)