The Official Bay Area killzone thread!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 09:27 PM

Car Info: Cage and Slicks and Wing OH MY!!
holy crap!!!!!

makes me want to go Boar hunting!!!!
Old 04-08-2009, 10:26 PM

Car Info: 94 Integra beater: one Slow 3 Series RIP EvoX
Originally Posted by Overbear
OH yea they are mean as hell. First one I shot when I was 14 out with my dad. I was warned, DO NOT SHOT IT IN THE HEAD (the skull plate is to thick for a 30-30 round). well I hit it in the skull, it got back up, chased me into the back of the truck, jumped into the back of the truck,(while I screamed like a little girl) and I unloaded my handgun into it...dad came running and unloaded a M1-Carbine into it, and it finally died...19 rounds total. He weighed in at 190 pounds, about the size of a small sheep.

My rifle of choice is my Model 700 chambered in .243, however the last trip out I was carrying a .454 caskull handgun, its called handgun hunting and it was fun!
that must have been scary!
A 300 winmag would probably do they job
Old 04-08-2009, 10:50 PM

Car Info: Cage and Slicks and Wing OH MY!!
.338 lapua
.408 cheytac
.50 bmg

those should all do the trick =)
Old 04-08-2009, 11:09 PM

Car Info: '14 Cayman
hook me up with some boar sausages when you guys are all done
Old 04-09-2009, 06:37 AM

Car Info: 07 STi EQ tuned / 08 LEGACY
can u even make a boar sausage?
Old 04-09-2009, 07:06 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by subybullet
can u even make a boar sausage?
Oh hell yes you can, and if you get a good butcher it comes out fantastic! Damn you guys are making me want to go hunting this year.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:20 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by PikkaGTR
that must have been scary!
A 300 winmag would probably do they job
Ok here is the whole story, keep in mind I am 14 at the time.

My dad and uncle got a offer to come out to Santa Rosa island and bring a crew of 5 other guys, to rewire all the main power from the ranch house to the barn and the bunkhouse(Dad and friends were SCE for 30 years).

So the deal was, we got as much boar as we wanted because boar dig up tubers, and the holes they dug would cause the cattle to trip and break their legs, thereby lowering the value of the beef. We got one deer per "family group" so dad and I got a deer, and we got a elk to split up among everyone in the group, plus all the abalone we wanted.

Second day of the trip Al, the owner of the island at the time decides he is going to take us boar hunting up the back side of the island from a truck. So we pile in and up we go. Dad spots a cluster of about 20 boar off to the right side of the truck and everyone piles off, but I spot 2 BIG boar to our right. Well dumb *** me thinks "I can do this myself I don't need dad" I line up a shot, and *boom* down one goes, the other takes off running. Well what I didn't realize is I aimed high, and instead of putting it thru his chest and into his heart, I hit him dead center in the forehead, the thickest part of the skull on a boar. Turns out the round hit, flattened and cracked the bone, then raced up the curve of the forehead and exited the top of his head...only doing meat damage, never getting thru the skullplate, but knocking him out for a moment.

Now big bad hunter OB yells "Got one" over his shoulder and racks the winchester to make sure its ready to shoot again...just in case. Then starts to walk twords the boar who is about 30 feet away. At about 15 feet away, said boar starts to stand up so, 14yo OB panic fires, the round going thru the shoulder meat doing some damage but not enough to do more than make the boar dip to the side, then grunt...and charge!

I did what any self respecting proud 14yo would do, dropped my gun and ran screaming like a little girl! I lept into the back of the stake bed truck just as the boar hit the bumper, rocking the entire truck up on its springs about 2 inches. At this point I realized I had my handgun on me...a .22 magnum(LOL). So I drew and snapped 3 rounds into its back...that just pissed it off more, and into the back of the truck it came. I went up on the roof in a scramble and said boar smashed its head thru the back window of the truck as I dumped my last 3 rounds into it praying it would fall. Suddenly there is my dad and uncle at the side of the truck, and unloading round after round into the boar, I believe the count we got was 19, not counting any that went thru and exited the boars body. So it goes down in a slump, and big bad hunter OB sobs like a baby for a good half hour while everyone else in the group as a good laugh.

Lesson learned, DO NOT shoot boar in head, it just makes them mad.

Last edited by Overbear; 04-09-2009 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:41 AM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
Now that is a good kill story.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:58 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Boars are pretty nasty, and there is still a lot of boar hunting done on the Big Island in HI. My neighbor when I moved back for a while in '05 was a very avid boar hunter and would load up his dogs and head out every time there was a family gathering. He told me they would usually have the dogs find them and run them down once wounded but it depended a lot on the terrain as the boars are absolutely deadly in lower plant growth since they can hide and then charge before you know what's up - and these guys are mean and armed with big tusks. He said they preferred to finish them off with knives which is just fooking nuts and cost them a couple cousins and many scars but this is also the guy I heard about in high school for dragging a shark in whilst fishing for Ulua on the southeast coast. The Ulua he had pics of were bigger than him and the garage was lined with boar tusks. Not sure if I would be down for getting that close to a pissed off boar with two knives but this is their hunting tradition I guess.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:59 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by ish
Now that is a good kill story.
Yeah, up close and personal there - intense.