Official: Oakland Raiders 2011/2012 Season thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 05:51 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
I'm not sold because he really mortgage the franchise on this deal. Whether it ends up being worth the risk or not does not take away from the fact that it's such a colossal risk which could really set the team back if it doesn't work out.

I know he was under the gun with the trade line just 2 days after his qb has a season ending injury, so I understand the urgency and the desire to improve. I just think he put too many chips on the table for this.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:06 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by Superglue WRX
I'm not sold because he really mortgage the franchise on this deal. Whether it ends up being worth the risk or not does not take away from the fact that it's such a colossal risk which could really set the team back if it doesn't work out.

I know he was under the gun with the trade line just 2 days after his qb has a season ending injury, so I understand the urgency and the desire to improve. I just think he put too many chips on the table for this.

My first response was exactly this. But after reading up on the trade it's not as risky as it sounds.

Risking the one first round draft pick is sketchy but given the situation I can understand it. They are winning and stand a good chance of making the playoffs this year. With Boller back there and Pryor as the number 2 it would be much harder and if Boller gets hurt they're screwed. No depth at QB.

So given the situation, they needed a QB right away and he had to be a starter. There were only a few available and none of them have the potential upside that Palmer has and every one available was gonna cost draft picks because everyone knew the Raiders were on the ropes.

If he doesn't do well and they miss the playoffs they loose 1 first round pick. Sucks but it's worth the pick as they can get JC back next year if they need him and they can still do well lower in the draft as they mostly need defensive depth and lineman.

QB wise... they're doing o.k. with JC, they have Pryor to develop, Boller at back up. If Palmer succeeds they loose 2 draft picks but they have a killer QB for a few years and time to develop Pryor and whoever they draft later on.

Given the situation I'm really hoping it's worth the risk. If he can stay smart and keep is QB rating over 90 and throw for 4000 yards the raiders will be tough to beat with McFadden running for well over 1000 and Bush running for 500 and a bunch of TD's.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:35 PM

Car Info: Nadda
STL won't pick up Luck, if they are somehow #1 in the draft, I guarantee they'll trade down. Bradford is the stud, his stuff is accurate... just count how many times his players have dropped the ball. The last game with the 49ers I saw a bunch and a lot of them were 3rd downs. It'd be a different team if they had weapons who can hang onto the football.

Miami is hurt, Vikings maybe, but they're benching McNabb for the rookie.
Colts might be near the top spot, and might make a play for it. Nowadays, with all the injuries to QBs and how fast people get hurt in this game, you definitely want some depth @ the QB position.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:06 PM

If Palmer plays against the Chiefs, I don't expect much from him considering he has only 4 days of practice to get acclimated to the Raiders offense and playbook. Hope he's a quick learner.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:11 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by TurnWRX
If Palmer plays against the Chiefs, I don't expect much from him considering he has only 4 days of practice to get acclimated to the Raiders offense and playbook. Hope he's a quick learner.
Supposedly Cinci used a similar system to the Raiders. So it may not take him too long.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:15 PM

Still not sold that he's going to take this offense to the next level. Granted, Boller wasn't going to either, but I don't expect him to jump in after the bye and have the timing and play calling figured out.

I think he is going to struggle for a while and I think that's going to hurt our playoff chances. I hope I'm wrong, but I think Palmer's going to disappoint fans in his first few starts.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:15 PM

Horrible start with Boller so far. Throws interception leading to a 50 yard td

Is it still too early to start the "We want Palmer" chants yet? lol
Old 10-23-2011, 02:59 PM

Lol, fullhouse in Oakland to see the following so far.

Boller throw 3 picks, including a pick 6.
DMC injure is foot again (you guys said who gave a damn at qb!).
Giordano + Janikowski + McClain hurt.
Lets a CB wildcat run in untouched.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:04 PM

Is it me? Or are Palmer's throws missing a bit of zip? Hmmm
Old 10-23-2011, 03:32 PM

oooo pick 6'ed Palmer joins Boller
Old 10-23-2011, 04:03 PM

Both raider QBs aren't doing well, but some of that blame should be with the receivers. They dropped quite a few passes today. Either way, time to move on and prepare for the next game 2 weeks from now.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:06 PM

Forgot to add, was a good thing Palmer didn't get seriously injured when one of the defense took a cheap shot at his knee when he first came into the game.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:16 PM

Palmer.... terrible trade, or worst trade ever?

I knew I shouldn't have gotten comforatable with the Raiders winning.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Superglue WRX
Palmer.... terrible trade, or worst trade ever?

I knew I shouldn't have gotten comforatable with the Raiders winning.
Comon, he only had 3 days of actual practice with the Raiders along with 9 months of rust. Doesn't know the playbook and hasn't developed chemistry with the receivers just yet. Receivers didn't help either with all the dropped passes. Give him 1-2 more games before u judge him...
Old 10-23-2011, 04:32 PM

Yea, too early to tell. We knew it wasn't going to be pretty and fancy since he hasn't had any snaps at all. I still don't see a good follow through or zip on the ball though.

Anywho, Oakland went from sold out to shut out. We'll see a different team in a couple of weeks... and Oakland probably won't see any of DMC for half of the remaining season if not the rest of it.

Quick Reply: Official: Oakland Raiders 2011/2012 Season thread