Oil Bath

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 08:38 PM

Car Info: WR Blue Wagon
Oil Bath

No, not some fancy spa treatment. Just old dirty 5w-30. Hey, at least it was full synthetic!

I needed an oil change before a weekend of car abuse. Not feeling like rolling around on the cold ground in the dark, I called my friend to see if I could do it at his shop. Always easier with the car up in the air, right?

So I roll it up, lift it, roll the oil pan cart under it, loosen the drain plug... mind it has taken almost as long to write this as it took to do that.... not much in the way of cooling off time... the hot oil hits the oil pan and there is a groove in it that it hits just wrong and it starts spraying all over me and the ground. I try to block it with my hand.. that's hot... ouch...

I ended up with oil up to my elbow, including my watch, ruined shirt and pants and a big mess to clean up. Geez.. should have been in and out in 15 minutes, but it took me at least that long just to just to spread and sweep the kitty litter. So much for making it easier. I have never made such a mess changing oil in my life.