Open Carry

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 02:27 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

Originally Posted by Spoolin415
Hey, look, someone else with common sense appears. The whole 'openly armed citizens deter criminals' thing only works if there are more openly armed good guys than bad guys. Provided, that is, if the good guys even have their sidearms loaded.
do you think these UOC people dont have magazines ready to load with them?

sure it takes a couple or seconds to slap a magazine into a sidearm.

but then again, IIRC, the first 2 cops that the animal lovell mixon killed, was surprised and didnt have their sidearm drawn...
Old 11-19-2009, 02:56 PM

Car Info: Cage and Slicks and Wing OH MY!!
Originally Posted by Overbear
I disagree with you on a few parts, and I do disagree on the handcuffing part as that has already been thru court down in San Diego and the courts found the police did not have the right to cuff someone just for UOC'ing.

But for the most part I will say im impressed with your post
well for what its worth. san diego isnt oakland =)

like i said, im always willing to share information if your willing to discuss =)
Old 11-19-2009, 03:36 PM

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by ldivinag
do you think these UOC people dont have magazines ready to load with them?

sure it takes a couple or seconds to slap a magazine into a sidearm.

but then again, IIRC, the first 2 cops that the animal lovell mixon killed, was surprised and didnt have their sidearm drawn...
Point in case. You have officers who are required to train and qualify with their sidearm frequently and look what a few seconds and the element of surprise did there.

I'm sure the UOC people have loaded magazines on their person, but the element of surprise is hard to top. Which is why I stand by my original contention of CCW or nothing, for me personally of course. I couldn't care less if some yahoo decides to run around with a unloaded gun on their hip.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:49 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by flatline
well for what its worth. san diego isnt oakland =)

like i said, im always willing to share information if your willing to discuss =)
We need to get a east bay meet and shoot together. I end up going down to the san leandro range and have found myself shooting and trading guns with the alameda DA, and one of the judges, and quite a number of the sheriff. I tend to bring stuff they have not seen before

Last time I was down there, the DA let me shoot his carry gun, and I let him take a few mags from my colt 1903 pocket auto, it was amusing because he had never seen one before, and ended up loving it...of course I LOVED his kimber II carry, man I need one soon as I can pay off a few bills.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:25 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: non subarus
Point in case. You have officers who are required to train and qualify with their sidearm frequently and look what a few seconds and the element of surprise did there.

I'm sure the UOC people have loaded magazines on their person, but the element of surprise is hard to top. Which is why I stand by my original contention of CCW or nothing, for me personally of course. I couldn't care less if some yahoo decides to run around with a unloaded gun on their hip.
i think everybody would prefer CCW over UOC or even LOC but like what flatline said, CCW is almost non existent in the bayarea.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:38 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

you sure about that?

remember the former CHIEF of SFPD? she hadnt qualified for 5 years!!!!!!!

and i know of a local PD where their union agreement allocates them a box of ammo to train with, each month... but only a few does.

you think the element of surprise is gone because you CCW? plus, you have a jacket or some other clothing to get out of the way (after all, you are CONCEALED...). worse is if your holster is inside a pocket or a (man) purse.

and the worst case scenario is if you dont have one in the pipe already...
Old 11-19-2009, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by kspek
i think everybody would prefer CCW over UOC or even LOC but like what flatline said, CCW is almost non existent in the bayarea.
Of course, I don't think that even needs to be said.

But don't listen to me, I'm such an 'antigunner' I even went as far that shall issue CCW was a factor in my decision on where to move in the next few months.

Originally Posted by ldivinag
you sure about that?

remember the former CHIEF of SFPD? she hadnt qualified for 5 years!!!!!!!

and i know of a local PD where their union agreement allocates them a box of ammo to train with, each month... but only a few does.

you think the element of surprise is gone because you CCW? plus, you have a jacket or some other clothing to get out of the way (after all, you are CONCEALED...). worse is if your holster is inside a pocket or a (man) purse.

and the worst case scenario is if you dont have one in the pipe already...
Thats a shame about the qualifying times. My Lt. friend and few cop friends in SFPD said they have to qualify pretty frequently. I dunno, guess motivation and other things factor in too.

Again, this is all provided you practice drawing in realistic situations. I agree with you though, there are too many variables to these situations which is why I hate playing armchair QB.

And carrying without one in the chamber is as useless as carrying UOC, IMO.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:45 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Just cuz the gun is unloaded doesnt mean that bulletes cant be close at hand. Nothing wrong against the law there.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:12 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: AWD & RWD JDM
Originally Posted by psoper
I think most of those arguments, however well based in the understanding of our founding fathers, has been disproven so many times now that it is hardly worth discussing.

The US Civil War pretty much demonstrated that even reasonably well-armed militias are no match for national armies at the level the US was over 150 years ago, not to mention where we are today with world superpower status.

More recent incidents like Ruby Ridge and Waco to name but 2 of the most infamous such occurrences, should put to rest any rational person's believing that no matter how many guns they might own they have any chance of standing up against the "powers that be" in the USA, or just about anywhere else in the world.

Not bashing the 2nd amendment or anything- just pointing out how silly it is to think its original intent has any validity in the modern world.
So it's "silly" to value freedom in the modern world? Look at what's going on in Iran - do you think the government there could dominate it's people so well if every protestor were armed? Ruby Ridge and Waco and Ed/Elaine Brown etc. were iolated incidents, wherein we all generally felt like it wasn't our problem, so the government did its thing. That's a far cry from something that has already happened in our "modern" world (i.e. the corralling of Jews in **** Germany). So according to your reasoning, we should just do whatever the government says and not believe that we have a right to assert our Constitutionally-protected rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. So if the government starts rounding up random groups of people here in the US (modern world example of Japanese and Chinese ethnic Americans), let's just all hop on the bus/train/whatever and chant "Hope and Change!"
Old 11-19-2009, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by herrjr
So it's "silly" to value freedom in the modern world? Look at what's going on in Iran - do you think the government there could dominate it's people so well if every protestor were armed? Ruby Ridge and Waco and Ed/Elaine Brown etc. were iolated incidents, wherein we all generally felt like it wasn't our problem, so the government did its thing. That's a far cry from something that has already happened in our "modern" world (i.e. the corralling of Jews in **** Germany). So according to your reasoning, we should just do whatever the government says and not believe that we have a right to assert our Constitutionally-protected rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. So if the government starts rounding up random groups of people here in the US (modern world example of Japanese and Chinese ethnic Americans), let's just all hop on the bus/train/whatever and chant "Hope and Change!"
While I agree, don't you think Americans have relinquished most of their power to the .gov? Not only that, but take a look at whos around you next time you're out and about. Do you really think you could get the common sheep to take arms and risk giving up their $5 morning latte and comfortable complacency? I'm not holding my breath for any kind of major revolution. On a small scale, possibly, but they would be labeled as 'right wing terrorists' and get squashed by the government. Anything major? Wouldn't bet on it in my lifetime.

A good example of this is with taxes. Almost everyone hates the increases and basic robbery they boil down to when you look at what you give vs. what you get back, but the few who speak out either get thrown in jail or get labeled as nuts.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:56 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

Originally Posted by CharT
You have to be careful here. I'm not sure if the law is so clear about this as the magazine can be considered a part of the gun. A speedloader for revolvers would be different, but a magazine is a part of a semi-automatic and bullets loaded in the magazine could, in the legal sense, be construed as bullets loaded in the gun.
people vs clark cleared this issue up...

unless the cartridge is actually in place where it's ready to fire, then the firearm aint loaded...

for example, you can TAPE the magazine full of ammo to the side of a semi auto, and the people vs clark says that aint loaded...
Old 11-19-2009, 07:55 PM
VIP Member

While I agree, don't you think Americans have relinquished most of their power to the .gov? Not only that, but take a look at whos around you next time you're out and about. Do you really think you could get the common sheep to take arms and risk giving up their $5 morning latte and comfortable complacency? I'm not holding my breath for any kind of major revolution. On a small scale, possibly, but they would be labeled as 'right wing terrorists' and get squashed by the government. Anything major? Wouldn't bet on it in my lifetime.

A good example of this is with taxes. Almost everyone hates the increases and basic robbery they boil down to when you look at what you give vs. what you get back, but the few who speak out either get thrown in jail or get labeled as nuts.
I absolutely agree, and I am very saddened by it.

Did you know that you pay a tax on tax, in CA? Just buy some bottled water, only water, and see how much more you have to pay aside from the price of the water itself. It's just outrageous. And I absolutely recognize the issue with income taxes (mainly). Since I now pay more in income taxes than I used to earn, I am disgusted with the amount of waste and notions regarding spending that occurs in the Federal Government on a daily basis. On top of that, they make we wait on their time to get back my 5-figure refund that they owe me from overcharging me throughout the last year, while I am on an absolute deadline (again, on their time) to file a return to them every year. Hello mother****ers, I have to constantly stress for that money, and have to earn my job every SINGLE month, and they just take away SO much of it, and for what? What do I get for all that money taken? I get the promise that more will be taken, because some sell out puppets have perceived it to be their right to enact laws to take away more from people like me.

It is very disheartening that the masses do not know the 16th Amendment, and its impact on all of our lives. It is very troubling, to imagine that most people living in this country do not have a single clue, why the Founding Fathers wanted a revolution. I wonder, as this nonsense continues, what is it going to take? Or must we all suffer the inevitable consequences? People need to read American history, and 20th-century history of all major countries, or at least pick up an Ayn Rand novel. Recognizing this, you're absolutely right - What can I, an individual, do? I did not pick up arms to help defend Ed and Elaine Brown, even though the principle that they were fighting for affects me as well. But at least I know better, and the more it all coalesces, the harder it will be for more and more of us to turn our backs on this dire situation. Call me an optimist.

Last edited by herrjr; 11-19-2009 at 08:28 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 11-19-2009, 07:58 PM

Car Info: Nadda
16th Amendment wasn't passed correctly.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:26 PM
VIP Member

The proper term is "ratified," but yes, it may very well be the case that the Federal Government has been illegally collecting income tax since 1913.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:04 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Wagon
To be fair, you're allowed to adjust your income tax withholdings so that you don't end up with a huge refund come tax time. You'll get your money with each paycheck instead of waiting an entire year. If you're getting a 5-figure refund for the year, you need to file a new W-4 with your employer.

Originally Posted by herrjr
...It's just outrageous. And I absolutely recognize the issue with income taxes (mainly). Since I now pay more in income taxes than I used to earn, I am disgusted with the amount of waste and notions regarding spending that occurs in the Federal Government on a daily basis. On top of that, they make we wait on their time to get back my 5-figure refund that they owe me from overcharging me throughout the last year, while I am on an absolute deadline (again, on their time) to file a return to them every year. Hello mother****ers, I have to constantly stress for that money, and have to earn my job every SINGLE month, and they just take away SO much of it, and for what? What do I get for all that money taken? I get the promise that more will be taken, because some sell out puppets have perceived it to be their right to enact laws to take away more from people like me...

Quick Reply: Open Carry