OT: questions for bass players

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 03:08 PM

OT: questions for bass players

the story is, i used to play the bass a long time ago, but stopped for 5-6 years, recently, i have a sudden urge to start playing again. i sold all my equipment a while ago, i had a fender jazz standard before. What would you guys recommend for a new set up? I've tried a couple basses, prolly narrowed down to the fender american jazz, or a musicman bongo (does that make me a tool?) looking into the $1000range, are les pauls and epiphone basses any good? what would also be a good amp setup for under $400?
Old 09-15-2004, 03:22 PM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
IBbassplayrr responds
Old 09-15-2004, 03:29 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
...make sure to get fret-less...way f***in cool and you can do some stuff you can't otherwise...since you played before it shouldn't be too hard
Old 09-15-2004, 03:31 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
...make sure to get fret-less...way f***in cool and you can do some stuff you can't otherwise...since you played before it shouldn't be too hard...BTW I'm pretty sure Epiphone and LesPaul are the same company, and they're both made by Gibson (Gibson's the main co, the other two are brands within it)
Old 09-15-2004, 07:51 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
IBzoebisright

Get the Music Man, I have always wanted one of those, but have no cisash for a third bass. My favorite bass is the Rickenbacker 4003. I have a black one with the "over" style pickup. The thing sounds friggin evil and looks amazing with the abalone (sp?) shell fret marks. They are a super oldschool sound, think STP, and have the nice old "stereo" feature which has two outputs. They cost a good amount though. I would reccomend buying an old one as they are exactly the same and usually go up in value. A GREAT bass, the BEST for the money, IMHO, is the Epiphone Viola. This is a remake of the old Paul McCartney bass. The sound is insane. Put some smooth black nylon strings on this bad boy and it is the smoothest bass I've ever heard. Best part is that it is positivly tiny which makes it perfect for soloing or really jumpy songs. Since my style is very Sublime and Regee esque, this is my fav. If it had a Fender or Ernie Ball name tag, it would easily cost three times the money.

-Chris

These are my two babies, for about $2k I have two totally different sounding basses good for sounds anywhere from Helmet and Rage to Sublime and STP
Attached Thumbnails OT: questions for bass players-p2233h-9b0dfa89a609ad6377a3598f865238e1.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by bassplayrr; 09-15-2004 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:25 PM

Car Info: 71 rb26 240z
If you are intrested, my bass player is selling his SWR 6X10 goliath bass cab for $600. I dont really play the bass, but i play the guitar and i've heard that epiphone basses are pretty good. Check out the bass reviews on harmonycentral.com, they work really well.

-jason
Old 09-15-2004, 08:54 PM

Car Info: 2000 2.5 RS
Do you guys remember stankfootz? He started his own business building basses and guitars, and he builds amazingly intricate beautiful stuff. I don't know how to get a hold of him much anymore, maybe kostamojen knows?
Old 09-16-2004, 02:56 AM

Car Info: 2002 4EAT MBP wrx wagon
look around, find out what feels good for you and what fits your style. I have a modulus flea 4 with the old lane poor pickup and I love it. Can get so many sounds out of that one bass with not a chance of neck warpage. Check out craigslist and harmonycentral.com as well as bassgear.com for cheap deals on used equipment. For amps, I have an swr rig myself, for around 400 you could take a look at a working man's combo, possibley an eden cxc112, or maybe something like a gallien kruegar 2x10 combo or something of the like. good luck. and if you have only one bass and don't play jazz, I wouldn't recommend a fretless.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:06 AM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
I would take a look at Carvin for your rig - www.carvin.com they cannot be beat for value on amps and speakers

As for a bass ... I think Fender is pretty much a ripoff now. They are just living off their old name. I like Musicman, Some of the hi-end Ibanez basses are very nice for not a ton of money.
I suggest going over to Gelb Music in Redwood city - they have a very good selection of basses and the guys are knowledgeable.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:12 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by pleue
if you have only one bass and don't play jazz, I wouldn't recommend a fretless.
Exactly what he said. ^^^^

-Chris
Old 09-16-2004, 10:21 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: dangerous with a wrench
+1 for not getting a fretless (yet). Personally, I'm partial to the sound of a Jazz bass, but go somplace where you can **** on all of them and see what you like best.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:16 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
Real men don't need frets for any type of music
I have played everything from Roots blues to hardcore metal with a fretless 4 string.
You just can't get the same range out sounds out of a fretted instrument.
Of course I learned on the Upright and have been playing since I was 8
Old 09-16-2004, 07:57 PM

Car Info: 04 STI
Hey everyone... My wife wants to learn how to play bass..lol Not sure why but all the power to her. Can you give me any advice as to a beginner setup. She has played the piano as a young girl, but we have no clue were to start here.

Any help is appreciated...

Thanks,
Egg
Old 09-16-2004, 08:10 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Eggman's-STI
Hey everyone... My wife wants to learn how to play bass..lol Not sure why but all the power to her. Can you give me any advice as to a beginner setup. She has played the piano as a young girl, but we have no clue were to start here.

Any help is appreciated...

Thanks,
Egg

Hmmm... if I was just starting up now I would probably buy a relatively inexpensive acoustic bass. This way it is cheaper than a bass/amp combo and more portable as well. If she is just getting started I am assuming she will be playing on her own and not in a band, so an amp isn't really essential anyway. If she really gets in to playing, and wants to continue doing so, she can always upgrade later. Best part is that you won't have to put up with a loud a$$ beginner messing up all the time... acoustics are nice and quiet.

-Chris
Old 09-16-2004, 08:20 PM

Car Info: 04 STI
Originally Posted by bassplayrr
Hmmm... if I was just starting up now I would probably buy a relatively inexpensive acoustic bass. This way it is cheaper than a bass/amp combo and more portable as well. If she is just getting started I am assuming she will be playing on her own and not in a band, so an amp isn't really essential anyway. If she really gets in to playing, and wants to continue doing so, she can always upgrade later. Best part is that you won't have to put up with a loud a$$ beginner messing up all the time... acoustics are nice and quiet.

-Chris
Perfect just we were thinking of. Any Req's on brand and what price i might be looking at?

Thanks BP.. ;-)

Quick Reply: OT: questions for bass players