Oil Pressure Gauge-reading only while revving?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 12:57 PM

Car Info: 07 STI
Oil Pressure Gauge-reading only while revving?

Ok so heres the deal,
I just installed a maddad oil pressure gauge using all the supplied parts and a greddy oil sandwich adapter. Everything is installed correctly so I know that isn't the issue. The problem is that the gauge only gives a reading while you are revving the motor or and driving at higher rpms.

Possible problem?
The greddy sandwich adapter is a japanese part while the maddad gauge is america so the threads were different. To compensate for this I had a new whole drilled and tapped into the sandwich adapter so I could get the oil pressure unit in place. Could this be the reason that its only reading while revving?
Btw at idle it reads 0psi when warmed up and ~105 while driving/revving. Also, I tested the oil pressure and it is perfectly fine.
-John
Old 11-30-2006, 01:47 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by JRsWRX
Ok so heres the deal,
I just installed a maddad oil pressure gauge using all the supplied parts and a greddy oil sandwich adapter. Everything is installed correctly so I know that isn't the issue. The problem is that the gauge only gives a reading while you are revving the motor or and driving at higher rpms.

Possible problem?
The greddy sandwich adapter is a japanese part while the maddad gauge is america so the threads were different. To compensate for this I had a new whole drilled and tapped into the sandwich adapter so I could get the oil pressure unit in place. Could this be the reason that its only reading while revving?
Btw at idle it reads 0psi when warmed up and ~105 while driving/revving. Also, I tested the oil pressure and it is perfectly fine.
-John
if it's an electronic guage, make sure the ground wire is grounded well. Also, invest in grounding your car beter with a ground kit or making your own.

Not having a clean electrical system makes the gauges act funny. Like my EGT gauge get weird when I have the headlight, foglight and other electrical items turned on in my car, and that even with a Buddy club voltage stabilizer and ground kit.

-Gagan
Old 11-30-2006, 03:33 PM

Car Info: 07 STI
yeah maybe I will buy a grounding kit, or make my own. I'm thinking the ground for this gauge could just not be too great because I have 3 other gauges all of which are running fine.
thanks,
john