orange peel = :( PAINTERS plz read

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 06:48 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
orange peel = :( PAINTERS plz read

had some girl back into my front fender a while back causing some chipping and major creasing.

so i sent it to be fixed at a authorized Mercedes body shop (insurance is paying) thinking id be getting a trouble free A++ job
(hey my car is just aspen white, should have been a breeze for these guys since they are use to crazy metalics and flakes)

WRONG!

went to pick up the car and the paint is majorly orange peeled WTF!

so after pointing it out and showing them how hideous it looks that half the car is textured they said they will get it fixed and it should be ready tomorrow

question:

is it easy to fix this? so easy it should be GTG in 24hrs???? or should i be skeptical and demand they repaint it correctly??

Last edited by zumnwrx; 05-11-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:49 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: 2018 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel EOC Stage 1
Im not an expert on paint, but when M4 painted cars, they took about a week........
Old 05-11-2010, 06:54 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by rau
Im not an expert on paint, but when M4 painted cars, they took about a week........
yea they took their sweat time painting one fenders and blending but now they are saying that they should be able to clear up the orange peel no problem by tomorrow
Old 05-11-2010, 10:10 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Just a color sand and buff, no worries. Tomorrow sounds about right.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:20 PM

Car Info: 12 STi
yeah most likely they are color/wet sanding it... that's how u get rid of them anyway...

fyi, orange peel can occur in factory paint too!
Old 05-12-2010, 08:02 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Color sanding is nothing, its quick and easy, few hours of work max.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:25 AM

Car Info: Fast
Orange peel is usually a sign of poor prep work, or unfavorable conditions when painting and/or drying of the paint. How much time it takes to fix depends on how deep the peel goes. If it is very light, then refer to ^^
Old 05-12-2010, 02:29 PM

Car Info: 4日本車
What Choku Dori said. Wet sand and you will be good to go since it was just painted.

Also, my guess is that a place that someone would take a MB S-class for body/paint work could have easily given back a flawless paint job, but given that most new Subarus have orange peel from the factory (read: ****ty Subaru paint), they probably knocked it out quick and charged the insurance enough to make a nicer profit rather than spending a quality amount of time for prepping the body for paint.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:27 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by vodka
What Choku Dori said. Wet sand and you will be good to go since it was just painted.

Also, my guess is that a place that someone would take a MB S-class for body/paint work could have easily given back a flawless paint job, but given that most new Subarus have orange peel from the factory (read: ****ty Subaru paint), they probably knocked it out quick and charged the insurance enough to make a nicer profit rather than spending a quality amount of time for prepping the body for paint.
sucks! the only freaking reason i went there was cause i HATE! having to deal with ****ty work and prefer things get done right the first time so i don't have to deal with looking like the jacka**

but here i am
im sure they were like... "the guy in the stupid subaru is complaining about his repair... "

Last edited by zumnwrx; 05-12-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:59 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by vodka
Yeah, the ironic thing sometimes is that a car comes with orange peel from the factory, and when a shop color sands and buffs the hell out of the repair it made, it ends up looking nicer than stock and makes the undamaged parts of the car look like crap

It's a fine line
Old 05-12-2010, 07:18 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by Choku Dori
Yeah, the ironic thing sometimes is that a car comes with orange peel from the factory, and when a shop color sands and buffs the hell out of the repair it made, it ends up looking nicer than stock and makes the undamaged parts of the car look like crap

It's a fine line
Every car I have bought new, I have taken from the lot to a body shop, and had color sanded and buffed out inside of 5 days of buying it. Its worth the 200-500 bucks you get charged for it.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:19 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Overbear
Every car I have bought new, I have taken from the lot to a body shop, and had color sanded and buffed out inside of 5 days of buying it. Its worth the 200-500 bucks you get charged for it.
Huh, that's actually a pretty good idea. Better to spend the money on that than something silly like a pinstripe kit or bumper guards or some other dealer option crap