OT: questions for bass players

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 09:37 PM

Location: 1999 OBS, 1985 GTI rallycar, 1995 Miata trackcar, 2001 Ford E350 van
Car Info: 1999 OBS
mmm...Rick. I love the sound of Ricks. My next bass is going to be a Rick.

For a general utility bass, I'd have to go with the MusicMan. I lusted after those for years, but about ten years ago I picked up a custom-built job that I like better.

I also have a Hofner semi-hollow fretless which I play a lot. I don't think fretlesses are all that much more difficult to play than fretted basses, but it's hard to get a really bright tone out of them. Nice and warm, yes, but if you're going to be doing a lot of popping and hammer-ons and pull-offs, it's a lot easier to be crisp if you have frets.

I'm sort of out-of-date with amps. I think I've had my GK400 for about fifteen years now. The last amp I lusted after was an Ampeg SVT-II.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:49 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
Hey does anyone know the name of the SWR head that has an Aural Exciter built into it?
Comeon resist the inuenndo
Old 09-24-2004, 09:45 PM

Car Info: 2002 4EAT MBP wrx wagon
yup got one of those i believe. the one i have is an old sm-400s with an aural enhancer ****. good solid amp imo, no aguilar or eden but an amazing head nonetheless.
Old 09-26-2004, 05:32 PM

Car Info: ass-pan bug eye :D
Red face

Originally Posted by BluBuru
Because I lust after your axe.

I was just teasin'... guess I should have used a " "
It seems like there are some nice instruments here for a car-forum.

Any of y'all in bands?

Mike
aw no worries doll. i'll let ya play my bass some time if you want. although she's kinda hard to cart around since she's 6'2".

as for bands... nope not anymore. i just picked it up because i used to go up to a ranch in rowland heights and played bluegrass at night over a pit fire... well when the air wasn't too cold. tempurature and humidity changes do bad things to wood. but i also played in my ex's rockabilly band every now and then when their bassist couldn't make it. or i'd just come home after a stressful day of work and slap the hell out of her.

anyone name their bass?
Old 09-26-2004, 08:50 PM

Car Info: WRB '02 WRX
Originally Posted by Staar
aw no worries doll. i'll let ya play my bass some time if you want. although she's kinda hard to cart around since she's 6'2".
Just my height.

I'd love to play it sometime, but I imagine that the different hand-position of an upright must take some getting used to: you probably just want to watch me flail.

as for bands... nope not anymore. i just picked it up because i used to go up to a ranch in rowland heights and played bluegrass at night over a pit fire... well when the air wasn't too cold. tempurature and humidity changes do bad things to wood. but i also played in my ex's rockabilly band every now and then when their bassist couldn't make it. or i'd just come home after a stressful day of work and slap the hell out of her.
Fireside bluegrass sounds like a fine thing to me. Do you play with a bow, fingers, or both?

anyone name their bass?
Just "Frankenbass" as I mentioned. (Its cobbled together out of two old dead bases plus some new pickups.)

I've got a guitar named "Maggie" though.
Old 09-26-2004, 11:19 PM

Car Info: ass-pan bug eye :D
i love bluegrass and folk. it took me a long time to get used to it. i normally listen to rockabilly, psychobilly and two-tone ska... but once you get past how hokey it is and how hard it would be to play a mandolin or a banjo and actually listen to the stories they're telling... it's really amazing music.

i HAVE a bow for my bass, bu ti've never been able to figure out how to use it. i just use my little fingers. for some reason my calouses fall off two days after they develope, so i have to use paper surgical tape to act as an extra layer of skin. bleeding blistered fingertips is not the most attractive thing for a girl to have, so i try to keep my little fingers in decent shape.

anyone who's tried playing any kind of bass without using a pick knows my pain. of course upright bass is totally different. you can't strum or just hit the strings you actually have to put your funger under the string and pluck it. it took a lot of rackety practice to be able to pluck fast enough to add a tripplet slap in there. also, you can't run your fingers up and down the board like you would an electric bass or you'd rip the skin right off. you actually have to walk your fingers up and down and know where the note is.

lucky for me, my bass was made in the united states, so the neck isn't very thick like it would be if it were made in asia.

as for mister franken... he's not as zombie-ish as the bassist from nekromantiks bass is. this dude made his bass... by hand... out of a childs coffin. no joke. *shudder* it's AWESOME to look at. you should check it out soe time.
~*Victoria*~