opinions needed - Mercedes C230 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 12:32 PM

Car Info: 04 wgn
opinions needed - Mercedes C230 coupe

My wife needs a car for a new job, she really likes the Mercedes C230 coupe 04-06, it can be found for under $15k with ~60k-80k miles. I have no experience or knowledge about these cars and have no idea what we'd be getting into maintenance wise, known issues etc.. I swore off german cars after my 99 VW passat, but she likes it.

Anyone here have family members who owns one, any horror stories or stern warnings? any forums dedicated to these cars? I'm pretty spoiled by this community when it comes to information about my car, its tough to go into another make completely in the dark.

Or if anyone has any other similar recommendations I'd love to throw some other options out there. Must be under 15k, small, hopefully coupe, and reasonably nice. She hates the infinity coupes.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:03 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
I'm just bleh about mercedes in general...just way too costly to maintain when something does break...if I were to go euro it would be bmw over benz most of the time..specially when it comes to 3series vs c230 (weak small motor iirc)

Coupes id recommend? Accord coupe v6 - some have 240hp and still get good mpg...

I don't like them but there are solaras er whatever they are called fromtoyota...sucks she doesn't like infinity cuz the g35s are dope..maybe the newer nissan altimacoupe?
Old 09-28-2011, 02:49 PM

i have a friend selling one 06 c230 sport, around 60kmiles, but its 4 door so that rules it out for u but im guessing the 4d/2d are relatively similar, it does feel like a smaller car compared to say a g35, i can fit it in compact parking spots fine and what not, i drove it around for a little bit and its got decent power and comfy as you can expect from a luxury car, maintenance seems expensive unless you do the work yourself, i think he said oil changes is ~100 bucks if i remember correctly, i dont think hes had to change anything major, but it does need new tires/brakes
Old 09-28-2011, 02:55 PM

Car Info: 2013 BRZ
I used to be a valet and have driven almost every Mercedes, I am just not a fan. They have good quality when they are brand new, but as soon as that warranty is up, I have heard of them falling apart. That is an argument for any car though. The problem with Mercedes is just how expensive their parts are. I would stay away, but that is personal opinion. I'd go with a Japanese luxury car. Infinity or Acura imo.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:59 PM

Car Info: Hybrid
Not a fan. These are the cheapest in the line-up. I would recommend you try an BMW.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:41 PM

thanks for chiming in, i'm mostly worried about maintenance of the car since I definitely prefer doing the easy stuff myself; if changing fluids, breaks, etc.. doesnt require the stealership to get involved i'm probably ok on that front since I can take care of that stuff on my suby already. As for quality, obviously i prefer japanese myself, but that argument wont make the wife like a less "attractive" vehicle any more.

i'm surprised people recommend bmw (guessing 3 series?) over Merc, i havent owned one but all I ever hear is complaining about how they're always in the shop.

the cheapest in the lineup to me is a plus b/c I feel like luxury cars just pack the higher end models with unnecessary electronics to automate functions the driver can pretty easily already do, just to add to the "cool" factor. these things inevitably break and replacing them costs $1k +plus for each stupid little system or sensor, like auto windshield wipers etc.. Other than that you're paying for more power, which my wife doesnt really care about.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:56 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by SubyWrxGuy
Not a fan. These are the cheapest in the line-up. I would recommend you try an BMW.
Both are throw away toys; something that costs way too much to purchase, costs way too much to maintain, and loses way too much money when it's time to sell.

BMW M series of 2000 -> are perhaps some of the ****tiest cars made.
My business neighbor makes money hand over fist from folks that just gotta finance their ego.
****, he doesn't even own a German car!
Get either something Japanese, Korean, or a new Ford.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Both are throw away toys; something that costs way too much to purchase, costs way too much to maintain, and loses way too much money when it's time to sell.

BMW M series of 2000 -> are perhaps some of the ****tiest cars made.
My business neighbor makes money hand over fist from folks that just gotta finance their ego.
****, he doesn't even own a German car!
Get either something Japanese, Korean, or a new Ford.
Not gonna disagree on your points when buying a brand new luxury car, it seems to me like an 05 with less than 75k miles for under 15k doesnt have all that much value left to lose in the near term. Maybe 1k/year or so, which is probably true for any car that age, especially since the wifes commute is about 15 miles each way. I feel like buying used from a private party for the right price changes the equation quite a bit.

And if was going to get myself a new car I probably would stick with japanese again, but thats besides the point.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:34 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by onboostsubie
I used to be a valet and have driven almost every Mercedes, I am just not a fan. They have good quality when they are brand new, but as soon as that warranty is up, I have heard of them falling apart. That is an argument for any car though. The problem with Mercedes is just how expensive their parts are. I would stay away, but that is personal opinion. I'd go with a Japanese luxury car. Infinity or Acura imo.
Yeah, the early 2000's model years did NOT wear well. Broken buttons, loose shifter mechanisms, torn and faded leather. I would not pick up a used benz of that generation. I'm not really sure about newer ones because they don't have 5+ years on them yet, but they may have gotten better.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:10 PM

Car Info: 00 BRP 2.5RS Sold = 04 SRR WRX Wagon, 06 AW STI :(
Working on these cars they cause nothing but headache's with some issues and difficult repair. Common issues; coils, headers crack, seat modules short and drain the battery over night, supercharger's have been known to fail, oil leaks, cam solenoids, and plenty of other crap.

For that price range you cant go wrong with a E46 ('00-05) 328 or 330i, they are sooo easy to work on. The problems they have are easy to figure out unless you made it happen by doing something stupid, then to fix them realistically any mechanically inclined person can do (unless you need special tools). Plus that C230 is gutless compared to a 328i. Just my .02.

It's always a good idea to get a pre-purchase inspection before buying, my shop specializes in German cars so let me know if your interested. It pays off, my friend didnt get one on his E46 and he had me look at it after he bought it, 2nd gear syncro's shot so it needs a rebuild (previous owners fault).
Old 09-28-2011, 08:48 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
The previous generation C-class was utter garbage. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. However, the current generation C-class is a totally different car. Mercedes has really improved the entire lineup. My gf has a W204 C350 and it's actually a pretty nice car. It's been completely reliable and is quite comfortable as well. My only gripe is the archaic navigation system that Mercedes Benz still uses. A tiny screen with a completely retarded user interface. They could really use a lesson from Acura on designing a good SatNav system.

If you're set on buying a Mercedes, make sure you get a StarMark (CPO) car. After the warranty runs out, if anything breaks, you better be prepared to spend some money on repairs.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:06 PM

Car Info: Hybrid
I thought we we're talking "luxury" cars....

Paul is right cars such as Mercedes, Lexus, BMW, Jaguar, etc. are all expensive to maintain.

"What is in a name" - W.Shakespeare
Old 09-29-2011, 12:12 AM

Car Info: Drove a Cavalier with a WRX body kit
So much hate on the c230.

I have an 06 c230 sport and I LIKE it like tofu. Its slow and its looks good. Does not attract attention and gets really good mpg for a v6. It gets better mpg than my 01 2.5RS driving the same route. Its comfortable, quiet and automatic.

I have driven an 02 coupe and the difference is pretty noticeable. The coupes are lighter and quicker. Exterior appeal wise, I prefer the sport sedan. c230s are common cars and there is a good enough community to get what you need in terms of DIY.

I've had the pleasure of working on an 02 coupe and my 06 sport. Yes everybody is right, the parts are more expensive, but the actual work is like any other car. I'm purely speaking on simple maintenance like oil, brakes, filters etc... Not difficult, just sometimes more compact than your typical Japanese car. Thankfully my car has had no problems and I do not foresee any as long as I maintain it properly. Like most cars, treat them nice and in turn they should treat you nice.....unless you get a lemon than sorry, your screwed.

For my oil change, I need about 8-9 quarts of Mobile 1 0-40w with the $15 oil filter. May seem expensive but I only need to change the oil about every ~8-9k miles so the cost is not THAT much more expensive. The coupe will be cheaper as it has a smaller engine than my v6. Air filter $60 cabin filter $30 - equivalent to K&N prices.

Recently did my brakes and rotors. Genuine Dealer Front drilled Rotors ($200 for both), front Akebono brakes + sensor ($70). The process is almost the same as an impreza.

Major repairs on the other hand WILL be EXPENSIVE, but do your homework and find a well maintained c230 to avoid these headaches. Again, take care of it and you should not need major repairs.

If you wife wants a coupe 15k is a tad on the expensive side. Coupes usually go for cheaper. Key is to check out its maintenance and its owner.

Last edited by iLikeTofu; 09-29-2011 at 12:18 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:24 AM

Car Info: 2004 USDM STI
Had a 2002 C32 AMG, and while it was a nice car, the electronics sucked. Radio would stop working until you "reboot" it. Sensors telling you bulbs are out, but they weren't. Intercooler pump going out, no dipstick to check oil levels, heated seats sometimes worked, sometimes not, etc. Unlike most cars, you don't get under the care live a caveman to change the oil, you pump it out from the top. You'll need some tools for that.

I think the newer generation of C-class is alot better.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by iLikeTofu
So much hate on the c230.

I have an 06 c230 sport and I LIKE it like tofu. Its slow and its looks good. Does not attract attention and gets really good mpg for a v6. It gets better mpg than my 01 2.5RS driving the same route. Its comfortable, quiet and automatic.

I have driven an 02 coupe and the difference is pretty noticeable. The coupes are lighter and quicker. Exterior appeal wise, I prefer the sport sedan. c230s are common cars and there is a good enough community to get what you need in terms of DIY.

I've had the pleasure of working on an 02 coupe and my 06 sport. Yes everybody is right, the parts are more expensive, but the actual work is like any other car. I'm purely speaking on simple maintenance like oil, brakes, filters etc... Not difficult, just sometimes more compact than your typical Japanese car. Thankfully my car has had no problems and I do not foresee any as long as I maintain it properly. Like most cars, treat them nice and in turn they should treat you nice.....unless you get a lemon than sorry, your screwed.

For my oil change, I need about 8-9 quarts of Mobile 1 0-40w with the $15 oil filter. May seem expensive but I only need to change the oil about every ~8-9k miles so the cost is not THAT much more expensive. The coupe will be cheaper as it has a smaller engine than my v6. Air filter $60 cabin filter $30 - equivalent to K&N prices.

Recently did my brakes and rotors. Genuine Dealer Front drilled Rotors ($200 for both), front Akebono brakes + sensor ($70). The process is almost the same as an impreza.

Major repairs on the other hand WILL be EXPENSIVE, but do your homework and find a well maintained c230 to avoid these headaches. Again, take care of it and you should not need major repairs.

If you wife wants a coupe 15k is a tad on the expensive side. Coupes usually go for cheaper. Key is to check out its maintenance and its owner.

so does changing oil in your car require you to pump it out? no dipstick? now do you check the oil?

the coupe were looking at is an 05 with less than 60k miles for about $13k. It seems like a pretty good deal, but there's a lot of negative sentiment here regarding maintenance and such. I dont care that the car is "gutless", my wife was driving an 04 corolla before she got rid of it, obviously she doesnt care for power.

for 13k, I'm not seeing many options with that kind of mileage in that class of vehicle.

Quick Reply: opinions needed - Mercedes C230 coupe